Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2020 4:52 pm  #1

Obscure/rare CJ works

Many of us have a complete set of the commercially available CJ books. But there are more obscure and rare items. Uncommon books include 'Pieces of Eight' and 'Glass and Amber'. 

I just ordered (from Alibris) a copy of 'Four from the Witch World'. It includes a short story 'Stormbirds', which is not available anywhere else (as far as I know). 

I have a good friend who is a super-collector and dealer looking for 'Marion Zimmer Bradley's Fantasy Magazine #27' (Spring 1995), which has 'Pot of Dreams'.  It's written by CJ and Jane (maybe their first ???). It's referenced on page 242 of 'The Cherryh Odyssey'.

I submitted on eBay offer on something, let's see how that turns out. 

5/15/2020 5:13 pm  #2

Re: Obscure/rare CJ works

Just bought this on eBay. It'll be interesting to see what it is LOL. 

This is copy #29 of 200 for Per Ardua Ad Astra #2, a chapbook from the Canadian Ad Astra store.  It has essays from C.J. Cherryh on Social Sciences, Elisabeth Vonarburg on Gehenna, and Diana Gallagher Mu for Ad Astra Wind Walker.  It has been signed by all three contributors.

5/15/2020 5:27 pm  #3

Neat. I had not been aware of any works other than the novels and various group efforts like the thieves in hell and so on.

5/15/2020 6:19 pm  #4

After our discussion in the other thread, I managed to find a copy of The Company Wars which is now supposedly in transit to me. 

I wouldn't call myself an obsessive collector of CJ material but I do have a few of the rarer books.  IIRC, my copy of Glass and Amber was the last one available from Herself at the time.  Some years ago, I also fluked upon a hardcover copy of the Future Crime anthology, which has what is (I think) the original appearance of the story 'Mech''.  And somewhere in the paperback stacks is a copy of Alien Stars, the anthology containing the story 'The Scapegoat''.  I don't think there was ever a hardcover of that book - I should check.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/15/2020 6:48 pm  #5

Maybe Betsy Wolheim could be persuaded to publish a collection of the scattered stories. 

5/19/2020 1:05 pm  #6

Latest find. Published in June 1987, 206 copies. Non-fiction, but too tempting to pass up. 

5/19/2020 3:56 pm  #7

I have been picking up a few used books with short stories that are not otherwise collected --- those are mainly in "The Collected Short Fiction of CJ Cherryh", and must-buy book, as it includes the earlier "Visible Light" collection. 

I believe 'Pot of Dreams' is the only one that is on the list to be found. 

Does anyone remember the name of her most recent short story? It was published in a collection, I think, last year. I'm drawing a blank on it. 

5/19/2020 10:58 pm  #8

I can't help you with that one, mahe - it hasn't crossed my gunsights yet.

It's worth noting too that the Collected Short Fiction also includes the older collection Sunfall.

6/17/2020 3:18 am  #9

Was it  "A Wizard in Wiscezan", perhaps?

That one is in 'Swords and Dark Magic', edited by Jonathan Strahan and Lou Anders - only Librarything tells me that is a 2010 publication.

And of course I can't find my copy to check.  I had it in my hands a few weeks ago when I was re-shelving some books - it can't have gone far …

6/17/2020 9:05 am  #10

Surtac wrote:

Was it  "A Wizard in Wiscezan", perhaps?

That one is in 'Swords and Dark Magic', edited by Jonathan Strahan and Lou Anders - only Librarything tells me that is a 2010 publication.

And of course I can't find my copy to check.  I had it in my hands a few weeks ago when I was re-shelving some books - it can't have gone far …

Perhaps. Although it seems more recent than 2010. At any rate, one to add to my acquisition list.

I did recieve my copy of MZB Fantasy with the CJ&Jane story "Pot of Dreams". I has b&w illustrations, and a nice cover by brother David.

Last edited by Aja Jin (6/17/2020 9:06 am)

Board footera

Contact the Guild