Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/11/2020 12:54 am  #1

An epiphany of sorts

I know I've been reading and appreciating CJC since the first of the Faded Sun books was serialised in Galaxy magazine all those many years ago.  But sometimes reality sneaks up and wallops you from behind.

I've been restarting and continuing a research project into CJ's fictional universes as part of my current lockdown mental health therapies, coincident with rejoining my associates here in this shiny new Station.  I was particularly chuffed earlier this afternoon when I managed to recover and re-read an archive of research data I'd collected into an old software repository.

The moment of the epiphany was when I suddenly realised I'd last edited that particular document twenty years ago.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/11/2020 1:55 am  #2

Re: An epiphany of sorts

Surtac wrote:

I know I've been reading and appreciating CJC since the first of the Faded Sun books was serialised in Galaxy magazine all those many years ago.  But sometimes reality sneaks up and wallops you from behind.

I've been restarting and continuing a research project into CJ's fictional universes as part of my current lockdown mental health therapies, coincident with rejoining my associates here in this shiny new Station.  I was particularly chuffed earlier this afternoon when I managed to recover and re-read an archive of research data I'd collected into an old software repository.

The moment of the epiphany was when I suddenly realised I'd last edited that particular document twenty years ago.

That is indeed astonishing. And another thing I find rather remarkable is that we have been discussing details of that research together for 14 years now!

One world -- or none

5/11/2020 10:55 pm  #3

I would like to hear more of your (both) researches on CJ's universe. I think about it all the time.

Wild about cats, handmade lace, CJ Cherryh.   politics junkie

5/11/2020 11:21 pm  #4

Yeah me, too.  Can we have some of that posted here somewhere?

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

5/12/2020 1:22 am  #5

HRHSpence wrote:

Yeah me, too.  Can we have some of that posted here somewhere?

Yes, probably.  Some of it is material that did not originate with me but which I was able to collect from various contemporary sources.  In that sense, it would be appropriate to make part of it more generally available again.  

However, some of it needs to be re-contextualised.  Some of the speculation and conclusions contained therein are, with the benefit of hindsight from the context of information presented in books published since that time, simply wrong.

Anyway, let me have a think about how to present it in a proper context.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

Board footera

Contact the Guild