Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2020 7:57 am  #1

Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking

I've just been rereading this, It's wonderful combination of memoir, family history and overview of the last century of Russian/Soviet history through the lens of its food.

6/27/2020 5:52 pm  #2

Re: Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking

I have no doubt it’s good, as you have indicated. But maybe they could have made the title more enticing. I’m thinking of borscht, herring and a cold wash of vodka, and I don’t know where to go from there. A blintze, maybe?

One world -- or none

6/28/2020 10:04 am  #3

it was a Julia Childs reference, published at the end of her era.

6/28/2020 3:56 pm  #4

I’m convinced it’s well worth it 🐸

One world -- or none

6/28/2020 7:56 pm  #5

I think you'd enjoy it.

6/29/2020 2:31 pm  #6

Have you ever been to the Russian restaurants on Coney Island, Star-ji? I went once in another lifetime, but don’t recall much about the cuisine but the book sounds very enticing👍

7/04/2020 12:43 am  #7

Kokipy wrote:

Have you ever been to the Russian restaurants on Coney Island, Star-ji? I went once in another lifetime, but don’t recall much about the cuisine but the book sounds very enticing👍

Does the Russian Tea Room count?

One world -- or none

7/06/2020 7:50 pm  #8

No that’s kind of a  Disney world venue I think. The chicken in the Coney Island restaurants iirc is a bit stringy, a bit gamey, and there is no caviar in sight. One feels a kind of gritty authenticity. I went with a couple of SDNY prosecutors about 33 years ago, so my memory is a bit hazy. But it is not an area frequented by visitors so much. 

7/07/2020 1:05 am  #9

I will take it under advisement. I can guarantee it will be some time yet before I visit one of these preserves of history. Probably post-vaccine 🤯

One world -- or none

7/07/2020 4:43 pm  #10

I don’t actually recommend it. My memory is that it was subpar food. 

Board footera

Contact the Guild