Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2020 7:23 pm  #11

Re: Bansu's Green Sauce Pizza

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 10 of 16Posted: 7:07 PM - May 22, 2010BlueCatShip
Bansu,May 20 2010 wrote:Great googly moogly! Six pages of posts!?! Well done my Esteemed Associates!
We *like* pizza. Cooking's *good*. Heheheh.

Let us know when the pizza's done and how it turned out.

(Bunch of greedy souls, we. s: )

Pizza, cooking ~ Better than gods-rotted politics or war-making any day. Food and trade and flow of goods / information / creative works, better way to live than that.
 Posted: 4:17 AM - May 25, 2010smartcatAtevi Pizza last night! Basil pesto with extra garlic and tomatillos on my own sourdough crust, anchovies, prosciutto, peppers, mushrooms, smoked provolone and mozzarella cooked on the grill with chunks of sassafras added to the charcoal. The tomatillos were a great addition, provided a special tang! Thank you all for suggesting them!    Posted: 9:07 AM - May 25, 2010BlueCatShipApparently, I'm going to have to ask at my local grocery store to find/get tomatillos. I could swear I knew what they looked like and that the stored carried them as fresh produce, but I haven't found them there the last two trips. I looked (very briefly) in the Latino foods aisle and didn't locate them there either, canned or bottled. (But I didn't look thoroughly; I bet they are there at least.) I'll locate a manager or stocker next time I go. I have a "hankerin'" to try some tomatillos now. (Sure I've had them, but don't recall.) (Looking the dang things up on wiki to be sure I'll recognize them raw, live, and in person... tomayto... tomahto... tomatillo...what-have-you.)

"Attack of the Killer Tomatillos?"  omatoosted: 9:52 AM - May 25, 2010hrhspenceTry the fresh produce coolers.Posted: 12:00 PM - May 25, 2010smartcatI bought them at my fruit and vegetable store, deli.....I have also seen them at some markets. I don't know if they grow locally, but if they are I would not expect to see them a farmers markets or local produce stands until mid summer. Hmmmm....think I need to research this. Posted: 1:59 PM - May 25, 2010shlinasI got my tomatillos in the section with all the peppers: jalapenos, serranos, habaneros, etcPosted: 3:12 PM - May 25, 2010BlueCatShipOnce I find some, both fresh and canned, and know for sure just how much I like them, I may decide to get really crazy and buy a couple at a garden center (or just save seeds). Confession: I haven't even tried growing regular tomatoes yet. I did look up tomatillos on wiki and found, nope, what I thought they looked like isn't what they are, and that they are not closely related to regular tomatoes. I will snag a produce manager, next trip to the store.

BTW -- I seem to be making way more mistakes in memory recall in my posts here at Shejidan. I'm not sure what the heck is going on there, aside from emotional stress and fatigue or more feeling down than I'm aware of. I can't really account for it otherwise, though some things (recall of :cherry: book details after not having read them in a few years) make some excusable sense. This just isn't much like me. I'm not usually that...flaky?...blond?...inaccurate? (I am actually blond, though. Heh.) Might be time for some vitamins and memory-boosting foods, and some necessary changes in routine, though how I'll manage the latter, dunno yet.Posted: 4:20 PM - May 27, 2010BlueCatShipYay! I found and bought about six small tomatillos and a couple of medium-sized ones. Didn't have to chase down a produce manager, either. They may be typical or even large, for tomatillos, but they're small, by tomato standards.

All but one had their husks on, and I didn't choose a couple whose husks seemed too loose or, in one case, a bit soft. -- I noticed one whose husk had three black places, but I'm not familiar enough to know if that's a natural variation or a bad tomatillo. (Advice on selecting well is appreciated.) I went on the premise that it's like choosing a regular tomato or a head of garlic.

It should be interesting to try them this weekend, in whatever way I wind up using them. After that, I'll get industrious and use them in a salsa or some-such. (I'll be looking through a couple of cookbooks.) (Recipes are welcome via forum post so all can enjoy, or by PM or email.)

I'm hoping I'll really enjoy these. Glad to know I can get them fresh at the local market. I would've been surprised if not, since our local Kroger's has a full selection for Latino / Southwestern cooking and a pretty good selection of Asian supplies.Posted: 8:39 PM - May 29, 2010rosebladeaureliuskcirMade green sauce pizza today...but had no tomatillos. The recipe didn't turn out too badly, especially given the experimental nature of the stuff and the fact I don't cook enough to experiment with extreme confidence.

the sauce:
1 green bell pepper
1 cubanella pepper
10 green, stuffed manz. olives
2 tsp. cilantro base (Goya)

Chop fine and put in blender. Press little "blend" button. Wait for bits to become liquidish.
*note: a bit too watery, but good taste to it...requires touch of a thickener...will figure out and post

the bread:
a prepared flatbread (Flat Out origina)
Yes, it's cheating. Given the experimental nature of the sauce and toppings, I figured that making a dough would be a bit much for the first round...especially since I haven't made anything but cornbread in, well, ever.

the toppnigs, starting with the first layer:
the green sauce
alfalfa sprouts (enough to have little sprouts everywhere, no large "nests")
stir fry beef (no game to be had, wary of poultry on pizza, same with fishies--cooked meat first!)
marinated artichoke hearts (covering most of the meat)
onion (not too much)
aged fontinelli cheese, grated and piled up high
Since I didn't have the game, and chopped onion may have been available (not explicitly stated one way or the other), the rest seemed unusual enough in combination to work with an odd combination sauce and, well, see note re: experiments.

bake 10 minutes at 350F.

Strong flavours. Definitely not the usual pizza...and the young niece (about 11) liked the "alien pizza"...will start her on Chanur shortly.

Cherryh proselytization...extending readership through weird food.

...Mitha-ji...could that become a t-shirt?

Posted: 1:28 AM - May 30, 2010BlueCatShipHah, if not, it should be a t-shirt.

If she's mature enough to read the Chanur books, great. Hmm, might require some discussion over a few points, comparing humans versus hani or other aliens, and some ideas of why the hani or the human might be shy of or prone to certain things. (No, sweetie, human men really don't tend toward *that*, but they may tend toward *this*, as a for-instance. Or, what do you think of this part of the book? Why does Py do...? Why does Tully...? Why does Hilfy...? Why does the kif...? Or just see what she comes up with in questions herself. Bright kid, expect bright questions, unless she's not likely to bring them up.) For a smart girl or boy, mature enough to get most of it, but not yet mature enough to get the more advanced material on politics or behavior, or gender roles, or emotional expression versus control or suppression, and what might be "good" or "bad" or simply "optional," they can likely get a lot out of the books. I am sure I would've gotten a lot out of them as a young pre-teen or teen, even though a lot would've gone over my head at the time, much as Heinlein did, who I did read during those years. Heck, the stories are good yarns and the characters are always well developed, full of life, never mind the deeper philosophical points embedded. Plenty for a kid to enjoy. 

Haven't cooked my tomatillos yet, due to feline being more lot crazy than usual. Probably Sunday (during daylight or after sundown, 'cause it's now the middle of the night) (not that that would deter me, occasional night owl and insomniac habits and all).

Those marinated artichoke hearts ppl keep mentioning, I haven't had any in a while. Must procure provisions, victuals, at next opportunity.All times are UTC-07:00
Page 10 of 16

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

4/26/2020 7:24 pm  #12

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 11 of 16Posted: 11:55 AM - May 30, 2010BlueCatShipThe Great Tomatillo Adventure
OR
What is this weird alien fruit/veggie thing
and how does it really taste?

(Well, except I know I've had tomatillos in Latino dishes and salsas before. I've just never cooked with them.)

I didn't look up recipes yet, still forthcoming. But the adventure awaits, says I, fresh from the return of the prodigal feline. A celebration must ensue. (Hey, the cats got tuna last night, it's all good.) (Dude, if this is your idea of a real shindig, blowout, celebration, we've really gotta talk.)

So, onward. All I'm aiming for is to know the taste of tomatillos on their own and without much additional to get in the way of their own taste. This will tell me how to combine them with other ingredients. Also, I'm unsure if they have any heat, since they are in the bins next to the peppers (from bell peppers to jalapeños to habaneros, !ay!) though they're related more to tomatoes, distantly, per wiki. (I needn't have bothered on that account.)

Get out the tomatillos, about five small ones, sized midway between a cherry tomato and a Roma tomato, and one large one, about the size of a small to medium tomato. Remove the husks, scrub gently but thoroughly to wash off the slightly oily, sticky coating between the loose husks and the fruit itself. You get what looks like a firm, green tomato. Nice little thing.

Stem them like you would a tomato, then do a medium to fine dice / chop. Huh, wouldja look at that? They're firm all the way through, like a squash or the firm parts of a bell pepper. No discernible heat, but I'm not gonna be fool enough to get my hands near my eyes.

Put them in a small saucepan / pot, with a tablespoon or so of olive oil (this is Latino food, after all) and a dash of season salt and no added sugar or water or anything else. Let simmer on low heat and stir to prevent sticking and cook evenly. When they get to a boil, stir more frequently.

I knew I was aiming for them to cook down like tomatoes, and expected a fair amount of liquid. If there wasn't enough liquid, I could add water. I wanted them to cook down into a nice mash with chunky bits, figuring this would happen naturally on its own, much like with tomatoes or when fixing a salsa. A few minutes cooking, maybe ten minutes, yielded pretty much what I wanted, a bit more liquid than ideal, maybe, but good. I was expecting to get a green-gold color, but they stayed a brighter green, just shy of Granny Smith apple green. Mmm, that looks good. Still no hint of heat (spicy heat). Set aside to cool. Put a spoonful on a tortilla to cool and sample. Consider having a cool drink or sour cream nearby to handle any heat, haha, because I'm not a chili head.

Cooking oil sprayed in a small frying pan, two flour tortillas (store bought, not homemade yet) warmed, toasted nicely. Easy, quick, standard fare for me.

Spread a tablespoon or two of the tomatillo salsa base on the tortillas.

Muy lindo, muy bello. (Considers for a moment and decides this is a general statement, so the adjectives do not need to agree with the two tortillas; that is, lindas y bellas. If so, then I need to review more than I think.)

Spread a small handful of grated cheddar or other cheese on that, and fold or roll the tortillas, to get a taco-type "sandwich" or enchilada-like "wrap."

Sample. Oh wow, this is nice. Very mild, slightly tart, just a bit sour. A bit like tomatoes, a bit like bell peppers. No heat / spice whatsoever. Duh. Okay, good.

I put up the tuna with lemon and lime and olive oil and a pinch of pepper, left from yesterday, as the tomatillo and cheese tortilla wraps were going to be plenty for lunch.

So, the weird alien fruit/veggie things turned out great, and I now have another ingredient for my cooking arsenal, a nice step towards doing some homemade Mexican food. (Besides chile con queso or frijoles refritos, say.)

Note to self: Gotta select or ask for help selecting a white wine for cooking, so I can try a paella boxed recipe. It has the dry ingredients and you add the wine and the cooked seafood yourself. (Probably some catfish or snapper, and maybe some shrimp, if the Gulf Coast oil spill hasn't made getting shrimp too pricey.)Posted: 1:21 PM - May 30, 2010smartcatBlueCatShip-ji.....glad you found and tried tomatillos...mine had almost a citrus taste.....have not tried cooking them as a sauce but I *like* your tortilla recipe....may try it next week....perhaps as a burrito.

Tomatillos are definitely worth experimentation!  U!Posted: 9:21 PM - Jun 05, 2010shlinasI've never really eaten them by themselves. I've sampled them, yes, but usually on my way onto something more. Like guacamole. I  my guacamole.

Reading that made me hungry though.Posted: 6:38 AM - Jun 06, 2010smartcatBlueCatShip-ji.... for cooking, and drinking, I like barefoot Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc. Not expensive and tastier than their price would indicate.Posted: 7:36 AM - Jun 06, 2010BlueCatShipThanks, smartcat. Hah, I am nearly a tea-totaller, so I have almost zero experience selecting wines, etc.  So that suggestion really helps.Posted: 2:53 PM - Jun 06, 2010smartcatSpeaking of TEA (my thank-heavens-its-legal vice) Have you tried cooking with tea? I am finding some interesting recipes out in the ether. I also make chai ice cream with my own chai. (I"m too cheap to buy it!) Posted: 8:44 PM - Jun 06, 2010shlinasHomemade ice cream is always the best kind. I nearly bought myself an ice cream maker this past week, but decided against it since we're going to be taking a vacation soon and I should save that $40.Posted: 8:07 AM - Jun 07, 2010smartcatshlina-ji......are there flea markets, garage sales, second hand stores in your area? I have three (don't ask) different ice cream makers in various sizes that I bought for very little (I think the most I paid was $5.00.) You would be amazed at the number of people who buy or are gifted with them and use them once or twice if at all. Mine are like a more sophisticated slushie maker. :wubosted: 9:45 AM - Jun 07, 2010BusiferDon't despair, making ice cream without an ice cream maker is not very hard, you just need a freezer... :DPosted: 5:34 AM - Jun 15, 2010smartcatI've been doing more thinking about the shape of atevi pizza. I don't think it matters. I use my own very soft sourdough recipe for crust and generally am more concerned with an evenly thick, or thin, crust than the shape. I do them on a pizza stone or my heavy metal pans so they usually are quite freeform which makes for some interesting cutting problems. We cut the last one in half with 4 slices on one side 5 on the other. I arrived at this conclusion after a long conversation with a chef who does pizza directly on the floor of a brick oven.

BTW, people in the northeast are so *passionate* about pizza that it has its own section in the yellow pages. I think the only thing that arouses more controversy is clam chowder.

Made an atevi style BBQ sauce for ribs done on the grill: 2 tomatoes; 2 tomatillos; 1 onion; 1 large clove garlic...... all chopped and cooked to a thick, chunky consistency added about 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar...... very tangy with sweet undertones. Cooked down a little more might be good on pizza.   :wub: All times are UTC-07:00
Page 11 of 16

Last edited by HRHSpence (4/26/2020 7:25 pm)

4/26/2020 7:27 pm  #13

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 12 of 16Posted: 9:42 AM - Jun 16, 2010MirandaJust have to brag! We're having a "snack day" (morale issue) at work today and I had to test the ice cream maker prior to our departmental picnic next month. I made my first ever batch of frozen strawberry yogurt! Really easy, but it took longer to freeze than I thought it would. Everyone likes it, too! I decided for my first "ice cream mad scientist" experiment, I would use a recipe that did not require cooking a custard. The old ice cream maker died the good death last year and I found this one at a yard sale for $5. Try Cheapcycle for your area. You can list wanted to buy. This is one of the only ones I've seen at yard sales.  Posted: 10:33 AM - Jun 16, 2010BlueCatShipAt the risk / opportunity / challenge / benefit of starting a new thread*, I'll second the request for tea- or chai-flavored ice cream. I'll also suggest mango smoothie ice cream. (Blue Bell made mango ice cream for awhile, which I liked, but they stopped, afaik.) * Yes, my internal thinking occasionally has contrasting possible words like that, which reminds me strongly of how :cherry: shows the mahen translator working on stsho in the Chanur books. I've never wanted an ice cream maker before, but you folks are making me start to want one! Hmm.... tea or chai or juices or purée of fruit to go in ice cream.... Mmmm.... (Especially peaches.) I have heard of weird, strange, exotic things like chili pepper ice cream, or garlic, or salmon mousse ice cream, but honestly, I think that's going a bit over the edge. Hahah. Then again, I wonder what else would go well? Hmm, I want to look up some recipes that use tea or chai. Interesting.  Posted: 4:50 AM - Jun 17, 2010smartcatChai Ice Cream (Do we need a separate ice cream thread?) I make my own chai with a strong black loose China tea. (Any tea can be used but it should have a good flavor.) 1. Brew the tea triple strength. (Don't let it brew til it stews.) 2. Pour the tea while it is still hot into a large jar or ewer and add 5 spice powder and cinnamon. (I generally add 2 heaping spoonfuls 5 spice and 1 spoonful cinnamon to 24 oz. tea.) 3. Add the sweetener to taste. (I use honey or agave, but any will do.) 4. Let stand until cool then refrigerate over night. The spices will have sunk to a slimy mass at the bottom of the jar. Pour off the chai and refrigerate. (You can pour more tea over the spice slime but use a regular strength tea as the spice will not be as strong.) THE ICE CREAM I have a seat of the pants attitude about recipes. If you want a sorbet use water, for ice milk use a @2% milk. I use a combination of heavy cream and milk, but I have used Greek yogurt and milk. You can be traditional and make a custard base. (Joy of Cooking or any good cook book) I don't bother. I use about 1/4 chai to 3/4 milk,cream....but it is a matter of taste. Taste the liquid, if it isn't sweet enough add superfine sugar or whatever you want, just be sure it is thoroughly dissolved. Freeze the ice cream following instructions. Eat! You can use purchased chai in a box, but I think it is vastly overpriced and way too sweet. You can buy 1/4 to 1/2 lb. loose tea for the price of a box of chai and it's a much better quality tea. Other teas might be interesting to try.....I think I'm going to try lychee nut tea.   Posted: 2:47 PM - Jun 17, 2010Aviendha Nadiin: I actually purchase green sauce pizza here in Richland. Basil pesto as the sauce, with garlic and chicken and artichokes. Atomic Ale pizza for the win!  Posted: 6:41 PM - Jun 17, 2010XheraltAviendha,Jun 17 2010 wrote: Nadiin: I actually purchase green sauce pizza here in Richland. Basil pesto as the sauce, with garlic and chicken and artichokes. Atomic Ale pizza for the win!Welcome, Aviendha-ji! True enough, as far as green sauce goes, but 1) it's more fun to make from scratch and 2) Bansu was also trying to approximate the taste as Bren described it in the book.  Posted: 2:46 AM - Jun 18, 2010NahtanhaMmmmm, good reminder for defrosting my sauce and starting prep for pizza Mk 2. That and I now want to try and make some icecream ala Heston Bloomenthal. Wonder if lavender would be wacky enough for him?  Posted: 6:15 AM - Jun 18, 2010smartcatI think lavender would be an *amazing* flavor!   Posted: 3:30 PM - Jun 19, 2010XheraltAnd now, having tasted Bansu's green-sauce pizza in real life, I will say that I think he got the right touch of alienness to it, but close enough that were someone (not quite paying attention to the food) to ask "what is this?" and being told "pizza!" would absolutely go, "oh right, I get it now!" -- and had I not already eaten my fill of conventional deluxe pizza, would certainly have eaten more.  Posted: 4:36 PM - Jun 19, 201082EridaniTada! Here is the now famous Bansu (Iron Chef Atevi) official green sauce pizza!  Posted: 5:23 PM - Jun 19, 2010BansuThank you nadiin, one is pleased that it was palatable. My profound apologies for not checking allergies first, an unfortunate oversight on my part! At least no one was killed...  Too much fun!  Bansu   All times are UTC-07:00Page 12 of 16

4/26/2020 7:29 pm  #14

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 13 of 16Posted: 4:09 AM - Jun 20, 2010smartcatNand' Bansu, your pizza looks wonderful and tasty. Are you going to share the recipe? (Fully understand if you wish it to be private.) Perhaps a little *too* atevi? Ah well, one man's meat.....

2 Bansu!!!Posted: 5:59 PM - Jun 20, 2010BlueCatShipThat pizza looks fantastic. -- More black olives, please.

The juxtaposition of "at least it didn't kill anyone" and "too much fun!" -- Hahaha, ordinarily, I wouldn't get such a laugh out of that, but somehow, it struck my funny bone. OK, so I have an odd sense of humor today.

...Atevi BBQ sauce? Ahhhh, Mmmm...Posted: 5:51 PM - Jun 23, 2010hrhspenceWe were going to make the green sauce pizza when Shli was down, but her little Erin got sick and we bought pizza instead. Then we were going to make one yesterday, which just happened to be the day that Ready and ReadyGuy came down. That would have been fantastic, except the dough for the flat bread crust took longer than we had. So the Mrs made it today.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mattjhamblin/100_3320.jpg" style="max-width:100%;">
Here's the green sauce. It's actually home made green salsa minus the jalapeno pepper seeds. The peppers themselves aren't all that hot; it's the seeds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mattjhamblin/100_3325.jpg" style="max-width:100%;">
We had sausage, pepperoni, green peppers, canned tomatoes, shiitaki mushrooms, and black olives. Plus Romano cheese. It went surprisingly well together. The peppers and cilantro calmed the strong flavor of the Romano and the Romano did the same with the cilantro.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mattjhamblin/100_3326.jpg" style="max-width:100%;">
I had 3 slices and was pleasantly full.Posted: 8:07 AM - Jun 24, 2010shlinasI love seeing everyone's rendition of this idea.Posted: 7:54 AM - Jul 04, 2011BlueCatShipI'm making pizza, including a first try at a Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza, this afternoon.

See my post at my new forum:

Homemade Shejidan Pizza on ShinyFiction.comPosted: 9:43 AM - Jul 04, 2011hrhspenceCan't wait for the Pix, BSC.Posted: 5:27 AM - Jul 05, 2011smartcatSounds good, BCS-ji. Looking forward to pix.

(Speaking of pizza, has anyone heard anything of our Master Pizza Chef, Bansu? He hasn't posted since early May.)Posted: 2:00 PM - Jul 05, 2011BlueCatShipPizza Dough - Courtesy C.J. Cherryh

2 c. flour, whole wheat;
2 tbs. olive oil;
pinch salt;
tbs honey;
2 tsp of yeast;
enough water to make it mix in an elastic, non-sticky way;
Stir, hand-shape to a ball, adding flour at need.

***** I'm posting the above for reference for all concerned.Posted: 3:28 PM - Jul 06, 2011Xheralt
smartcat,Jul 5 2011 wrote:Sounds good, BCS-ji. Looking forward to pix.

(Speaking of pizza, has anyone heard anything of our Master Pizza Chef, Bansu? He hasn't posted since early May.)
I've tried PM'ing him, he hasn't responded. One is increasingly concerned. Posted: 7:07 PM - Jul 10, 2011BlueCatShipI am not sure, but I *think* he had said he might be off for a while, the last we'd heard on the forum. -- But I don't know anything, really.All times are UTC-07:00
Page 13 of 16

4/26/2020 7:31 pm  #15

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 14 of 16Posted: 7:30 PM - Jul 10, 2011BlueCatShipI haven't quite gotten around to getting the pizza photos posted, but that'll likely happen tomorrow, if all goes well. (I'd better not say, "according to plan." We all know how that goes!)

The pizza was great!Posted: 8:17 PM - Jul 10, 2011Neco the NightwraithI had a brainwave just now: I think a rocket pesto would make a pretty good sauce. It has that sour bitter type taste, and can have something added to it to make it a little spicy.Posted: 10:16 PM - Jul 10, 2011BlueCatShip"Rocket pesto?" What's a "rocket" pesto? -- Hey, I haven't looked yet to find out how to make pesto sauce from scratch; probably very easy. So I'm not being a purist, just not edju-ma-cated on pesto. ;) Hope that's not being a pest. ...Hmm, making pesto may involve a mortar and pestle for the spices, come to think of it.

Yes, I need to logoff and hit the hay, how did you guess? ;)

(When I start free-associating a little *too* freely, you can usually tell, haha.)Posted: 6:19 AM - Jul 11, 2011smartcatBCS-ji, Pesto is basically an uncooked vegetable sauce. I use it in cooking, on sandwiches, salads etc.

If you don't have a blender or food processor get an inexpensive blender (cheap food processors are the pits). If you make pesto in a mortar and pestle you will only do it once.

click here

I want to try using pistachio nuts. Also I chop up olive oil and basil in the blender and freeze it in half cup portions. Very nice in the middle of winter!

All for the YUM! of   

Don't you mean pesto rocket?Posted: 12:28 PM - Jul 11, 2011BlueCatShipOoh! That does sound pretty simple. Bookmarked the link. I bought a ready-made batch of basil pesto at the store. Will see about making some from scratch. The blend with arrugula sounds good, as does the pistachio. Something very slightly peppery / spicy for a salad or as a spread, nice idea. Wonder how that'd go with tuna or salmon, salad or grilled? Now i'm curious. And that's something My grandmother can do on her diet, if the nuts are finely ground.

I'm assuming the pine nuts are first toasted. I wouldn't think one would, for the pistachios.

Around here, near Christmas, I could imagine fresh pecans, raw or toasted.

Hmm... When did Ilast use a food processor, though? Or a blender? But I have a hand blender, works in a pinch.

That basil pesto was quite nice for the Shejidan pizza. I'll have to play with making it more atevi, and follow suggestions others have tried, plus try a few others.
 Posted: 8:00 AM - Jul 12, 2011smartcatBCS-ji, you can get pretty OCD about making pesto. (I try extremely hard not to.) You don't have to roast nuts or garlic, if you do it will give you a deeper flavor. Not noticeable on pizza where you are using a variety of ingredients. I've had two mothers-in-law with digestive problems. We found that roasting and finely grinding the nuts in a cheap coffee grinder solved the problem. You won't be able to grind nuts finely enough in the blender if you are faced with the problems we had. 

Love the idea of pecans (my favorites). It's easy to roast your own nuts. (leave it alone!) I use a cast iron pan on the burner and stir until they look right.   Posted: 1:32 PM - Jul 13, 2011BlueCatShipI have a cheap coffee grinder I haven't used much. That's a good idea; I'll try it out.

-----

Photos of the pizza-making endeavor are up at:

Ben's KitchenPosted: 12:24 PM - Jul 14, 2011smartcatThat looks like some yummy  , BCS-ji!

We're going to make  tonight, just not sure what kinds. Posted: 5:41 PM - Jun 30, 2014Neco the NightwraithRocket pesto (gods, my response is stupidly late on this!)

Rocket is arugula, a type of "wild" salad green that has a pungent, sometimes almost acrid taste. But now that I've grown into my garden, and had experience with new flavors, here's another one for you:

Nasturtium.

Yup. Young nasturtium leaves have a similar pungent taste, and make pesto as easily as rocket or basil does.

I think I'm making pizza tonight. I better check to see what I have. I might make one normal pizza, and then have an atevi pizza as well.Posted: 6:34 PM - Jun 30, 2014Neco the NightwraithAnother thing that struck me as a possibility, now that I've got a few more years of culinary experience under my belt:

Flours

What about the use of different flours? Instead of the usual wheat flour, what about rye, or buckwheat, or other types of flour the average "Western" consumer probably doesn't use/know exists? They would give different textures and flavors to the end result. I remember reading somewhere about Bren avoiding the "black bread", which to me sounds kinda like pumpernickel, but of course, not. And one of the dinners (in Conspirator, I think) mentioned at least three types of bread.

What about sourdough? Atevi use yeast, clearly, as mentioned by Cajeiri in one of the books. What would be more kabiu than using the natural yeasts of the air?

Flowers

Like, actual edible flowers. Though probably more in salads than pizza (I was thinking that my nasturtiums have fantastic orange flowers on them at the moment).

My experimental "green vegetable" sauce:

Young leaves of silverbeet, spinach and nasturtium, blanched
Garlic
Pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or possibly Avocado oil)

Topping ideas:

Cooked wallaby strips, seasoned (local game, for the win!)
Leeks/onions sauteed in butter
Mushrooms
Capsicums (green/red)
Fennel, thinly sliced and sauteed till tender
Aged cheddar/feta cheeses
Oca (New Zealand Yam) sliced and steamed until tender

Wish me luck. :DAll times are UTC-07:00
Page 14 of 16

4/26/2020 7:32 pm  #16

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 15 of 16Posted: 2:08 PM - Jul 01, 2014Neco the Nightwraithhttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/Neco_the_Nightwraith/Shejidan%20Cookbook/DCam020714003_zps316dcbae.jpg">

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/Neco_the_Nightwraith/Shejidan%20Cookbook/DCam020714009_zps540c1b8b.jpg">

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/Neco_the_Nightwraith/Shejidan%20Cookbook/DCam020714011_zps23209239.jpg">

Here are the pizzas I made last night! Both are on a foccacia base, baked thin. I made one normal "veggie" pizza, with cheese, onions, red peppers, and mushrooms, on a tomato sauce. The other is my nerdy pie, the atevi green sauce pizza:

Green "Vegetable" Sauce:
A large handful of fresh baby greens (silverbeet, spinach, lettuce, nasturtium leaves)
A couple sprigs worth of thyme leaves
Three cloves garlic
About 1/4 cup of pepitas (pumpkin kernels)
2 tsp capers and some of their vinegar pickle juice
Extra Virgin Olive oil (enough to get things moving)

Puree until it's as smooth as you can get it. Spread over precooked base.

I topped the lot with sauteed leeks, onion and fennel (all chopped thinly), chunks of wallaby that were browned ahead of time, and topped the lot with feta and aged cheddar cheese. Amazing! Although The Man complained that there were too many toppings on the green pizza, and not enough cheese to stick them on.Posted: 9:04 PM - Jul 01, 2014HakkiktWas a success, tho' both had a little too much topping, so it was endlessly falling off. Rocket-green sauce is quite acrid, but a striking flavour.

Kkkttktk Hkkt 1404 [0404GMT, 2104PST] Wed. 2 Jul. 2014.Posted: 3:57 AM - Jul 02, 2014MithaLooks yummy! And it is perfectly acceptable, around here, at least, to eat one's fallen-off toppings with a fork. It is *not* OK to eat one's dinner partner's fallen-off toppings with a fork, unless one has previously obtained his/her permission. 

Posted: 1:07 PM - Jul 02, 2014Neco the NightwraithI didn't really have a problem with them falling off. I dunno what the issue is. 

Acrid and striking is good I guess. I am trying to make alien pizza. Posted: 1:30 PM - Jul 02, 2014joekc6nlxyou forgot the wallaby! You can't make a green sauce pizza without wallaby. No, you can't substitute wombat for it, either.

Mitha, my dentist has strictly forbidden me to eat anything with a fork. I can eat all the food I want, but I'm not allowed to eat the fork, whether it's by itself or accompanying food. Funny, she didn't say anything about chopsticks......Posted: 2:27 PM - Jul 02, 2014Neco the NightwraithThere was wallaby on it too.  The most tender wallaby I've made yet!Posted: 5:10 PM - Sep 02, 2014TravelerOfTheWaysThis thread and especially those lovely photos have convinced me... tonight or tomorrow, green sauce pizza is going to occur! I think we'll go the tomatillo route, since I finally gave in to the displays at the farmers market. But one will have to contemplate pesto as well -- one is hardly an expert pesto maker, but there is a recipe for green pea pesto one has become most fond of.

ETA: the green sauce pizza was a total success! Roasted onions and tomatillos blended with garlic scapes, topped with sweet peppers and mozzarella. Not as tangy as the original green sauce pizza, doubtless, especially since roasting sweetened the vegetables, but very tasty.
 Posted: 4:53 PM - Jan 15, 2015Neco the NightwraithHow did your pizza turn out Traveler?Posted: 11:17 AM - Feb 12, 2015BlueCatShipI was considering making a Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza, but I was quite irked: My grocery store's recent reorganization has...quite hidden the prepared pesto sauce. I did not locate it and was kinda bummed out. (Only a bit.)

Next trip to the store, I shall be sure to discover where they have hidden the pesto! 'Cause now I'm in the mood for some! (Alas, I have olive oil, but only dried basil and I lack, most likely, other needed ingredients to make it from scratch.)

I bought a (sigh) frozen pizza. Oh, the ignominy!

* I'd s'pose ignominy doesn't taste nearly as good as hominy. Or grits. Certainly not as good as pizza. Or pesto.

I wuz robbed. Robbed of the pesto! They hid it! No, they stole it!

(It might be near the fresh produce now. Or the much bigger deli section. ... I also have not located the prepared garlic spread in the new deli section. ... Note, not the New Delhi section....)Posted: 12:01 PM - Feb 12, 2015AshmireNot that it would ever take the place of homemade, but I note that there is a place near my house where one can buy a premade green pesto sauce pizza. I'm tempted to pick one up and pretend this weekend since I'll likely be too tired for cooking experiments.All times are UTC-07:00
Page 15 of 16

4/26/2020 7:33 pm  #17

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 16 of 16Posted: 3:15 PM - Feb 12, 2015Neco the Nightwraith...I'd have just asked one of the store employees to find the pesto.

I do make my own pesto, but my luck with growing basil this year is not good.

Big handful of fresh basil leaves
As much garlic as you'd like
Grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper
Olive oil

Grind the lot up until it's smoothish. Refrigerate. Use. Posted: 12:39 AM - Feb 13, 2015BlueCatShipThat sounds like it would taste good! Let us know how it was, when you try it. What toppings, etc.

Fans here have tried various things to arrive at their own versions, so any thoughts / ideas would likely make it into other people's cooking experiments. When I try next, I'll try for a Green Sauce Pizza as well as a more common pizza, probably.

Welcome in again!

-----

Neco-ji, one of the changes has been that their store employees are less visible about, but yes, I may need to snag an employee next time and ask where this and that and that other thing are these days. I have located many things by now, but still, some elude me, or they'll move from one visit to the next in restocking. -- Heh, I'd need fresh basil leaves too! I have the other ingredients on hand, and could get fresh Parmesan or fresh-grated. I think there's some discussion of pestos earlier in the thread, from around the last time, so I'll read up-thread too, over the weekend.

I will look for supplies, late next week.

I may also do some homemade spring rolls, but may need new spring roll wraps. I bought some coleslaw veggies, chopped, but didn't see their broccoli slaw version, which I'd like to use. Not sure if they're not carrying it now.

Hah, my previous attempts at homemade pizza have been overly laden with toppings, overly enthusiastic. I may have to try for a deep-dish pizza to accommodate that, or get myself to really go easy on the toppings...or else freeze extra or use for another dish. Hmm....Posted: 2:28 AM - Feb 13, 2015Neco the NightwraithWell, the original atevi pizza was described as having so many toppings that a single slice was gluttony so... keep adding toppings!

I laughed, because it was then said that there had been plenty of gluttony among the staff at that point.Posted: 10:12 AM - Feb 24, 2015BlueCatShipWell! I didn't locate fresh basil on this go-round, but I did find where they'd moved the prepared pesto. Yippee!

I think I have sufficient ingredients to fix a Green Sauce Pizza soon; will have to double-check a couple of things. (Uh-oh, I bet I don't have frozen spinach on hand, and I'm sure I didn't get fresh spinach. Not sure if I have artichoke hearts.) So, hmm, there may be a little delay on the pizza-making endeavor.

However, I have (once again) the ingredients to try poutine for the first time, and a custom "throw it together, it sounds good, and see if it is!" chicken recipe.

There will be progress reports here and in the Cookbook thread as I get to them, later this week.Posted: 10:33 AM - Mar 04, 2015BlueCatShipI thought I had everything bought to make a Sheridan Green Sauce Pizzal Got home and remembered I forgot (again!) to get spinach, fresh or frozen. Dadgum it. Not going out again.

So I may try whatever I have on hand, or I'll wait and get spinach, and likely bell peppers, next week. Darn it.

Not sure what else I have on hand that would do it.

Meanwhile, I also got ingredients to fix veggie spring rolls. (Though I could put in some chicken.)

~Something~ will happen in the next day or two.

Hah, also picked up some artichoke hearts, which I think were in oil, rather than water or vinegar.All times are UTC-07:00
Page 16 of 16

Board footera

Contact the Guild