Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2022 3:26 am  #181

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Blessed are the cheesemongers!

I finished Reynolds' Eversion.  Thoroughly enjoyed it and happy to recommend it.  It sort of makes me want to re-read my old Jules Verne and HG Wells classic adventures too.

Went back to crime briefly to inhale the new MW Craven..

Now back to SF with Linda Nagata's Edge.  She is another underappreciated writer imnsho.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

6/09/2022 8:27 pm  #182

I have been having an epiphany about audible books. I listened to Verne’s Around the World in 80 days, and it was just terrific. The reader did all the voices, and even though I knew the story I was riveted. Now I am listening to The Luminaries, which I remember vaguely reading years ago- I think I liked it well enough but wasn’t wild about it,  but once again, the reader brings it alive. I have been listening to a lot of books in the pandemic years, while sewing or walking, but this latest experience has been just superb. 

6/09/2022 8:56 pm  #183

I went through an audiobook phase some years back when I had a long commute combined with the school run at the time.  The quality of the reader(s) makes a huge difference.

Some of the better examples I remember:
- Stephen Fry doing all the voices for the Harry Potter books;
- Tony Robinson and Nigel Planer doing multiple Pratchett Discworld novels each;
- Joanna Lumley doing the Ian Fleming Bond novel The Spy Who Loved Me (written with a female pov iirc), and
- the ensemble voice cast that did the Max Brooks World War Z book - it was an oral history with multiple narrators so multiple readers were needed.  One was a very world-weary sounding Mark Hamill.

I still maintain an Audible account though Youngest Daughter uses it a lot more than I do these days.  I might have to try it again.

6/10/2022 8:13 pm  #184

You are quite right, Surtac- it does completely depend on the reader. The Luminosities reader is absolute genius.m

6/14/2022 9:28 pm  #185

Made a raid on my local B&N. Wandered out with many things to read. They had the other 2 Leckie books this time, a new short story collection edited by J Butcher (I've liked the prior ones a lot), and some other titles. Haven't done that in over a year.

Last edited by Griffinmoon (6/15/2022 9:46 am)

6/14/2022 11:56 pm  #186

good finds, Griffi!

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

6/16/2022 11:18 pm  #187

I finished Edges by Linda Nagata.  Proper huge scale space opera  - no FTL, deep time-scales,  multiple Big Dumb Objects just off-stage, nano-machines, virtual reality, preservation and storage of identity and personality, alien Berserker warships, and other such tropes.  It's the start of a trilogy, a follow-up sequence written 20 years later from her earlier Deception Wells / Nanotech succession books in the same fictional universe  - books which clearly influenced writers such as Alastair Reynolds and Neal Asher amongst others.

I enjoyed and recommend it, and I'll be diving back into the trilogy soon.  But first, a crime palate cleanser to clear the mental synapses, I think.

6/17/2022 6:10 am  #188

Surtac wrote:

I finished Edges by Linda Nagata.  Proper huge scale space opera  - no FTL, deep time-scales,  multiple Big Dumb Objects just off-stage, nano-machines, virtual reality, preservation and storage of identity and personality, alien Berserker warships, and other such tropes.  It's the start of a trilogy, a follow-up sequence written 20 years later from her earlier Deception Wells / Nanotech succession books in the same fictional universe  - books which clearly influenced writers such as Alastair Reynolds and Neal Asher amongst others.

I enjoyed and recommend it, and I'll be diving back into the trilogy soon.  But first, a crime palate cleanser to clear the mental synapses, I think.

excellent books!  Vol 3, Needle, to be published 12 July

Last edited by Aja Jin (6/17/2022 6:11 am)

7/01/2022 1:39 am  #189

I've been binging British police procedurals for a couple weeks now while in post-Covid recovery mode.  Back onto SF now with the second in Linda Nagata's current trilogy, to be ready for when the third one drops week after next.

7/20/2022 9:46 am  #190

I have been, mostly, rereading. One of the series I reread was Murderbot, and in so doing I realized I have a lot in common with it, in regards  to the pleasures and benefits of revisiting much loved media To wit, it's repeated accessing of Episode whatever of Sanctuary Moon bears a strong resemblance to my own frequent revisiting of its diaries. 

Last edited by Kokipy (7/20/2022 9:49 am)

Board footera

Contact the Guild