Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2020 10:42 pm  #1

Welcome and Bios

This is a bio thread, where we can introduce ourselves to each other and tell about what we love, or don't, about whatever is interesting to us;

I'm HRHSpence, I have a micronation that accounts for my title. It has nothing to do with Cherryh, but it's fun.  It's a kingdom on the surface of Mars near Musk's Rocket Factory. I am a Grandfather and love to cook in my dutch ovens.  I have won several awards in competitions with the hope of my wife who is a better cook than I am. I am a professional linguist, teaching French and creating Constructed Languages.  I worked with CJ Cherryh in filling out her Hani and Ragi languages, as you can see V. I started Cherryh's books with the Morgaine Saga and have continued from there.  I have a Shelf of her books triple stacked in my library.  She is a master writer, isn't she?

You can write a bio after this if you want.  

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

5/14/2020 10:43 am  #2

Re: Welcome and Bios

Greetings everyone. I'm a new reader of Cherryh's works, starting late last year and growing more and more a fan with each page turned. I'm also fairly new to the science fiction genre after having avoided it for no particularly good reason.

My name is taken from another series that has grown dear to me, the Rocinante from The Expanse. The Expanse I love for its grit, the Cherryh books I've read so far (Chanur, Foreigner, Faded Sun) I love for the way she portrays her aliens and their worlds. Not so alien to be incomprehensible, but enough to be fascinating to read and learn. I often dread finishing a series in any media and experiencing the slight emptiness of knowing the story is over, so I'm glad to see I have a great many books ahead of me to postpone it!

5/14/2020 5:42 pm  #3

Welcome in, Roci.  I must admit I did pick the source of your name.

Great avatar image, btw.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/15/2020 9:17 am  #4

Bios, huh?

I recently retired from a lifetime of providing computer support for a particle-physics research lab at a major university. I still kibitz on their trouble-ticketing system. Work-from-home has greatly increased the amount of computer-related support required. Until a few months ago, I regularly went out to lunch with the people I had been working with. Now that lockdowns are starting to relax, maybe we'll start doing that again someday. Of course, since I'm in one of the high risk categories, my enthusiasm is somewhat tempered.

I've long been fascinated with astronomy and science fiction. I think my first CJC title was Downbelow Station although I have to admit that I'm not at all certain about that.

I've attempted to write some SF stories, but not very successfully, and have not at all tried to get the fragments published. Recently I've been messing around with trying to write some choice-based Interactive Fiction (using Twine, Tweego, and SugarCube), with much the same lack of success. I've spent quite a bit of time creating my own software framework to support that activity, though.

Selden

5/15/2020 5:00 pm  #5

I retired after 32 years from the Air Force Reserves as a full-time instructor pilot two years ago and now work as a simulator instructor at the base I retired from. I have loved CJ's work since the early 80s and she is partly responsible for my efforts at writing. I ended up getting an MFA five years ago and am a part-time novelist. I love to read SF, paranormal romance and historical fiction. I love to listen to music, 70s through present day in a multitude of varieties. I dabble in pastel chalk and pencil drawing.  

“The criminal is a creative artist; detectives are just critics.”
― Hannu Rajaniemi, The Quantum Thief
Joined Sep 2, 2009

Board footera

Contact the Guild