Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2020 11:39 am  #1

Back to the Drawing Board

I saw my surgeon this morning with regards to my right elbow pain.  A CT scan last month shows bone fragments that have chipped off the bone and are floating around inside the joint.  The best solution right now is to go back in, clean out all of the fragments, smooth up the bones again, and release the adhesions from the previous surgery's scar tissue.  Surgery is scheduled for 3 weeks from today.  Any other option would result in the virtual debilitation of the arm, and would end most of my physical activities, and he doesn't want to take that route unless there's no other option. 

If this gets rid of the pain, I'm all for it, as it's been keeping me awake at night. I can't get comfortable, and any time I use the arm, it's painful.  It hurts when I don't do anything, it hurts when I do something, so what other choice do I have?

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

5/06/2020 11:47 am  #2

Re: Back to the Drawing Board

Good luck to you, Joe.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

5/06/2020 11:56 am  #3

After going through one broken bone, I'm very sympathetic with the idea of having to go in AGAIN. But, hopefully the procedure and recovery will not be too terrible, and result in good motion and no pain.

5/07/2020 1:47 am  #4

Hoping you find great relief on the other side!

One world -- or none

5/07/2020 3:54 am  #5

Sad to hear that, Joe.  Hoping it goes well for you.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/18/2020 6:29 pm  #6

9 days to go before surgery.  they've already set up the first physical therapy appointment for two days after surgery.  Follow-up with the doctor will be 14 days after surgery, and I'm sure I'll have at least two PT sessions per week following the first session.  Since I know what to expect, this is both easier and harder.  Easier because I know what exercises I'll be doing, so I don't have to re-learn new things.  Harder because I know what's in store when I do those exercises.  They're painful, but they have to be done.  The more I work at getting back to normal, the better it'll be.  Just so the darned bones don't do what they did this last time. 
On another note, I set up my appointment with my rheumatologist.  I haven't seen him face-to-face since January, and the last appointment was a telehealth call.  He couldn't check my hands at the time, and the only thing he has to go by is my blood work.  I don't have markers for rheumatoid arthritis, and about 20% of the people who have it don't show any blood markers.  I have to have blood work done every 3 months, and I think I am going to have to get an eye exam again in a few months.  I might have misunderstood him before when he first prescribed hydroxychloroquine for my RA.  One of its side effects is that it adversely affects the retinas and can lead to macular degeneration.  I had a baseline eye exam 2 years ago, it's time for another one, I believe.  I thought he'd said every 5 years, but again, I'll have to verify that.  I don't know how much my medications cost, except for the Humira injectors, which come to about $6,300.00 USD per month.  On top of the hydroxychloroquine, I'm also taking methotrexate, which has the unenviable side effect of causing my hair to fall out.  I'm taking folic acid and biotin to help offset as much hair loss as I can, but I fear it's a losing battle.  I also have male pattern baldness.    I've noticed occasional numbness in my right foot to the point where I can't move my foot, and it feels as though it's jammed into a boot that won't let it move.  I'm beginning to suspect that the RA is progressing to my feet, and possibly my other joints, as well.  Insidious disease.....my father's sisters had it, and this was before there were adequate medications to slow down the advance.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

5/27/2020 8:50 am  #7

I think Joe's going back under the knife today.  Good Luck, hope it turns out just fine!

5/27/2020 9:12 am  #8

Good luck Joe

5/27/2020 11:00 am  #9

Hope it goes great Joe!

One world -- or none

5/27/2020 11:14 am  #10

good luck, Joe

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002