Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2024 5:13 pm  #1

It's Just Not Cricket

If ever further proof was needed that T20 cricket was designed as a variation of the noble game to lure and seduce those with short attention spans to divert monies from their other ... diversions ... then it can be found in the article linked below..

I mean, as a fellow ex-Tasmaniac I am pleased that Punter has found a new gig to support his family, but really:  they had to call it Major League Cricket?

Ricky Ponting named as coach of Washington Freedom in Major League Cricket | Ricky Ponting | The Guardian

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

2/07/2024 8:52 pm  #2

Re: It's Just Not Cricket

They call the top leagues Major Soccer League, Major Baseball League, I guess they couldn't come up with anything original. 

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

2/08/2024 2:14 pm  #3

With no horse in this race, I trust your outrage is well placed!

One world -- or none

2/08/2024 7:43 pm  #4

It's more a final straw type reaction or moment, Star.

The generous marketing interpretation might be that modern day cricket has evolved into a form that gives its punters more of what they want than does the traditional form of the game.  

Rather than the commpelling ebb and flow of a slow chess match played over five days (and up to 540 overs) which doesn't always deliver a result, the T20 variant popularised and promoted internationally initially via the Indian Premier League pretty well does guarantee a win for one of the teams involved in a match. With one 20 over innings per side, and lasting only 3 to 4 hours in its entirety, it's a loud, brash counterpoint to the longer game.  Designed as spectacle, it's much more sizzle than it is steak.  Fast food rather than fine dining, to my eyes it looks a lot like cricket has been dumbed down to look more like baseball for a similar target audience, and for the benefit of the huge Indian sub-continent gambling industry that seems to control world cricket these days.

So seeing Ricky Ponting, former Australian Test cricket batsman and captain, whose nickname was Punter throughout his playing career because of his love of a bet, being named as coach for a T20 team in a competition labelled as Major League Cricket?  That was definitely going to set off my irony alarm.

Some bleak circus indeed.  Wasn't that the setting for a Checkov play?  Or was it Ibsen? I can't remember.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

Board footera

Contact the Guild