Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2024 8:01 pm  #361

Re: What have you been reading lately?

I still haven't managed to connect with Translation Slate yet and put it aside again in favour of finishing an old Jack McDevitt I had in turn put aside some months back.

As it happened, the new Ken MacLeod, which I'd pre-ordered some time back, dropped onto the kindle as i was doing that , so I've jumped straight into Beyond the Light Horizon, the third volume in this trilogy.
Scottish submarine spaceships for the win, right?

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/16/2024 8:56 am  #362

I read Translation State the day it appeared on my Kindle! Connie Willis's Road to Roswell appeared at almost the same time. Now I'm wishing for another surfeit of new books, or maybe I'll just read them again. Very different, but I did enjoy both.

5/21/2024 5:40 pm  #363

I have finished the latest Ken MacLeod novel, Beyond the Light Horizon, which concludes his current trilogy.
It's a definite return to peak form for MacLeod in my opinion, very reminiscent of some of his earlier work and much more approachable and less dense than were the Corporation Wars books of more recent times.

Recommended.

Extra points for the appropriate deployment and correct usage in context of an ekranoplane.

6/05/2024 5:58 pm  #364

Taking a break from SF/F at the moment to reset my brain while waiting for new books in the tartan noir series I've been reading.

Got referred to a history title in another of my areas of interest and was horrified to discover it has been sitting unread on my kindle TBR pile for the last 5 years.  Remedying that now.

6/07/2024 7:33 am  #365

I've been reading about climate change and the ramifications thereof, and when my email offered me four Phryne Fisher novels for free (Kindle Unlimited) I snapped them up and have been indulging in escapism. (Still reading the NY Times and Washington Post daily, though.)

6/07/2024 11:18 am  #366

Thanks to your suggestion, Surtac, I picked up a Ken MacLeod novel. But this summer, I am doing writing on a novel I hope to publish. It's an Urban fantasy.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

6/07/2024 2:54 pm  #367

I'll look forward to reading it!

6/07/2024 4:56 pm  #368

thanks!

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

6/07/2024 5:34 pm  #369

Excellent - something else to look forward to!

6/14/2024 7:10 am  #370

I just finished a back to back read/reread of The Ministry of Time, by Kaliane Bradley.  I really enjoyed it.  It’s a first novel.  She is an author I hope will keep on writing! 

Board footera

Contact the Guild