Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/09/2023 12:14 pm  #11

Re: Book shelving in new space

Pence wrote:

I'm now suffering from acute shelf envy.

i know, this is totally over the top, and a ridiculous extravagance. But it’s great 😍

One world -- or none

9/09/2023 12:16 pm  #12

Blond Tekikin wrote:

"The general approximation is 11-12 books per shelf foot."

My mother's old stunt was to have a double-depth bookshelves and shelve books behind books. (Since you're having them custom made.) Of course the books behind have to be things you don't want to access often & preferably are closely related to what is in front.

Yes, I’ve used that method. Part of it was to have room for all the books. But another was so as not to allow the shelves to metastasize all over the house, which happened anyway. This time, I’m fortunate to have a place away from everything else to be able to accommodate everything, without affecting the overall home appearance

One world -- or none

9/09/2023 12:17 pm  #13

Kokipy wrote:

Such an engaging project. I hope to see and drool over the finished presentation someday 

Indeed you shall! And maybe you even have the tech knowledge to post some pics here to share - I’ve never figured that out!

One world -- or none

9/09/2023 12:19 pm  #14

Aja Jin wrote:

We have a small place (1500 sq ft) so we have shelves everywhere. To add some more, I had some (somewhat) inexpensive shelves custom made out of plywood, for paperbacks, to fit behind a door. It's deliberately simple. It's 55 inches wide, 85 high, 6 inches deep. We sanded and painted, and I love the way in turned out. It holds about 500 books.

Lovely! This would have been perfect, but we got the instructions wrong, and we upsized as we’re getting older. I think the instructions said “downsize” 😨

One world -- or none

Board footera

Contact the Guild