Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2020 3:50 am  #1

Reading habits in the time of ‘Rona

Anybody else noticing a change in their reading habits in the current time of strangeness?

’I’m finding I can’t maintain my usual past habit of serial monogamy ie just one book at a time in rapid succession.  At the moment, I have to have a half-dozen or more on the go: so I can jump around from one to another as my locked down mood changes in response to the world changing around me.

This is not normal for me.  What about the rest of you?

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/01/2020 7:29 am  #2

Re: Reading habits in the time of ‘Rona

I am in a brief non-reading period. I have found, now that we're retired and have more time, that I will read a lot for a time (usually 2-6 weeks), then take a break with no or almost no reading for a week or two, Now that it's may, there are several new books coming that I'm looking forward to (such as the Murderbot novel "Network Effect").

5/01/2020 11:00 am  #3

Before the lockdown, my wife and I had slightly different work schedules and I had the house to myself for part of the day. Now with us both at home, I find I have very little solitary time and therefore very little reading time.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

5/01/2020 9:58 pm  #4

I'm reading even more than usual, and am checking out ebooks from my library at a prodigious rate.
Subject matter such as animal cruelty and dark topics is especially intolerable right now and I have to put the book down, no matter how interested I am in the overarching topic. Concentration is problematic and find myself re-reading the same paragraph over and over because I can't keep track of who's who.  It feels like Dementia City here.  

5/02/2020 2:05 am  #5

My reading had already  diminished since I began video making. Now with my work stress through the roof, and the pandemic eating its way through the region, it’s harder than ever. Of course, the plan is not for this to be permanent. I am looking forward to Aja Jin’s solution: retirement. Though not yet.

One world -- or none

5/02/2020 4:36 pm  #6

I'm doing my Accounting 125 homework & reading after the late news, to wind down.

Yeah. I'm messing with the numbers for fictitious companies in screwball financial situations to unwind. That in and of itself I think says how much this wretched topic can wind me up.

Otherwise I'm not all that interested in plot-heavy stuff for reasons I haven't nailed down yet. Even cozy mysteries are a bit of a nah.

5/02/2020 4:53 pm  #7

I'm allowing a couple of hours a day for reading so as to spread my Amazon purchasing into a shallower peak so that my bank account won't be overwhelmed 

5/02/2020 7:37 pm  #8

I'm still working (from home) 5 days a week, so available.reading time is restricted to evenings and weekends

I do feel a similar pain though Mule.  Since the lockdown started here, SWMBO has really taken to her Kindle Paperwhite and is powering through ebooks in her favoured genres at a rate of knots compared to my current lumbering efforts.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

5/04/2020 3:19 am  #9

I'm reading a lot more - currently running at a book every day or two. I've been re-reading my pbooks because I don't have to cart them around. Currently re-reading all of foreigner as I've got the latest ones, interspersed with Harry Dresden for a change of pace. Also have Janny Wurts queued up, plus odd diversions now and then.... 

5/04/2020 7:50 am  #10

I have found myself rereading all my old favorites.  It’s like visiting old friends

"You must be mad," said the Cat, "or else you would not have come here."

Board footera

Contact the Guild