Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/04/2021 6:39 pm  #1

Upcoming sci fi / fantasy events

Nadiin-ji, perhaps it would be useful to have a separate forum for upcoming sci fi / fantasy events.  And/or other events of interest.  What do you think?

Talent hits a target no one else can hit.  Genius hits a target no one else can see.  
- Arthur Schopenhauer

11/04/2021 6:58 pm  #2

Re: Upcoming sci fi / fantasy events

Good idea.  What sort of thing did you have in mind? 

Upcoming known book releases perhaps?  Convention dates, award announcements or suchlike?  I agree it would be useful  to have a place to consolidate such things.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

11/04/2021 7:07 pm  #3

I know WindyCon is coming up next weekend  (Nov 12, 13, 14?) in Chicago.    https://scificons.com/events/info/17933/windycon-2021   My friend usually helps out there, as well as with Chicon, but he's got another committment and won't be at WindyCon.  I can ask Mike for a list of the events he knows about, and if you'd like, I could post them in this thread.

Last edited by joekc6nlx (11/04/2021 7:16 pm)

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

11/04/2021 7:12 pm  #4

Gadgetnut,  here's a start.https://scificons.com/events/schedule.php?year=2022
For Admins, would you like a separate category or thread for this subject?

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

11/04/2021 7:30 pm  #5

Perhaps a separate sub-forum might work best.  We could use it to anchor separate threads / discussions by type:  convention calendars, book release dates, movie / tv shows we're anticipating, and other relevant topics.

What does everyone think?  What would be useful to you?

11/04/2021 7:56 pm  #6

Sounds good to me.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

11/04/2021 9:29 pm  #7

What brought it to mind were two recent posts.
Kel J re: Orycon 42 in Whatever Else Floats Your Boat 
byrdstation1 re: audiobook release for Resurgence and Divergence in The Cherryh Grove

They really made me think.  Both of those are items that interest me and I thought probably others on the board. So a place to put them seemed like something to put to the membership.  Everyone's ideas and information above are great. Thank you all!  Surtac-nadi's description of an anchor forum for events, releases, movies, etc. is a much better and more expansive description of what I had in mind.  

Admins, what do you think?

Talent hits a target no one else can hit.  Genius hits a target no one else can see.  
- Arthur Schopenhauer

11/04/2021 10:45 pm  #8

gadgetnut wrote:

What brought it to mind were two recent posts.
Kel J re: Orycon 42 in Whatever Else Floats Your Boat 
byrdstation1 re: audiobook release for Resurgence and Divergence in The Cherryh Grove

They really made me think.  Both of those are items that interest me and I thought probably others on the board. So a place to put them seemed like something to put to the membership.  Everyone's ideas and information above are great. Thank you all!  Surtac-nadi's description of an anchor forum for events, releases, movies, etc. is a much better and more expansive description of what I had in mind.  

Admins, what do you think?

Well Gadgetnut, between Spence and myself, you already have two Admins onside with the idea.  Let's see - it's Friday afternoon here now in darkest Canberra.  I'll take it to the Guild now for clearance / signoff overnight and if all is okay I'll set it up tomorrow morning my time.   Thanks again for the idea.

11/05/2021 9:48 am  #9

Truth told, I glanced about the forum for a place to post it and found nothing specific, so it ended up here. I think you all have a good idea and if you wanted to move my post to such a forum (or merge it with a stuck thread somewhere devoted to events, as an act stopping short of creating a whole forum), that would make sense to me.

11/05/2021 5:38 pm  #10

Thanks Kel, I shall move the post to the new sub-forum as you suggest. 

Board footera

Contact the Guild