Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2022 10:05 pm  #21

Re: When We Cease to Understand the World

Yes, I don’t really mean it isn’t about physics, because of course it is.  One reason why it is such a great book is it has so many layers, and is effective through them all. And I see what you mean. Unlike Newtonian theory, etc,  the  explanation of QM does not help us understand what we observe in the world, instead  it makes us doubt that we can know anything at all for sure. What does it mean to know, in fact? 

the end of LOTR, which I got to for the first time at age 13, was the only book that ever made me cry. 

1/12/2022 10:37 pm  #22

Ever ever? It’s cryworthy for sure. I have a strong and distinct memory of crying at having the ugly duckling read to me at 3 or 4. Bawling while squeaking out “They were so mean to him”. 
Does that count? Too young?

One world -- or none

1/13/2022 7:50 am  #23

Of course it counts and your reaction was highly appropriate and revealing of your essential self.
and so far as I can recall, yes, that was the one and only time. 

1/16/2022 12:08 pm  #24

Some additional comments on the technique:

Even the acknowledgements seem a continuation of unreliability, unless he is unaware of it. He says in the Haber chapter that he only wrote one paragraph that was fiction. Which one? Maybe technically true, but he doesn’t acknowledge another form of his fictionalization. For example, the Irony of Haber’s not knowing his work would be used to kill his own relatives is highly interpretive by the author. It may not be invented entirely, but it’s certainly not nonfiction. It’s a discursive thought of the narrator, and not something that would make it into a history or a biography.

Schwartzchild is depicted as disturbed by the implications of his discoveries, and he reflects on the “spreading singularity as he surveys the hellscape of the eastern front”. But in reality, he is otherwise said to have decided the equations were what they were and was unconcerned….but letter to his wife expressed concern…it’s hard to know the reality, again in keeping with the quantum mechanical way of thinking as imposed (as these equations do not actually do!) on macroscopic human life. His method is to describe the thoughts of characters when he cannot possible know them.

I was struck by the Mochizuki chapter. Incidentally, I was happily shocked this character was included because I have followed the current controversy surrounding his uninterpretable theory for several years. He situates him in his office, and then describes in elaborate detail what one might see out the window of the office. Of course there’s no particular reason to know whether Mochizuki has ever looked out that window nor has ever observed the things through it that are described.
I could go on. Fascinating technique, I actually enjoyed seeing where the narrative deviated from reality or at least knowability!

One world -- or none

1/17/2022 1:28 pm  #25

You are Labatut’s ideal reader

1/17/2022 1:29 pm  #26

But I am evidence of the possibility or relishing the book from a starting state of near  ignorance of the people and theories. 

1/17/2022 2:17 pm  #27

One can regard a book from many points of view!

One world -- or none

Board footera

Contact the Guild