Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/30/2020 12:29 am  #11

Re: Obscure/rare CJ works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bjli94lygji71v/20200630_135749.jpg?dl=0

I received these today.  The one on the left contains CJ's essay "Goodbye Star Wars, Hello Alley-Oop", whereas the other is the book that introduced me to the alternate history sub-genre more than 50 years ago.

I finally found an affordable hardcover version and it turned out to be in Western Australia.   Serendipity or what?

PS I can't seem to get the image to imbed directly.  I must be doing something wrong.

Last edited by Surtac (6/30/2020 12:34 am)

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

6/30/2020 3:09 pm  #12

Recently received "Swords and Dark Magic", including "A Wizard in Wizecan". A nice story, worth reading if you come across a copy. It's in the same world as "A Thief in Korianth" (which  won the 1982 Balrog Award for best short fiction).

Last edited by Aja Jin (6/30/2020 3:09 pm)

8/19/2021 10:05 pm  #13

Eldest Daughter (who was known as Hilfy on a previous incarnation of this board) has given herself a project dear to my heart to keep her mental health  under control in our present local COVID lockdown.

That project is to help fill the holes in my collection of Cherryh works in hardcover form (and at my expense of course, but that's ok).  She's been having discussions on Farcebook about whether there was ever a Phantasia Press edition of Downbelow Station and seems to have encountered a personage who may have been the starter of this particular thread.  I'm wondering if in fact that's the case, eh mahe?

If it is, I might have to rejoin Farcebook under my real identity to participate in that specific community.

8/20/2021 7:37 am  #14

Surtac wrote:

Eldest Daughter (who was known as Hilfy on a previous incarnation of this board) has given herself a project dear to my heart to keep her mental health  under control in our present local COVID lockdown.

That project is to help fill the holes in my collection of Cherryh works in hardcover form (and at my expense of course, but that's ok).  She's been having discussions on Farcebook about whether there was ever a Phantasia Press edition of Downbelow Station and seems to have encountered a personage who may have been the starter of this particular thread.  I'm wondering if in fact that's the case, eh mahe?

If it is, I might have to rejoin Farcebook under my real identity to participate in that specific community.

Yeah that would be me. 

Facebook is a goldmine for books, publishers, collectors, publishers, etc. As for Phantasia, the publisher Alec Berman has become active, and has been selling his remaining original books. Many of the Cherryh books are available, usually at original list:

https://www.phantasiapress.com/pricing-and-availability  ("most" available in trade, some in limited)

I had a mix of Phantasia numbered/signed and trade edition (no slipcase, not signed, but otherwise the same book). I "upgraded" the trades and have a complete Phantasia set (7 books). I think all are "true firsts" (published before the corresponding editions from DAW), except Pride. The true first thing was a signature of Phantasia, and many of the books (out of 49 in total) are firsts. 

In potential good and great news, Alec is going to try to bring Phantasia back. I suggested Downbelow Station for the first release (as he had a good relationship with CJ and Betsy at DAW). He though it was a good idea, and said "I know how to contact them" !  So, maybe it will happen !

8/20/2021 8:33 am  #15

Well, that's exciting.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

8/20/2021 7:19 pm  #16

Absolutely, that is good news if it comes to fruition.  I know that Betsy has said in the past that she regrets not publishing Downbelow Station in hardcover, so this would be a fitting result.  (As an aside, I believe Angel With the Sword was DAW's first hardcover, just quietly).

Anyway I guess there's now no excuse for me not to rejoin Farcebook (at least in a limited fashion).

8/21/2021 12:41 am  #17

Surtac wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bjli94lygji71v/20200630_135749.jpg?dl=0

I received these today.  The one on the left contains CJ's essay "Goodbye Star Wars, Hello Alley-Oop", whereas the other is the book that introduced me to the alternate history sub-genre more than 50 years ago.

I finally found an affordable hardcover version and it turned out to be in Western Australia.   Serendipity or what?

PS I can't seem to get the image to imbed directly.  I must be doing something wrong.

And the one on the right was my first Roberts, recommended by the recent recipient! 😉

One world -- or none

8/21/2021 12:42 am  #18

Aja Jin wrote:

Latest find. Published in June 1987, 206 copies. Non-fiction, but too tempting to pass up. 

That is a wonderful find!

One world -- or none

9/23/2023 2:27 pm  #19

An unusual item came up while book searching (on Abebooks I think). It's an unbound proof called "Gehenna Output", which became 40,000 in Gehenna. It looks to be a photocopy of a dot-matrix printout. The maps are hand drawn (I don't know if CJ did them, but I'll ask), and the family tress have a few hand written additions. There are a few corrections in the text body (things like correcting an uncapitalized sentence). I wrapped the sections in glassine and got a cheap archival box for storage.

9/23/2023 4:19 pm  #20

What a lovely find.  Well done, mahe!

Board footera

Contact the Guild