Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/21/2024 2:25 am  #371

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Kokipy wrote:

I just finished a back to back read/reread of The Ministry of Time, by Kaliane Bradley.  I really enjoyed it.  It’s a first novel.  She is an author I hope will keep on writing! 

At first I thought you were referring to this series, which I started but never finished, though iirc wasn’t bad:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4136774/

This sounds good - I may try it after I finish Hilary Mantel's A Place of Greater Safety, her novel of the French Revolution 

One world -- or none

6/21/2024 9:52 am  #372

I’m re-reading some Neal Asher — Dark Intelligence, now on War Factory, then on to Infinity Engine.  

The Polity Universe is like a dark mirror to The Culture. A Banks/Asher collaboration would have been amazing, but sadly, never to be. 

6/21/2024 6:19 pm  #373

Aja Jin wrote:

I’m re-reading some Neal Asher — Dark Intelligence, now on War Factory, then on to Infinity Engine.  

The Polity Universe is like a dark mirror to The Culture. A Banks/Asher collaboration would have been amazing, but sadly, never to be. 

I think the last Asher I read was The Warship a few years back.  Not sure now why he fell off my radar - I'll check out what he has been up to.

And I agree with your point about the Polity and the Culture.  I'd love to see Asher's Sniper character go up against a Murderer or Psychopath class ROU.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

6/21/2024 7:39 pm  #374

Star, I loved A Place Of Greater Safety, and I am remembering the night at the theater with you, Starlady and my spouse when we saw Wolf Hall. AND said Hello to the author 

6/22/2024 8:46 am  #375

One of the books I received last week is The Poppy War by Rebecca Huang, author of Babel.  I was not impressed.  It was her first, I guess. But it seems very derivative.  Interesting tho the way she wove in The Art Of War, and other classic Chinese works and so on. Also The Rape of Nanjing.  But after I read that book many years ago I didn’t really want to revisit the horror. I am more in the mood these days for escapist happy fiction 😳 or at least escapist!  

6/22/2024 11:33 am  #376

Kokipy wrote:

Star, I loved A Place Of Greater Safety, and I am remembering the night at the theater with you, Starlady and my spouse when we saw Wolf Hall. AND said Hello to the author 

I remember it well. I was all the more saddened at her passing having met her with you!

One world -- or none

6/22/2024 6:05 pm  #377

Kokipy wrote:

One of the books I received last week is The Poppy War by Rebecca Huang, author of Babel.  I was not impressed.  It was her first, I guess. But it seems very derivative.  Interesting tho the way she wove in The Art Of War, and other classic Chinese works and so on. Also The Rape of Nanjing.  But after I read that book many years ago I didn’t really want to revisit the horror. I am more in the mood these days for escapist happy fiction 😳 or at least escapist!  

Agree about Poppy War. I didn’t continue the series. Babel is much better. 

6/27/2024 10:16 pm  #378

It's not yet July 1, but I've just finished what may be the best book I'll read this year.  And it's not fiction.

I need to do some serious thinking.

I'll get back to you shortly.

6/28/2024 2:58 am  #379

Surtac wrote:

It's not yet July 1, but I've just finished what may be the best book I'll read this year.  And it's not fiction.

I need to do some serious thinking.

I'll get back to you shortly.

Waiting with bated breath. What is this mystery book?

One world -- or none

7/01/2024 2:42 am  #380

Okay.  It's the book I found sitting unread for five years in my kindle TBR, that I had no idea was in there in the first place.

I'm going to kick it out to its own thread in the next few days with a piece I've already started drafting, because I want to be able to find it and build on it later.  It's very much connected to something I wanted to discuss last year about a certain fiction title but couldn't properly get into words at the time.

It's called The Music of the Future by Robert Barry and it's a very deceptive book.  It is not what it seems to be.

Board footera

Contact the Guild