Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/08/2022 10:23 pm  #201

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Surtac wrote:

I can recommend War of the Maps by Paul McAuley.  I had forgotten what a good writer he is - Austral, The Quiet War, Cowboy Angels, Something Coming Through are all books worth reading imho and this one is too.

It's far future, large scale SF confined to a single world, but it's not an ordinary world. It reminds me of Wells' War of the Worlds, Niven's Ringworld sequence and China Mieville's Perdido Street Station all at once and not in any negative fashion. Sympathetic characters in a compelling story well-told in a slowly unfolding illumination of the scale and nature of the setting made it a very enjoyable read.

Extra thumbs up for the use of the Gibsonian meaning of 'jackpot' and a genuine LOL for the unexpected Transmetropolitan reference.

Your qualification “and not in any negative fashion” noted and appreciated!

One world -- or none

10/20/2022 5:37 pm  #202

I recently read Novik’s completion of her Scholomance trilogy- The Golden Enclaves- quite good. All ends neatly woven in, even some I hadn’t realized were hanging.

Last edited by Kokipy (10/20/2022 6:03 pm)

10/20/2022 5:40 pm  #203

I also just finished Eversion. Interesting concept, intriguingly handled. I am wondering if he has done more on the topic of the Edifice or if this was a stand alone. If so, I am still thinking about whether Coade's dilemma, although resolved, wasn’t outweighed by all the weighty open issues. 

Last edited by Kokipy (10/20/2022 5:52 pm)

10/20/2022 9:51 pm  #204

I have found "Black Sun" and "Fevered Star" by Rebecca Roanhorse interesting with it's Native American aspect. Made a library raid today and found one other fantasy with an Asian pov that looks promising.

10/21/2022 4:48 pm  #205

I just saw an ad for The Peripheral - a film adaptation of Gibson’s book? Looks interesting, anyone know anything about it? i love those books.

10/21/2022 8:34 pm  #206

It's an Amazon Prime tv series - first two eps have already dropped over here as of yesterday.  I'm planning to watch it this weekend sometime.

Back on books, and at the urging of a friend I'm reading Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, a YA fantasy which I'm quite enjoying so far.  It reminds me a bit of both Patrick Rothfuss and Scott Lynch.in places.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

10/21/2022 10:08 pm  #207

I have seen some good references to peripheral- hope I can persuade someone at home to watch it with me

10/22/2022 10:19 pm  #208

Just watched the first two eps.

I think it's very good so far, but I'm pleased that I have read the book, which it seems to be following reasonably closely iirc..

Loved the thylacines - now waiting for the drop bears.

10/28/2022 10:56 am  #209

starexplorer wrote:

I just read Nnedi Okorafor’s Binti novellas. Nigerian-influenced SF. It was pretty good, but not must-read stuff, unfortunately.
Currently halfway through Jeff Vandermeer’s Annihilation. So far very promising and well crafted. Will report back 

Annihilation was excellent. The writing itself was haunting and beautiful, the world building convincing. 

One world -- or none

10/28/2022 3:25 pm  #210

Ok, adding Annihilation to The List, in preparation for adding it to the actual Pile after I clear a couple more books from the current backlog.

Board footera

Contact the Guild