Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/25/2024 10:46 am  #401

Re: What have you been reading lately?

I don’t think we can underestimate the ease and waste of our digital lives. The world is addicted to it; why not erstwhile readers? It may be only one of many factors, and it’s hard and dispiriting to police even for oneself. I Am trying to take it on.

One world -- or none

9/25/2024 1:34 pm  #402

Agree with Smartcat and Joe about the current appeal of rereading.  I did the whole Chanur saga again last year and reveled in it.  And I find myself conjuring up favorite memories from Victoria Goddard’s books- a relatively new obsession thanks to Pence ❤️.  But  I don’t want to reread them so often that they become too familiar. 

9/25/2024 5:32 pm  #403

I am, however,  looking forward to the new Neal Stephenson which should be here later this fall. 

9/25/2024 5:36 pm  #404

I was just at Amazon buying Stephen and Evie Colbert’s new cookbook for my significant other’s upcoming birthday (I left it too late to buy it from Bookshop.org, which is my preference)  and saw that their production company is working on a TV series based on Zelazney’s Chronicles of Amber. Whew. That would be fun!!! Another series I've not revisited for quite some time, but which was a great favorite some decades back. 

Last edited by Kokipy (9/25/2024 5:37 pm)

9/28/2024 12:55 pm  #405

Just finished an unusual book called Everything for Everyone, which is organized as a series of interviews in about 2068 of people living in an around what used to be NYC, about their role in the revolution and communization of world society, and, as to the younger interviewees, how they have experienced their lives in the communal existence.  There are notes and flavors of KSR but on the whole it is completely unlike anything else I’ve ever read.  I would be quite interested to know if anyone else has read it and has thoughts. 

9/28/2024 3:01 pm  #406

Slowly chugging my way through yet another ponderous Orson Scott Card book: Pathfinder. Boy spends sooo much time deliniating logic.

9/28/2024 5:01 pm  #407

Kokipy wrote:

Just finished an unusual book called Everything for Everyone, which is organized as a series of interviews in about 2068 of people living in an around what used to be NYC, about their role in the revolution and communization of world society, and, as to the younger interviewees, how they have experienced their lives in the communal existence.  There are notes and flavors of KSR but on the whole it is completely unlike anything else I’ve ever read.  I would be quite interested to know if anyone else has read it and has thoughts. 

Thanks Kokipy.  I haven't read it yet but I've just grabbed a copy for The Pile and I'd probably start it immediately if I hadn't started on the new Ian McDonald yesterday.

I like oral histories as a format.  I think they can work well for both fiction and non-fiction alike.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

9/28/2024 5:32 pm  #408

Kokipy wrote:

however, Surtac, I can recommend to you a US crime novelist, William Kent Kruger, who writes about murders in the cold and rural parts of Minnesota, home of, among other notables, Tim Walz. There are about 21 of  them and they are pretty good so far.  I have only read the first 3 but look forward to getting the rest at some point.  They are the kind of book I would rather check out of the library than buy at this point. 
also, have you read the books the TV show Slow Horses are based on? I thought they were terrific. Mick Herron is the author.

Just realised I hadn't responded to this when I meant to (life here at Chateau Dysfunction has been somewhat feral over the last few weeks).
I will check out Kruger.  Thanks, he's one I hadn't heard of.  And yes, I have read all the Mick Herrons, including the books / series he wrote before the Slough House books took off. They're all pretty good.

10/01/2024 8:20 pm  #409

I'm currently about a third of the way through the new Ian McDonald, The Wilding, and enjoying it a lot.  It's not Hopeland but it clearly isn't meant to be.  Nor is it anything like his recent Luna hard SF sequence.  If anything it reminds me of his much earlier works - I'm thinking here of Tendeleo's Story, or King of Morning, Queen of Day and so on.
The setting is modern day Ireland, post-COVID lockdowns in a large re-wilding project that promotes eco-tourism and hosts school groups overnight. Recall that McDonald's day job was (is??) in TV drama production and I'm already imagining a 2020s twist on 1980s teen horror films.  We'll see shortly, I guess.

I'm seeing hints and glimpses in this already of recent Liz Williams books, along with M John Harrison and the late, great Graham Joyce.  It's a good read so far.

10/05/2024 5:27 pm  #410

I finished The Wilding by Ian McDonald.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone to likes their conteporary fantasy at the very dark end of the spectrum.  I repeat, it is not SF.

This is not a story of effing sparkly vampires or sodding rainbow unicorns.  This is Old Wyrd Britain at its deepest and darkest.  It is all about spirit of place and the fact that civilisation has edges and history is built in layers.  It is folkloric horror, where the coffin roads and leylines of Hookland meet the spirit gates at the entrance to a modern farmer's field. 

I was reminded very much of the early Sarah Pinborough books in her Dog Faced Gods series, and of course Liz Williams' recent Fallow Sisters novels, but there was a particular Graham Joyce book that resonated in my mind as I read this (Joyce's protagonist could so easily have been a younger, opposite-gendered version of McDonald's protagonist here).

McDonald's writing is just getting better and better, full of sneaky literary allusions, deft turns of phrase, and some sly musical jokes that had me laughing out loud in places.

And now I have to re-read some old favourite Graham Joyce works.

Board footera

Contact the Guild