Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2020 12:29 pm  #11

Re: Reading habits in the time of ‘Rona

My main change is listening to audibles while sewing masks. I have never done that before, and it has been awesome! And of course it means that like others I am reading more than one book at a time, since I need to read at times other than when I am sewing. 

5/04/2020 4:23 pm  #12

I really don't like audibles.  I fall asleep and the book continues and I lose my place.  Plus, the narrator doesn't sound much like my inner reading voice.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

5/04/2020 5:21 pm  #13

I hear you on that, Spence-ji. I was surprised how much I am enjoying it. The first one I did was Hilary Mantel’s The Mirror and the Light, read by the actor from the Royal Shakespeare Company who was cast as Cromwell in the stage adaptation of the first two books, and he was amazingly good. He had voices for all of the characters and his Cromwell was exceedingly good. 

5/08/2020 3:50 am  #14

It’s not exactly reading but I’ve restarted an old Cherryh related research project that involves digging into the A/U books again.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/08/2020 1:00 pm  #15

I've been looking through the free "public domain" books available on Gutenberg.org. Most are from before 1920, but some later SF stories are available because their publishers didn't bother to renew their copyrights in the days when that was required. I just started reading "People Minus X" by Raymond Z. Gallun. Some of the social norms at the time it was written (late 1950s) can be a bit distracting.

Selden

Board footera

Contact the Guild