Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2023 10:13 pm  #1

Is the Earth of the Atevi darker than our Earth?

So this is something I've been thinking about. The Foreigner books talk about how atevi have better vision than humans, particularly in dim or dark environments, but they've also mentioned that humans do have the advantage of better vision in very bright conditions, like midday in very clear and sunny weather, but that that just doesn't come up in a way that helps them as often because it's such a specific circumstance. Another thing is that the atevi solar system is described as being particularly "dusty" and full of space debris, resulting if far fewer stars abd constellations being visible than we have on our Earth. I'm not sure what all of the scientific details might be about that concept, but it seems reasonable to assume that if it can, canonically, block out the light of most stars, then it might, perhaps aided by other factors like, idk, the composition of the upper atmosphere maybe, be able to a reduce the brightness of the light they get from their sun. The atevi, having evolved on this planet and adapted to its conditions, would then be better adjusted to its typical light levels than the humans, who have adapted to the lighting on our Earth and might more frequently find that conditions on EotA are a little too dark for them. In other words, the atevi vision thing might be more of a "home field advantage" for them rather than inherently better vision. (This would, of course, probably mean that some artificial human spaces, like on the ship, might tend to be too bright for atevi comfort, which hasn't been mentioned directly but which I think is compatible with the general idea we see of human spaces tending to be visually unpleasant for them, right? The space isn't kabiu, the numbers and colors and whatnot are wrong, so might the lighting be.)

7/24/2023 9:23 am  #2

Re: Is the Earth of the Atevi darker than our Earth?

Nope. Cooler but nor darker.

7/24/2023 9:53 am  #3

I got to "speculating" a bit.  I wonder if CJC gave the atevi cat-like senses, such as acute night-vision and hearing because she is familiar with cats, having been a breeder, as well as keeping several fur-babies.  I have met two of her cats and one of Jane's and you can tell it's a cat-friendly home.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

7/24/2023 1:44 pm  #4

Griffinmoon wrote:

Nope. Cooler but nor darker.

Does it say this somewhere, or are you just disagreeing with the theory?

joekc6nlx wrote:

I got to "speculating" a bit.  I wonder if CJC gave the atevi cat-like senses, such as acute night-vision and hearing because she is familiar with cats, having been a breeder, as well as keeping several fur-babies.  I have met two of her cats and one of Jane's and you can tell it's a cat-friendly home.

Ahhh, that's an interesting possibility! I have to wonder about that, though, with regards to the fact that cats have their low-light-adapted vision because they're crepuscular, rather than diurnal like humans, because like, if atevi were crepuscular, wouldn't that have effects on their society that might be more noticable than would be compatible with what we see in the books?

7/24/2023 4:21 pm  #5

I'm thinking that it's said somewhere in a section where he first encounter with Atevi is described. A scientist is out analysing some plants and gets approached by a Local. Don't remember which book. 

7/24/2023 5:11 pm  #6

That's in the first book, and I can see where it says it's cold, but nothing about whether it's darker or not. I feel like it would be strange for anyone we get a viewpoint from to be able to say one way or another, since no one has been to both planets

7/24/2023 5:35 pm  #7

Griffinmoon wrote:

I'm thinking that it's said somewhere in a section where he first encounter with Atevi is described. A scientist is out analysing some plants and gets approached by a Local. Don't remember which book. 

I too
have a similar strong memory of the scene also.

But I remember too descriptions of darker conditions indoors - perhaps older constructions such as Malguri which pre-date 'modern' electrical lighting?

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

7/24/2023 5:54 pm  #8

I'm trying to find the part in question in my ebook of the first book -- do either of you recall any details of what it says about the light?

7/28/2023 8:57 pm  #9

The thing about the stars was a crack about humans not being able to invent constellations, like they existed on earth?

Very first book. The beginning, sort of prologue

7/29/2023 3:30 pm  #10

Blond Tekikin wrote:

The thing about the stars was a crack about humans not being able to invent constellations, like they existed on earth?

Very first book. The beginning, sort of prologue

Right, I know that part, but people are telling me that it says it not darker somewhere -- I want to know where they're getting that.

Board footera

Contact the Guild