Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2022 1:36 pm  #171

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Pence wrote:

I have just finished inhaling 'Pali". So good. I did spend the entire book wanting to give Pali a good shake.Now to find out what happened in the spring on Alinor....

Have you read the Greenwing and Dart series?  Alas, she's only written them up to Winterturn so far.

5/28/2022 5:58 pm  #172

Yes. They are addictive. My problem with 'Hands' was losing an entire weekend sleep and a couple of meals.
When I treated myself to a physical copy and saw the size I understood why! Brilliant book.
Her writing is incredible. She deserves to be far more widely known.

5/30/2022 8:11 pm  #173

The Able Archers by Brian Morra. Fictionalized account by a CIA agent who was a principal in the Cold War events that followed the Soviet shooting down of Korean Airlines flight 007 in 1983. The event and its aftermath brought the world close to nuclear war, something far less well known than, for example, the Cuban Missile Crisis. The author chose to tell the story in fictionalized form to gain greater freedom to discuss issues some of which remain classified. It reads like a thriller. I cannot report that the book is a gem of literary brilliance, but if you are interested in the Cold War and nuclear brinksmanship, this may be worth the time.

One world -- or none

5/30/2022 11:14 pm  #174

I'll add that one to my search list, Star.  I do like that style of thing.

I've just come off a run of tartan noir, finishing all of JD Kirk's DCI Logan sequence so far, and then came back to SF with Chris Nuttall's Endeavour, the latest in his sequence of space operas that started with Ark Royal.  Entertaining as usual.

Next up is the new Al Reynolds, Eversion, which looks like it might be straying into Dan Simmons territory to start with.  We'll see.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/31/2022 7:26 am  #175

Finished Eversion last night. Really enjoyed it, it starts out like an early 20th century adventure story, then begins to slowly go off course.  About halfway through the big reveal starts. There were earlier hints, and things unfold slowly. The whole thing wraps up in an interesting way, satisfying despite at least two major loose ends.  Often, revealing less is better. 

5/31/2022 4:24 pm  #176

Just finished Gideon the Ninth and its sequel by Tamsun Muir. Iirc they were recommended by Ann Leckie. I didn’t love them. Hard to describe. 

6/04/2022 6:29 pm  #177

Just finished The Redoubtable Pali Avramapul and as I expected was very depressed it was over. I so love Goddard. Many millions of thanks to Pence for the introduction. 

6/04/2022 6:40 pm  #178

I read that Victoria Goddard has just given up her day job (as a cheesemonger!) in order to write full time, so perhaps we will be reading more from her soon.

6/04/2022 9:09 pm  #179

nighthawk wrote:

I read that Victoria Goddard has just given up her day job (as a cheesemonger!) in order to write full time, so perhaps we will be reading more from her soon.

great to hear!

One world -- or none

6/05/2022 8:13 pm  #180

Yea, that is wonderful. 
also wonderful is Guy Gavriel Kay’s new book, All the Seas of the World. I think the man is a genius. I have only just started but it is so good. 

Board footera

Contact the Guild