Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2020 6:45 pm  #1

Bansu's Green Sauce Pizza

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce PizzaPosted: 10:56 PM - Jan 07, 2007BansuEsteemed Nadiin, I humbly present the topic I had the most fun with on the old board for archiving, I hope I am doing so correctly and in the right place. -Bansu******** AsichoSenior Bujavid SecurityPosts: 606(7/30/06 1:13 am)Shejidan (green-sauce) pizza There has been some discussion here and elsewhere about what the closest equivalent in our universe to the "green sauce" used on pizza in Invader would be. So I thought I would start a thread to discuss ideas, recipes, and reactions to various versions of Shejidan pizza. Invader describes the pizza (p. 237-239, DAW paperback):wrote:    The servants brought the tray in and set out a very large flat bread, with an amazing array of foods atop, all appropriate, all seasonal. But on a green vegetable sauce.    [...]     "We hadn't the red sauce," cook said. "We're told it will come, but the plane was delayed by weather."    [...]     They had tomatos and potatoes, peppers, onions and herbs on Mospheira they didn't allow to cross the strait uncooked, for fear of seeds and starts and the mainland ecology, although atevi who'd tried tomatos found something in tomatos and potatoes and peppers they relished, and there was a seasonal trade; but the ubiquitous green sauce, peppery and sour, went well with the bread and atevi foods piled atop so thickly a single slice was gluttony--and there was plenty of that among the staff."What does the dish celebrate?" a servant wanted to know, and the paidhi rapidly searched his mental files and said, shamelessly, "Success in hard work." This is the pizza Nepenti, my sister Rose, and I made for 'Penti's family: The sauce was chili verde, and the toppings included ham, turkey, several kinds of cheese, peppers (green, red, and orange), fresh mushrooms, and black olives. We sort of put whatever we had in the fridge on it, so I'm sure many other kabiu toppings could be divised. It was very good, though the chile verde made it quite spicy. (Probably not very spicy for atevi, though.) So, what other ideas do we have for "green sauce", and what would *you* put on it for toppings? (Pictures welcome, too, of course!) "For me the purest and truest art in the world is science fiction."--CJ Cherryh, Visible Light------------------------------------------------------------- barleysmamaBujavid SecurityPosts: 487(7/30/06 2:50 am) What's the name of that green sauce used on mexican style foods if you don't get the red sauce? Maybe they pureed up lots of veggies to make a sauce! Things like spinich, lettuce, onions ect if pureed make a sauce (yuck!). :x- Me- I loooovvveee cheeses- all kinds of cheese but LOTS of cheese!! And pepperoni- which probably isn't kabiu- oops.------------------------------------------------------------------- Roseblade Aurelius KCirMachimi WriterPosts: 150(7/30/06 9:49 am) I've always thought of the green sauce as something like the traditional pesto sauce, but with atevi herbs instead of human herbs and a bit thicker (I think parsley and basil figure largely in pesto, but I can't recall at the moment). It would make sense that the pesto would have a different taste for atevi. There's a summer pizza a friend of my mom's made that I think the atevi would find very kabiu--it used summer veggies, and instead of the tomato sauce, it was a cool, creamy sauce that had ranch dressing and a few other things in it. It was served cold, not hot. Roseblade A. Beware the RoseScent will draw you, Beauty entrace you, and you will smileEven as the thorns embrace you.------------------------------------------------------------ Theta9Veteran Bujavid SecurityPosts: 1784(7/30/06 11:48 am)wrote:    I've always thought of the green sauce as something like the traditional pesto sauce, but with atevi herbs instead of human herbs and a bit thicker (I think parsley and basil figure largely in pesto, but I can't recall at the moment). It would make sense that the pesto would have a different taste for atevi.If the green sauce is "peppery" then one might make a pesto sauce using arugala (which is said to have a peppery taste) instead of (or in addition to) basil. stePH Nanami Kiryuu says:"I've got a fever, and the prescription is more cowbell!"----------------------------------------------------------- XheraltLongscan OperatorPosts: 537(7/30/06 12:48 pm) barleysmama, what you thinking of is what she used....salsa verde...which means, literally, "green sauce". Asicho, if you made your own green sauce, starting from fresh tomatillos, you could regulate the spice content more. Aren't there some tomatoes that don't turn red? Or are the epynomous "Fried Green Tomateos" actually unripe? Never watched that movie... But I also think Theta's hit on a good idea. Even if pesto-sauce pizza suggests decadant West Coast health-nut style to a Midwestern boy like me. The kind of pizza with artichoke hearts, broccoli, fancy-schmancy imported Italian cheeses, and no meat! Which is not a bad thing, per se, just very different from (this) common man's experiences. I've actually had that sort , in a "california-style" pizza parlor in Colorado Springs. *Maximum* of three toppings allowed. The perfect pizza has five, two meats, three veggies, even if not the classic (pepperoni, sausage, onion, green pepper, black olive). When I can, I go with chicken, gyro meat, spinach, onion, and kalamata olive.  I'm incorrigable. Don't incorrige me. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Felicitous Sk8erIce Queen AssassinPosts: 1535(7/30/06 1:49 pm) Pizza: my fave food. THE perfect food! Pizza reviews:I never, ever get tired of pepperoni, sausage, mushroom. BRING IT ON! Canadian Bacon, or bacon -- yes! The pesto-sauce pizza (with chunks of smoked chicken) is OK...not great. Once was basically enough, for me. Extremely good: Thai, with peanut sauce, sprouts, and who-knows-what else. "I don't use the English language. I wield it" -- CJC--------------------------------------------------------------- Felicitous Sk8erIce Queen AssassinPosts: 1536(7/30/06 2:03 pm) I just recalled that while climbing Mt. Rainier (14,411 ft / 4382 m) ~10 years ago, Someone packed up a freeze-dried pizza mix. For a birthday surprise he made me a pizza at 10,000 feet / 3048 m! It didn't taste too bad either, considering what freeze-dried food can taste like.  Our pizza was the envy of high camp. Edited to place link to Mt. Rainier, my fave mountain:Mt. Rainier "I don't use the English language. I wield it" -- CJC-------------------------------------------------------------------- Theta9Veteran Bujavid SecurityPosts: 1786(7/30/06 2:05 pm)wrote:gyro meat,It's a rotisserie meatloaf. Made with lamb. Rotisserie lamb-loaf. stePH Nanami Kiryuu says:"I've got a fever, and the prescription is more cowbell!"--------------------------------------------------------------- Neco the NightwraithArch DruidessPosts: 3917(8/2/06 12:48 am) Actually...gyro meat has been known to be goat as well. Which iI enjoy telling my friends at the fair as they dig in. But I also thought about tomatillos when I thought green sauce.------------------------------------------------------------- BansuAtevi CitizenPosts: 16(8/5/06 12:01 pm) ...Oh Goodie! I must first say how delighted I am to find OTHER people thinking about this. (He smiled contentedly at the rain falling over nighttime Shejidan as the shuttle brought him home...) I have on several occassions considered trying to make the Atevi green sauce pizza at home but have not had the courage- now I promise that I will, and then post the results! All other musings aside I will only have access to foods available on the earth of the humans. So, it seems to me the way to go about this is to use ingredients and combinations of ingredients that are not commonly associated with a classic pizza (see Note below) but in some way existing in a parrallel to those ingredients- hopefully this will result in a pizza that has an elusive extraterrestrial quality but still retains a basic 'pizza-ness' despite its unusual composition. The crust: The book describes this as a "very large flat bread"... I am going to use Indian nan bread for this- it's flat but it has a nice chewy texture that should lend itself well to a pizza. The cheese: I am pretty sure the Atevi don't have cheese based on their non-pastoral culture, and I think I remember Bren mentioning this at some point in the books. I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest using a mixture of Japanese 'ikura', salmon eggs and egg yolks- quail or duck instead of chicken. Atevi relish eggs and I'll bet they are kabiu most of the year. I think this will capture some of the qualities of cheese without actually being cheese... The sauce: Ah, the very heart of the matter. I have spent long hours contemplating how to go about replicating this... As much as I love tomatillos and mexican verde sauces I feel they are still too closely related to the tomatoes that are unavailable on the continent.... The goal for me is to be tomatoey and green without using a tomato! Here is what I am going to try- First I'm going to puree pitted green olives (no pimentos!). Then I will blend in avocado and a tablespoon of limejuice. My hope is that the sourness of the olives and lime will work together with the creamy and slightly meaty taste of the the avocado to produce something that is reminiscent of a tomato but isn't one... and that is green, which is not easy.... The spices: The ingredients of my little jar of 'Italian Herb Mix' include oregano, basil, thyme and marjoram- your mileage may vary depending on what brand you bought. I also associate fennel seed with pizza because of its strong presence in real Italian sausage. I am instead going to substitute rosemary, mint leaf and sage as the green herbs. I'll then add some caraway seed to stand in for the fennel, it has a nice smoky taste that I think will work. The toppings: It is tempting to simply go nuts here but I am going to try to stick to the logic I have established. Having lived in Japan I have been subjected to a "pizza" that featured corn, the pink ginger you get with sushi, seaweed, and 'katsuo' a kind of dried shaved mackeral... it was edible, but it was NOT pizza!!!! Therefore I'll try to think of things that somehow provide a parrallel taste to traditional pizza ingredients... Any kind of processed meat is not going to be kabiu, so if I use meat or fish it needs to be fresh, and preferrably game... hard to get in many places I know, and pretty much impossible here; so,I'm going to go with thinly sliced beef tongue and salmon for my 2 meats. As for the vegetables- zucchinni, garbanzo beans and bamboo shoots. Zucchini stands in for sliced tomato, garbanzos for black olives and bamboo shoots for mushrooms... (starts to doubt his sanity but bravely presses on) Well, there it is- give me a couple of weeks to pull this off and I will report back with the results- if you try this at home in the meantime you do so entirely at your own risk!Gastronomically (and astronomically) yours, Bansu PS: All this needs now are extra anchovies!!! College students, heed my advice- learn to love the anchovy and moochers will never bum pizza from you again! PPS: Best serverd with alcoholic beverages! Note: My definition of a classic pizza is a nice golden crust (a little crispy/a little chewy), mozerella cheese with a dash of parmesan, a rich tomato sauce spiced with oregano, black olives, mushrooms, pepperoni, real italian sausage spiced with fennel (not the mothballs modern chains use), and onions- 2 meats and 3 vegetables!------------------------------------------------------------------------ hrhspenceChair of Hani StudiesPosts: 2546(8/5/06 12:50 pm) Wow, Bansu, you have certainly gone native on this one! I am very curious to hear how it tastes. chanurhani language page----------------------------------------------------------------- Neco the NightwraithArch DruidessPosts: 3951(8/5/06 2:41 pm) You and me, Bansu, we should start a parlor called "ET Pizza"! :lol: I always thought they did have cheese, though, because they have cheese pie, and in Explorer the Dowager and her men were 'delighting in salty highland cheese on toast'.----------------------------------------------------------- Roseblade Aurelius KCirMachimi WriterPosts: 162(8/5/06 3:45 pm) Xh-ji: Fried green tomatoes are indeed unripe tomatoes covered in cornmeal and fried in peanut oil. They're wonderful, even if it sounds a bit strange. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Eat while still warm. Bansu-ji: You are now renamed Gunga-din. I must know the results of this gastronomic experiment and await with bated non-anchovy breath. However, they do have cheese, though I believe it is from those animals which are useful for domestic tasks and therefore not eaten. As a sidenote, I cannot easily see anyone milking a mecheita, so it has to be some other animal. Maybe a form of domesticated patchikiin? Used especially in households with small children to ensure strong little younguns and a new mother that can actually get something done around the house before the child is on "real food"? A household with only one child and a milk-producing creature may not be able to consume all of the milk produced in one day, especially if the "cow" is atevi-scale and milked at least 2ce daily (morning and night). Oh, and Bren is fed milk (COLD!...which ended up being served over ice) in Foreigner after the infamous tea episode. Perhaps cheese is not very common, and can be used for trade since it is not the most common food (or tribute, which would explain why the aijiin would have cheese available to them but others wouldn't), but the animal that produces it is not to become dinner? Hmmm...must start experimenting and see if Mom and I can come up with a suitable atevi pizza (she's better with strange and different combinations than I am). Perhaps when deer are in season. Venison is game. Or buffalo...though that comes pre-packaged, it's not kept as a herd animal like cattle. Well, not that I know of. I still consider buffalo a protected species. Cornish game hen might work, too. A strong cheese, not mozzerella or cheddar (boring!). Seasonal veggies. Eggplant chunks, maybe. I will also experiment over the next month or so and report the findings. Given my lack of skill with computers, please forgive the lack of pictures. Will try to describe finished product to the best of my ability...with brevity in mind.  Roseblade A. P.S. We really need that atevi chef icon now...and pardon to those who gave me directions, but I'm still trying to figure out what in the #*#&^ you're talking about! Beware the RoseScent will draw you, Beauty entrace you, and you will smileEven as the thorns embrace you.--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Neco the NightwraithArch DruidessPosts: 3954(8/5/06 4:11 pm) Cheese pie sounds awful common to me.------------------------------------------------------------------------- Roseblade Aurelius KCirMachimi WriterPosts: 165(8/5/06 5:36 pm) To Bren, maybe, and to the circles in which he travels, but is it common to everyone else? Would the fisherman and his daughter that helped them in Destroyer have cheese pie available daily, or only on special occasions? They're not from a prosperous village, but from a village that's doing about average, even under Murini. Besides, it could be a little bit of cheese in a creamy-firm filling. Enough cheese for flavour seems to be an excuse to call something "Cheese *insert food here*", even if the actual amount of cheese is miniscule. That never has been very clear, though, has it? Roseblade A. Beware the RoseScent will draw you, Beauty entrace you, and you will smileEven as the thorns embrace you.------------------------------------------------------------------ Neco the NightwraithArch DruidessPosts: 3955(8/5/06 11:49 pm) Atevi have taken to cream cheese, a Mospheiran concept.------------------------------------------------------------ NepentiProfessor of RagiPosts: 1220(8/6/06 11:52 am) The buffalo meat available in stores is raised on bison ranches. I have seen a number of these ranches in Colorado, Wyoming, and Nebraska. The bison spend nearly all their lives on native pasture, and little (if any) time in a feedlot, making them a more ecologically sustainable meat than ordinary American beef cattle. (And this on pasture too dry to use for other agricultural purposes.) Some ranchers are trying out "beefalo" crossbreeds.----------------------------------------------------------------- griffinmoonBujavid SecurityPosts: 384(8/7/06 1:59 pm) Nand'Nepenti:Indeed, buffalo meat is in stores over the past 6 yrs or so. Rediculously priced but totes no antibiotics/hormones/etc. The hamburg I've had of it is very tasty & tender: no overcooking for this item! New York state & Pennsylvania have a number of buffalo & beefalo farms, have had them for 20 yrs that I can think of. There are also Elk farms/ranches in both states where you can buy the meat. Have had the elk places for a number of years, 6-8 that I can think of meyself.----------------------------------------------------------- BansuAtevi CitizenPosts: 17(8/11/06 10:00 am) "Gunga-din"! Thank you Nand' Roseblade, one is most pleased with the new nickname. Also thanks for the correction on the cheese issue, that actually comes as something of a relief... I don't think my ersatz egg substitution was going to be very palatable, hehe. Fortuitously, I may use cheese on this pizza! and' Neco, that sounds like fun, a pizza joint with really weird recipees would probably be pretty successful- dress up the wait staff like aliens and put it in a flying saucer shaped building and we may have a winner. In keeping with the theme I agree that it must be cheese that one usually doesn't find on a pizza- traditionally mozerella and parmesan, and in some homemade efforts in the USA, cheddar or montery jack. I'll need to reflect further on my choice but perhaps camembert for its creaminess and somewhat 'different' flavor for the base cheese and a bit of gouda for some sharpness... hmm, what cheese is "salty"? I just returned from a long journey through Southern Africa and enjoyed dining on a lot of game- S.A. and Namibia have managed to control hunting so that it is a renewable resource; antelope of one shape or another is on the menu pretty much everywhere. I became particularly fond of springbok and eland- if only I could get them here. I like the cornish game hen idea, that has given me a few new topping options to ponder... frog legs anyone? I will try to make this happen soon, but first I must somehow convince a certain female force in my household that I am not insane- maybe I can pass it off as an exotic terrestrial recipe I found online... Happy cooking, Bansu--------------------------------------------------------------------- griffinmoonBujavid SecurityPosts: 399(8/11/06 2:39 pm) Bansu-nadi:Feta cheese, basket cheese or washed curds come to mind. Those are the saltiest one I've come across (being a cheese fiend).------------------------------------------------------------------------ Neco the NightwraithArch DruidessPosts: 3973(8/12/06 1:39 am) Definitiely Feta...made with goat's milk, is about as salty as you can get, I think.-------------------------------------------------------------------- BansuAtevi CitizenPosts: 28(8/30/06 2:30 am) Nadiin-ji, One is pleased to announce that today is the day! I have assembled the ingredients and am preparing myself for the culinary test to come. I have made a few changes and substitutions that depart from the original combination I posted, yet am confident they are well within the guidelines I set for myself and kabiu. I will post again later with the final recipe for today's attempt complete with pictures! Wish me luck! Bansu PS: I still haven't had the courage to tell the lady of the household that I am attempting to make an 'alien pizza from space'- she has been told I've entered an online original recipe cooking contest. If it turns out well I shall confess all.------------------------------------------------------------------------------ NepentiProfessor of RagiPosts: 1260(8/30/06 10:25 am) Alright! Go Bansu! Luck! ("Online" and "recipe" are certainly true. "Contest" might be a bit misleading, though "challenge" might apply. One hopes the Daja enjoys the results.)----------------------------------------------------------------------- hrhspenceChair of Hani StudiesPosts: 2599(8/30/06 2:32 pm) IT is a contest if you are contending against edibility! lol I am hopeful that you succeed! chanurhani language page------------------------------------------------------------------------- Neco the NightwraithArch DruidessPosts: 4048(8/30/06 8:20 pm) I aught to play around with it, but we need to do some serious shopping before I can start. We are down to nearly zip in the fridge.---------------------------------------------------------------------------- XheraltLongscan OperatorPosts: 604(8/31/06 3:17 am) I think that Bansu, in spite of his newness to the forum, should be granted the custom title of "Iron Chef Atevi". Anybody with me on this one? Bansu, have you ever seen the Japanese TV program in question? Or its American successor? I'm incorrigable. Don't incorrige me. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ griffinmoonBujavid SecurityPosts: 419(8/31/06 6:40 am) Nand'Xherault: Excellent idea, go for it!------------------------------------------------------------------------- AsichoSenior Bujavid SecurityPosts: 650(8/31/06 2:04 pm) Yes, Xheralt-ji, I think he should! :D Waiting eagerly for the results, Bansu-nandi! "For me the purest and truest art in the world is science fiction."--CJ Cherryh, Visible Light----------------------------------------------------------------- hrhspenceChair of Hani StudiesPosts: 2601(8/31/06 4:37 pm) And Bansu, Iron Chef of ours, even if it was a disaster, we still want to hear all the details, perhaps even more so! We won't laugh at you; you are being much braver than we are. chanurhani language page------------------------------------------------------------ BansuAtevi CitizenPosts: 30(9/1/06 2:02 am) Greetings Nadiin-ji, One is grateful to all for the attention and support for this amusement! Nan'd Xheralt, I have indeed seen that show, it is one of my favorites and I just watched it last night! It was a thrilling 'lettuce battle'.-It made me think of some of my favorites. One is not sure if he is yet worthy of such a grand title as 'Iron Chef Atevi' but is most touched by the thought. I would also like to thank Nand' Asicho for starting this topic, it has provided me with some sincere enjoyment. And now, without further ado, the full report, commentary and results of my experiments: I began by concocting the key ingredient, 'a green vegetable sauce'. Sauce Ingredients1 Zucchini1 Avacado5 fresh Mint Leaves-spiced with dashes of sage, cumin and emeril I blended all of these in a food processor resulting in:I ended up not blending the green olives into the sauce which in retrospect was an error. Although my green sauce had a pleasant enough taste it needed to have more of a tangy zip as tomato sauce does- the green olives would have provided that and next time (yes, there WILL be a next time) I will go with my original instinct. I was unable to procure my preffered crust, Indian Nan Bread and so settled for a thick Lebanese Pita. Although I was pleased with the Pita's as a crispy crust it was a little too flat for my tastes. Again, next time. The following is a picture of the majority of vegetable ingredients that went into my attempt- unfortunately the fresh mint leaves the lady of the house picked from our small urban garden had already been processed when I thought to take this.
I originally did not intend to use ANY traditional pizza toppings but I yeilded to Mushrooms and Onions. Considering that the Earth of the Atevi is so very similar to Terra in terms of convergent evolution I decided that some kind of edible bulb must be present as such are found all over this world, and the same must be said for mushrooms- certainly the forest loving Atevi would gather edible fungi for their game stews! I chose small Purple Onions which have a pleasantly mild taste. The two types of Mushrooms are 'Oyster Shell' (the fan shaped ones) and 'Angel', both of which being native to Asia at least present a suitably exotic appearance over the common western 'button' mushrooms. I would also like to introduce the two herbs pictured; the small yellow flours are called "Sanou' and are as far as I know only found in Thailand- they have a subtly bitter taste but are used mostly for their interesting appearance. The dark green herb is called 'Laotian Cilantro' but it is much more similar to Dill in flavour. These were both used as toppings. On the subject of toppings I have one small apology to make- I believe I may have taken a bit too much liberty with the boundries of kabiuin regards to the sole meat topping I used.. which was bacon. Believe me Nadiin, the use of bacon was not what I intended but the store we were in (in Bangkok) did not have any other remotely palatable possibilities. I had decided that salami type meats were far too processed and so out of the question and the 'fresh' meat selection was quite pathetic on this day. I determined that bacon was the lesser of the evils as it at least has the appearance of a fresh meat and could by some stretch of the imagination be kabiu if it was salted and consumed within the animal's season. Forgive me, I shall endeavour to do better next time. In any case it was delicious with the Oysters, another major topping. The remaining toppings were Garbanzo Beans, Japanese Eggplant, and Achovy Stuffed Green Olives- the last of which may be construed as being in conflict with my original constraints (not using anything one might find on a terrestrial pizza) but they were delicious. I felt that considering they were green this might be overlooked. The cheese used was indeed Feta Cheese as suggested ny my worthy associates and it worked well with the other ingredients. Here is the finished product hot out of the oven:<<<INSERT PIC>>> I am at the very least pleased with its appearance. And so Nadiin-ji, the heart of the matter- how did it taste? Well, I will be utterly honest with you my esteemed associates; I found it a bit bland. I really missed the zestiness of tomato sauce and I by no means used enough spices. The lady of my household had this to say about it: "It's nice but it doesn't taste like pizza." -All things considered I shall consider that a success. By the way, after I found she could eat it without complaint I told her the truth about the whole affair and the pizza's 'extraterrestrial' nature. She just laughed, I guess she has known me long enough that my eccentricities are no longer very shocking. In final contemplation of the results I find that I must go back to my original concept, refine it somewhat and try again. I do consider this to be successful 'Test 1' and a valuable learning experience although the some of the ingredients I settled for, the implementation and the results were not ultimately to my satisfaction. When I try again I shall be sure to provide a full report in the hopes that it will be to everyone's continued amusement. Most Felicitous Regards, Bansu PS: I shall leave you with one last view of the current concoction: <<<INSERT PIC>>>>------------------------------------------------------------------ BansuAtevi CitizenPosts: 31(9/1/06 2:05 am) Apparently common html formatting Italics[/i/] doesn't work here. I also had a major struggle getting the photos to show- if they go down please do alert me. Please forgive various typos such as 'flours' instead of 'flowers', several grievous spelling errors (avacados and anchovies!) and a few extra 'the's here and there- I am afraid to go back and edit the post lest the images disappear! In any event I hope you have enjoyed the show!------------------------------------------------------------------ griffinmoonBujavid SecurityPosts: 421(9/1/06 8:50 am) Sure looks good, Bansu nadi.Besides upping the amount of herbs/spices, perhaps a bit of salt?------------------------------------------------------------------------- hrhspenceChair of Hani StudiesPosts: 2605(9/1/06 11:28 am) pizza It looks great! and may attempt this some day. chanurhani language page------------------------------------------------------------ NepentiProfessor of RagiPosts: 1263(9/1/06 11:29 am) How marvelous, Bansu! And thank you for giving us the detailed story. We do hope to hear about future refinements. You didn't bake that avocado sauce, did you? (As for HTML formatting, see which formatting style you have enabled on the 'Add Reply' page. That will be the line just below 'Subject'. If you check the 'Preview' button (at the bottom of the 'Add Reply' page), and then press 'Add Reply', you will get a preview of your post, instead of directly posting. If your formatting and images suit you, you can then post the result. I routinely use that Preview button. In exCodes, the format would be: Italics[/i ] without the spaces.)--------------------------------------------------------------- barleysmamaSenior Bujavid SecurityPosts: 521(9/1/06 12:00 pm) YUM!!! Makes me hungry and the only kind of pizza I'll EVER eat is extra, extra cheese with pepperoni. *I do :salad my cheeses*----------------------------------------------------------------------- XheraltLongscan OperatorPosts: 605(9/2/06 4:03 am) Sabina, being the mod for this board, is the one to petition for the custom title. I'm going to PM her as soon as I finish this post, but anyone else who wishes to (up to and including bansu) may join in this. I'm incorrigable. Don't incorrige me. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- AsichoSenior Bujavid SecurityPosts: 654(9/2/06 5:33 am) So very cool, Bansu-nadi! *bows to one highly placed in the Chef's Guild* Very glad your daja enjoyed it, as well! :D "For me the purest and truest art in the world is science fiction."--CJ Cherryh, Visible Light----------------------------------------------------------------- hrhspenceChair of Hani StudiesPosts: 2608(9/2/06 11:16 am) Bansu should ask Mule to change his title, if he wishes to have a different one. I for one think Iron Chef Aiji is the best one to ask for. in chanurhani language page------------------------------------------------------------ XheraltLongscan OperatorPosts: 609(9/2/06 1:24 pm) I'd forgotten that little detail, about custom titles. D'oh! edit: I think "Aiji" in custom titles should be informally reserved for mods and such. Iron Chef Atevi is like Iron Chef French (Hiroyuki Sakai)...it names the style of cuisine. I'm incorrigable. Don't incorrige me. ------------------------------------------------------- NepentiProfessor of RagiPosts: 1266(9/2/06 1:58 pm) "Iron Chef Atevi" -- That would be perfect!-------------------------------------------------------------------- the mulePaidhi-aijiPosts: 4925(9/4/06 8:33 am) Following the notices here and also the pm's I have received, The office of the Paidhi hereby wishes to announce the title of Iron Chef, Atevi has been awarded to Bansu in recognition of his achievements.-------------------------------------------------- XheraltLongscan OperatorPosts: 613(9/4/06 6:47 pm) .....and now, for the NEXT dish... ;) which in atevi, as I recall, implies what you do after an assasination takes place.... I'm incorrigable. Don't incorrige me. ---------------------------------------------------------- BansuIron Chef, AteviPosts: 32(9/5/06 11:11 am) Nadiin-ji, One is most humbled by your enthusiastic support of my culinary attempts. A title bestowed upon one so new as myself is a most extreme honour and I am sincerely grateful for all of your consideration. Apparently PMs were sent, one is somewhat embarrassed by all the special attention but naturally one can't help but be exceedingly pleased as well. Nand' Mule- the Paidhi Aiji, I would indeed be most pleased with the title 'Iron Chef Atevi' as Nand' Xherault originally suggested (without a comma as is the Japanese way if it would not be a bother). I am by no means at the level of an 'aiji' in any regard but one thanks Nand' hrhspence for the ernest thought. One is most gratified that one has provided amusement for those gathered here, I assure you I will make another, and I hope, even better attempt in the near future- after all if I am to be honored with such a title I must exercise the skills it implies from time to time! A most enjoyable and extreme delight Nadiin! My sincere thanks. Bansu PS: I see in the preview that my title has already been added! A wonderful treat indeed! -There is indeed a comma, it is truly a trifle and in no way effects the felicitous numbers of the phrase so do not feel compelled to go to any lengthy trouble to make that change nadiin, I am quite satisfied.----------------------------------------------------------------- the mulePaidhi-aijiPosts: 4931(9/6/06 8:39 am) The comma is no trouble at all bansu-ji, consider it done.----------------------------------------------------- Neco the NightwraithArch DruidessPosts: 4062(9/8/06 3:04 am) And what's cool about the title is that it looks and sounds authentic! Most kabiu indeed. A Soul of WaterA Soul of StoneA Soul by NameA Soul UnkownThe Hours UnmakeOur Flesh, Our BoneA Soul is AllAnd All Alone -The Book of Counted Sorrows ************************** Hopefully we can continue this culinary art form here in the new board, I am past due for a new attempt! -Bansu   Posted: 11:04 PM - Jan 07, 2007BansuHere is Nand Asicho's delicious looking version:
And some photos from my first modestly successful attempt:

-I still feel I personally have not achieved the best possible outcome for this exercise and will continue to experiment- I hope others will join me! Bansu   Posted: 12:22 AM - Jan 09, 2007Neco the NightwraithIt looks exotic enough!  Posted: 10:36 AM - Mar 29, 2007Ogre_in_BarrowAll,As a "newby" I must say that I thought of the the green sauce as much like the condiment light green sauce used at Peruvian & Salvadoran restaurants. It has a creamy texture but a spicey taste. It is (I believe) traditionally used on meat dishes but also tastes great on fried yucca. Regards,Ogre_in_Barrow   Posted: 6:07 PM - May 10, 2010Neco the NightwraithPerhaps this could somehow be tied or associated to the cookbook thread? I think it'd be great to have it available for my potential chefs out there.  Posted: 7:13 PM - May 10, 2010BansuNeco the Nightwraith,May 11 2010 wrote:Perhaps this could somehow be tied or associated to the cookbook thread? I think it'd be great to have it available for my potential chefs out there.Excellent idea Neco-ji, by all means forge a link! One wonders if we shouldn't start an all new green pizza topic elsewhere in the forums? Here in the archive one hesitates to post new developments. I could then document my continued efforts and other associates could join in as well.   Posted: 7:20 PM - May 10, 2010hrhspenceYes, one should link to a thread here, but not add to what is in the archives.  Posted: 7:42 PM - May 10, 2010BansuIndeed Spence-ji, here is the link to the continuation of this topic !  All times are UTC-07:0~ 

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

4/26/2020 7:10 pm  #2

Re: Bansu's Green Sauce Pizza

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 1 of 16Posted: 7:40 PM - May 10, 2010BansuGreetings Esteemed Associates,

After seeing fellow 'Iron Chef' Neco-ji's continuing interest in this uniquely Shejidan activity one decided to go ahead and restart this topic from where it began,now part of the archives.

Invader describes the pizza (p. 237-239, DAW paperback):
wrote:    The servants brought the tray in and set out a very large flat bread, with an amazing array of foods atop, all appropriate, all seasonal. But on a green vegetable sauce.
    [...]

"We hadn't the red sauce," cook said. "We're told it will come, but the plane was delayed by weather."
    [...]

They had tomatos and potatoes, peppers, onions and herbs on Mospheira they didn't allow to cross the strait uncooked, for fear of seeds and starts and the mainland ecology, although atevi who'd tried tomatos found something in tomatos and potatoes and peppers they relished, and there was a seasonal trade; but the ubiquitous green sauce, peppery and sour, went well with the bread and atevi foods piled atop so thickly a single slice was gluttony--and there was plenty of that among the staff.
    [...]

"What does the dish celebrate?" a servant wanted to know, and the paidhi rapidly searched his mental files and said, shamelessly, "Success in hard work."
I intend to present my latest version as an appetizer at the forthcoming Shejicon and so shall document the process here. I invite all other Shejidan chefs to join in with their own versions or comment on mine, this is open to all comers!

Enjoy!

Bansu

Posted: 7:50 PM - May 10, 2010shlinasOh my goodness, this sounds fun! I routinely make my own pizza, and have even made pizza using tandoori naan as crust before.

hrm...must think on this.Posted: 8:08 PM - May 10, 2010Bansu
shlinas,May 11 2010 wrote:Oh my goodness, this sounds fun!  I routinely make my own pizza, and have even made pizza using tandoori naan as crust before.

hrm...must think on this.
Shlinas-ji! By all means join in!!!  Posted: 2:44 AM - May 11, 2010Arianne_LuinithilLooking forward to seeing the recipe here! I've always wondered at making pizza, and the green sauce pizza is an intriguing dish. Perhaps I will commandeer my aunt's kitchen for this; one's oven sadly gave out many years ago, and one has missed one's mother's roast chicken and bread pudding, and the yearly fruit cakes ever since...Posted: 3:14 AM - May 11, 2010NahtanhaAfter some consideration, I think a tomatillo relish with green birds eye chillies and wasabi would make an excellent sauce, but I'm a bit stumped for the base. Have never developed a liking for naan, has anyone had good results with anything thicker?

To my delight tomatillos are no relation to tomatoes at all, so making this as atevi-ish as possible is proving quite fun.Posted: 3:26 AM - May 11, 2010Arianne_LuinithilI decided to look up tomatillos since I'd never heard of them-- and what do I see on my screen but a picture that looks very very rather like the nameless bush I used to have outside my glass windows? They got uprooted by my neighbour, who detested them as a weed.  Mum and dad have fond memories of those fruits-- they used to eat them when ripe. Very sweet and slightly tangy.

Nahtanha-ji, tomatillos may be no direct relation to the tomato, but they AER within the same genus, I believe.Posted: 3:37 AM - May 11, 2010Nahtanha"Not related at all" was a pretty silly indulgence in hyperbole on my part.

Pondering hunting my own duck for a topping to give some extra authenticity, a whole roo is overdoing it even for me.Posted: 4:32 AM - May 11, 2010BusiferUsing naan for pizzas?!?! Argh!
Nothing on a pre-baked bread can EVER deserve the right to call itself a pizza.
Warm sandwich, yes. Pizza, no.

Here's a recipe I use fairly often (makes four European sized pizzas) -

25 g (0.9 oz) fresh yeast
2,5 dl (1 cup) finger warm water
7 dl (3 1/3 cup) wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt

Starter dough: Dissolve the yeast in 1.5 tablespoon of the finger warm water.
Add 2 tbsp flour. Mix until smooth.
Let it rise for 30 min, under a cloth.

Use almost all the flour to form a volcano, the caldera/hole as deep as possible. Pour the starter dough plus salt, add rest of the water bit by bit. Work for at least 10 minutes. When smooth, form into a loaf, and split in four equal balls. Rise under cloth for 2 hours.

Use one ball per pizza. Flatten, use knuckles to make the cornicione/"edge".

Cover with whatever you like ;-)

Don't forget to sprinkle olive oil on the pizza before baking it; 10-15 minutes in 275 deg C (527 F, if my converter is right).Posted: 5:47 AM - May 11, 2010NahtanhaIs that a more thin and crispy sort of traditional Italian style crust, Busifer-ji? For some reason I always imagine that green pizza having a much thicker and bready base.Posted: 6:38 AM - May 11, 2010Neco the NightwraithNahtanha, may one inquire as to which state you reside?

Roo sounds like an excellent pizza topping, and may one suggest that roos are one of those game species that has no season? ;)All times are UTC-07:00
Page 1 of 16

4/26/2020 7:11 pm  #3

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 2 of 16Posted: 6:39 AM - May 11, 2010BusiferIt's a traditional recipe from Napoli, by some thought to be THE home of the pizza... so definitely thinner than American pizza but Italian... in my experience "Italian" varies even in Italy, so I really can't say. It's not cracker thin, though.Posted: 6:47 AM - May 11, 2010SekishiThat's so strange - I was relating that very scene as one of my favorites to a friend of mine in the car Saturday!

Looking forward to the outcome.Posted: 7:04 AM - May 11, 2010penceNeco jji: I think that the fruit that you are remembering is the Cape Gooseberry, also marketed as goldenberry (I've seen dried ones in Trader Jope's). It is a close cousin of the Tomatillo. The fruits make great pies too, if you can get enough, as they are tiny compared to tomatillo's.Posted: 7:06 AM - May 11, 2010penceAnd for the Pizza: How about a clam sauce, with spinach and limejuice, with Szechuan Pepper as a spice?Posted: 8:05 AM - May 11, 2010SabinaHmm, standard cake recipe on yeast basis without sugar. I'm happy I got that right the time I made pizza from scratch (and had no idea what dough it's made of), although we do use milk instead of water and the mixture of yeast and flour happens in the flour volcano, one uses the side of the volcano for flour. Has the added advantage that you can put any other ingredients you might need outside of the volcano so after the first rest they have the same temperature the yeast/flour mixture which then isn't shocked by possibly cold ingredients.

I love yeast based dough, it's so easy to make and such a nice dough to handle, it so nicely pulls into a ball itself (in contrast to other dough which shall remain unnamed).

For green sauce, food color would also be a "dirty" choice.

Take pictures when you are done with your experiments.Posted: 8:54 AM - May 11, 2010BlueCatShipNahtanha, that avatar is great, I'm snurching it just because. (My old avatar for years was Hobbes' face.  )

I'll have to confess I've never made pizza from scratch. I'll have to get industrious one weekend (after stocking up at the grocery store) and try it.

-- I don't have a pizza stone, but do have cookie sheets (steel). Should I buy a pizza stone? (Newbie to making pizza, recall.)

Huh, green sauce.... You know, that sounds good. I've only had fried green tomatoes *once*, despite being a Southerner / Southwesterner. (Texan.) I'd really liked them. When I think of green sauce, though, I think of salsa verde, which is on the hot/spicy side. I tend to prefer mild, but I try to build up my tolerance for hot peppers, because I like the foods and the people, and want to appreciate what friends eat.  Tomatillos? I've rarely had them, as far as I know. Hmm, have to get some at the store. Cherry tomatos, oddly enough, are quite nice. Cherry-ness? LOL.

I tend to prefer a thin crust pizza, but deep dish is also good. I prefer lots of veggies along with the meats. Without the veggies, it seems incomplete to me.

Hah, I love the quote, success for hard work. sosted: 9:12 AM - May 11, 2010BusiferI don't have any pizza stone, I do mine on an ordinary baking plate (?), in an ordinary oven. Works fine!Posted: 9:47 AM - May 11, 2010Sabina
Busifer,May 11 2010 wrote:I don't have any pizza stone, I do mine on an ordinary baking plate (?), in an ordinary oven. Works fine!
Same here: ordinary baking tray, ordinary electrical oven.

Btw, a real pizza oven has a higher maximum temperature than a standard electrical oven, so your pizza needs to stay longer in one of the later.Posted: 5:17 PM - May 11, 2010Nahtanha
Neco the Nightwraith,May 11 2010 wrote:Nahtanha, may one inquire as to which state you reside?

Roo sounds like an excellent pizza topping, and may one suggest that roos are one of those game species that has no season? ;)
I think I agree with you Neco-ji, Skippy is pretty close to a seasonless game  Sadly I live in Perth, so everywhere is a bit of a hike.Posted: 8:32 AM - May 12, 2010BlueCatShipThanks for the suggestions, folks. Whenever I do get brave and try my hand at homemade pizza, I'll be sure to report the results. Comedy may ensue! :laugh:All times are UTC-07:00
Page 2 of 16

4/26/2020 7:12 pm  #4

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 3 of 16Posted: 9:40 AM - May 12, 2010shlinas
Busifer,May 11 2010 wrote:Using naan for pizzas?!?! Argh!
Nothing on a pre-baked bread can EVER deserve the right to call itself a pizza.
Warm sandwich, yes. Pizza, no.
Oh come now, one does not always have the time nor the energy to make pizza crust from scratch, and I find it a delightful change. Many times I do make my own dough for pizza crust, though I double the recipe for one crust because I like a thicker crust.

I was myself considering along the lines of a green chili enchilada sauce.Posted: 10:05 AM - May 12, 2010BusiferWell, if I want pizza and don't have time to wait for it I have a choice of italian style pizzerias to choose from... 

Not everyone can.

I sometimes do pizza-style things on ciabatta bread, but I call them pizza-sandwiches. I'm a bit orthodox, that way. But having been served 'pizza' done on pre-baked bread at restaurants once or twice (abroad, and not in Italy) I'm just a wee bit allergic. So to speak!Posted: 10:10 AM - May 12, 2010MirandaI suspect the colonists would have brought a wide array of cuisines. Something just off standard pizza sauce has been presented; I'm not sure how peppery it is, but Mint Chutney would make a green sauce. I know the steam came out my ears when I tried it.

Related stupid question. Thin crust or thick? If gluttony with a single slice is involved, I'm thinking thick to support the toppings.

All this talk of baking is making me crazy! My oven hasn't worked for two years and I'm too cheap to go buy a new stove. By the time I pay for a repair service to fix the thermostat, I might as well replace the thing. I only regret it when I want to bake bread or other treats.
 Posted: 10:17 AM - May 12, 2010shlinas
Busifer,May 12 2010 wrote:Well, if I want pizza and don't have time to wait for it I have a choice of italian style pizzerias to choose from... 

Not everyone can.

I sometimes do pizza-style things on ciabatta bread, but I call them pizza-sandwiches. I'm a bit orthodox, that way. But having been served 'pizza' done on pre-baked bread at restaurants once or twice (abroad, and not in Italy) I'm just a wee bit allergic. So to speak!
In a restaurant, yes, fresh crust is a MUST. And I do enjoy it best when I make the crust. But eating out is usually not an option in our household, so one must do other things.

edited to add: A thought occurs nadiin-ji, but what of the subject of cheese? Do the atevi have such a thing? Since they seem fairly comparable to human in the important parts, one assumes they are basically mammalian, and therefore nurse their young, and that other animals would, too. But would the atevi use an animal's milk? One does not remember reference to cheeses, but one's memory is not to be relied upon on this subject.

further edited to add: And could one be reminded of the kabiu rules of preserved meats?Posted: 12:46 PM - May 12, 2010Arianne_LuinithilUhm. Atevi have cream cheese at least. Mospheiran idea that took off like a wildfire on the atevi side of the straits. And they have milk. Where the milk comes from, no idea.

As for the kabiu of preserved meats: memory is REALLY blurred, but I seem to remember from Foreigner that any out-of-season meat that is not preserved as a condition of its serving (preserved and direct to table like say, jerky) is not considered kabiu, or at least not very much in accordance with the customs. No Ragi atevi would eat preserved meat or think of willingly consuming meat out of season (unless presumably the choice was that or starve), except for an enterprising bunch somewhere in the South (or was it the Eastern coast?) who happily supply Mospheira with processed meat, but they are the exception, and not well-looked upon for it either, one gathers. Ilisidi's household seems to be less rigid on the matter on private occasions as opposed to the Bu-javid's strict rigidity of adherence to kabiu, meaning that poor Bren in the leaner months within the Bu-javid must get very tired of eggs and shellfish, which are regarded as having no season, and whatever sea fish are in season should the land animals in season be otherwise unsafe or unsavoury.Posted: 2:29 PM - May 12, 2010shlinas
Arianne_Luinithil,May 12 2010 wrote:Uhm. Atevi have cream cheese at least. Mospheiran idea that took off like a wildfire on the atevi side of the straits. And they have milk. Where the milk comes from, no idea.

As for the kabiu of preserved meats: memory is REALLY blurred, but I seem to remember from Foreigner that any out-of-season meat that is not preserved as a condition of its serving (preserved and direct to table like say, jerky) is not considered kabiu, or at least not very much in accordance with the customs. No Ragi atevi would eat preserved meat or think of willingly consuming meat out of season (unless presumably the choice was that or starve), except for an enterprising bunch somewhere in the South (or was it the Eastern coast?) who happily supply Mospheira with processed meat, but they are the exception, and not well-looked upon for it either, one gathers. Ilisidi's household seems to be less rigid on the matter on private occasions as opposed to the Bu-javid's strict rigidity of adherence to kabiu, meaning that poor Bren in the leaner months within the Bu-javid must get very tired of eggs and shellfish, which are regarded as having no season, and whatever sea fish are in season should the land animals in season be otherwise unsafe or unsavoury.
I'm glad there's cheese of some sort. I don't know if I'd consider a pizza without cheese a real pizza!

As for the meat, that's what I seem to remember. So, where does that put, say, sausage? (the kind I'm thinking of is the type that you would get uncooked, and then cook it yourself, but things like salami or pepperoni are a good question too)Posted: 2:59 PM - May 12, 2010hrhspenceSalami and Pepperoni are meats that are deliberately preserved in a dried fashion as a part of the recipe. Therefore, they are kabiu.Posted: 3:00 AM - May 13, 2010NahtanhaSlightly nervous: ingredients expedition scheduled for the morning and first test cook in the evening. As I ransack Kakulas Bros and Lucky Import, hopefully you can test a few points of my logic.

Bren had no idea it was pizza, so I'm thinking: it was probably not round, nor slathered in cheese. With that in mind, for my prototype I'm going with a rectangular sourdough base, and including cheese as just another ingredient, rather than a covering layer. So far as the variety, have picked bocconcini based on the short maturation (it's clear cheese is kaibu, but I can't see fastidious lowlanders really taking to a years old roll of aged cheddar or parmesan) and mild flavour, plus the different shape.

Any thoughts? Holes in my logic? Accusations of being a nutjob perfectionist? Starting to feel really, REALLY nerdy.Posted: 3:47 AM - May 13, 2010Arianne_LuinithilOh, definitely, nadi! I'm thinking that if one is to geek, one should geek all the way. So far your logic looks about right. I'm wondering now-- was the pizza a triangle, pentagon or heptagon? Remember the argument about felicitous numbers of pieces to cut up the pizza in... Is four felicitous or more or less neutral in atevi number theory? 2 is bad, three felicitous, as is five and seven, but four?Posted: 4:27 AM - May 13, 2010SabinaI think all even numbers are inherently bad in atevian numerology unless felicticised by another element (four bodyguards, one charge).
Six is chancy, but eight once again is really bad.All times are UTC-07:00
Page 3 of 16

4/26/2020 7:15 pm  #5

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 4 of 16Posted: 5:00 AM - May 13, 2010NahtanhaOh f- I hadn't even considered that aspect. A triangular pizza is going to take up so much space in the oven   Posted: 8:00 AM - May 13, 2010BetYeagerThis probably won't be helpful for anyone else, Neco, but I have always thought of Trader Joes Green Salsa for the sauce. It is JUST as Bren described it. I will bring some to Spokane- if no one else agrees on it for pizza then we will still have the best salsa ever for chips!And if not a homemade crust, anyone remember Boboli? That's exactly what it was sold for, making pizza at home. I don't know a lot about goats milk for drinking, but nursing mothers who are having supply issues will often use it as a supplement instead of infant formula because the fat molecules are smaller and more easily absorbed by humans than cows milk. The milk is mild but tastes a bit like goats... certainly you have had goat cheeses? MUCH better than sheeps milk. I don't think Bren knew it as pizza at first, but once it was said he instantly recognized it as such!  Posted: 8:53 AM - May 13, 2010hrhspenceI think the greenness of the sauce would make anyone wonder what it was at first.  Posted: 11:40 AM - May 13, 2010XheraltI think you can cut pizza in the usual human fashion (evenly divided into 6-8 slices) because that *induces* atevi who see it to render it felicitous by removing and eating a slice. I've halfway suspected that's why atevi have children -- because a pair is infelicitous, adding a third fixes that. And it's simpler to form multiple different trios than to stay with a single partner and have three or five children with that one. Stopping at two or four magnifies the infelicity of two, and may lead to what humans would call infidelity to correct it. From Babylon 5, regarding Lennier:wrote:SHERIDAN:  Well, on Earth, we say 'three's a crowd'DELENN:  On Minbar, three is sacred.  Posted: 11:53 AM - May 13, 2010spiderdavonwrote:I think you can cut pizza in the usual human fashion (evenly divided into 6-8 slices) because that *induces* atevi who see it to render it felicitous by removing and eating a sliceYes, but then who will take the next slice and leave an infelicitous 4 or 6? Perhaps an alliance of convenience that allows simultaneous removal of the next two pieces?  Posted: 11:55 AM - May 13, 2010XheraltThat sounds about right.   Posted: 12:24 PM - May 13, 2010BusiferBetYeager,May 13 2010 wrote:I hope I didn't give the impression that I eat like that...NO - you only described "how to eat nachos"   Posted: 1:04 PM - May 13, 2010SabinaThe post from the split in its entirety Use creative cutting, so you have three three-sided pizzas in there. Picture coming soon ... hopefully edit:Like so, works for rectangle pizzas and brings felicity to your house. Can be cut into further felicitous pieces. And you can try different toppings at the same time.   Posted: 7:03 PM - May 13, 2010shlinasMy husband is going to be so confused when I actually get around to doing this and start cutting it strangely. lol He seems at least willing to humor me on the green sauce part.  Posted: 7:18 PM - May 13, 2010hrhspenceIf it turns out, then we should try it when you come through Vegas this summer.  All times are UTC-07:00Page 4 of 16 

4/26/2020 7:16 pm  #6

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 5 of 16Posted: 5:58 AM - May 14, 2010NahtanhaIt has been a long day, nadiin. However, dinner was worth it! Took a number of photos, but have to upload them somewhere, and my tired brain is saying that's a job for tomorrow. Green sauce turned out wonderfully, so I'll work on full pizza v1.1 as soon as my sourdough ferment is alive.

Sauce ended up composing of one 794g tin of tomatillos, drained and pulped, half a tsp of garlic, around a third of a cup of chopped corriander (lots of stem) and about a tablespoon of wasabi. Cooked the mix gently until it thickened and got a green, peppery and slightly sharp result. Wouldn't describe it as properly sour, but that could just be my palette.Posted: 6:13 AM - May 14, 2010BusiferHmn, coriander makes this recipe a definitive no-no for me, it tastes too strongly of shampoo. I might try to experiment a bit on my own...

(Wonder what family might think of green pizza, this weekend...)Posted: 9:00 AM - May 14, 2010BlueCatShipI will second the earlier comment: If you're gonna geek out, go for major geek mode. Geek pride, baby. 

Tomatillos, Jarlsberg cheese... mmmm... interesting grocery list this time. (The weekend after this, likely, for new food experimentation, unless I get more time or urgent cooking inspiration this weekend.)

The idea of a slightly sour green sauce, tomatillo or tomato or other base, still sounds very good.

Not being familiar -- would a circle not be a felicitous shape or number? Numerically, it's either a zero, a one (single or continuous "side"), or infinite.

Heheh, now if you do a Moebius strip or a Klein bottle pizza.... (Pizza in a bottle? Oh no, esteemed seri, that sounds somehow.... On the other hand, just after jump.... Well, no. Wait until you get to the galley, then cook up a pizza. ) The Moebius strip, however, could have possibilities. (Wrap the pizza fixings inside the crust? But then it's a pizza roll or a.... Hmmm.... The mind boggles.)

Y'all realize, this means I'm likely going to order a pizza this weekend?! osted: 9:28 AM - May 14, 2010hrhspenceI would think a round pizza would be a unity of one, and therefore quite felicitous.Posted: 9:34 AM - May 14, 2010Neco the NightwraithI have to agree with spence, the other possibilities make cutting to crazy.

Thinking about pizza today. I'm going to investigate sauce recipes, and see what I can come up with.

Edit: Do you think a little bit of vinegar would add the sour taste? Like, if you used something like green tobasco, that has a vinegar content to it?Posted: 10:02 AM - May 14, 2010BlueCatShipVinegar might help with the sour taste, yes, but you'd want to be careful how much. There's the "pucker" factor. That could give a sweet-and-sour sauce taste to it, alternatively.

Lemon or lime juice?

Dill?

Tart tomato-ey flavors? Tart / sour veggies or fruits?

...You know, this gives a really good view into how it would be for the humans duplicating atevi recipes, or hani or mahen trying to explore human foods....

How do you describe something as distinctive as, say, cinammon or coffee or chocolate (mmm, chocolate) to someone who's never tried them? I suppose there's no real way except to sample them, because an analogy doesn't really come close to a taste or smell.

Describing tortillas and nachos in the other thread, something that is commonplace for me (and for most Americans these days) but that is rare for most international people, gives another side to that. -- Or describing the difference between one food or drink that's close, versus another. Southern-style fried catfish and french fries are not quite the same as English fish and chips. German beers and sausages are different from American varieties. German potato salad is almost a different thing altogether from American (Southern) potato salad. (German potato salad is very good.)

So -- the great green sauce Shejidan Pizza experiment must proceed apace.

Does the phrase "saucy wench" have any bearing, other than a cute aside or a fun Ren-Fair reference? ;) Huh, and what would be the male equivalent? "Saucy knave? Churl?"

Coeurl? Coeurl?Posted: 10:25 AM - May 14, 2010Sabina
BlueCatShip,May 14 2010 wrote:German potato salad is almost a different thing altogether from American (Southern) potato salad. (German potato salad is very good.)
It then also depends on the family recipes, the potato salad my mother makes varies quite widely from the one my grandmother makes which is different than the one my aunt makes (using the same recipe in that case).
Then there's regional differences, sausage isn't quite sausage (Thüringer Rostbratwurst obviously being superior to the rest ). Or the ever difficult case of Rote Grütze, all called the same name, but, ihmo, some versions are nay impossible to eat.

On top of that add differences and uncertainties in translation or instructions to the mix and one might get completely different meals. (I hate: "Uses spices according to your taste.")Posted: 10:31 AM - May 14, 2010hrhspenceAmerican Recipies are known for their exactitude. Quite often the person using it has never tasted the end product before and therefore has no experience to "use spices according to your taste."Posted: 10:39 AM - May 14, 2010Neco the NightwraithLol, instructions like that often assume that the cook is quite experienced, and knows what to do.

So far! I've found a variety of interesting green sauce recipes. Some with the "Mexican" flair of chilies and tomatillos, others using avocado and sour cream as a base, and one using spinach as a base. I realize I might have to make a couple pizzas with different sauces, and at least a couple different cooking methods (broil and bake).

For toppings well, I'm still a little stuck on those. I want to use things like shiitake or other brown mushrooms, prices allowing, tangy salty cheeses like feta and chevre, roasted cloves of garlic (probably not very atevi, but then, rare is my cooking without garlic, and I'm sure even the atevi might find garlic quite felicitous. )

I'm a little stuck on meats. Perhaps buffalo mince? Something smoked within it's season? Sausage? Dunno. In that I'd be pushing the limits of kabiu a bit anyway, since we don't have access to game much here. Ah well.Posted: 10:41 AM - May 14, 2010Busifer
hrhspence,May 14 2010 wrote:American Recipies are known for their exactitude. Quite often the person using it has never tasted the end product before and therefore has no experience to "use spices according to your taste."
Well, I once got into a heated discussion because honestly, I couldn't make America Pancakes on a hunch - I had never made any before and had no idea how thick the batter had to be. I was accused of being fascist because I wanted a recipe with plain measures 

Now, I do experiment with dishes and ingredients to which I am familiar, but making a specific dish from scratch? Not so happy with that. Especially since conversion can be a horror, even with exact measures...

(I now own no less than two cup-measures, with cups and ounces on one side, and decilitres on the other.)All times are UTC-07:00
Page 5 of 16

4/26/2020 7:16 pm  #7

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 6 of 16Posted: 10:43 AM - May 14, 2010Neco the NightwraithBusi-ji, pancake batter needs to be thick enough to rise properly in the pan, but still of a consistency that allows it to pour. Also, the first pancake is almost always a flop. Posted: 11:00 AM - May 14, 2010SabinaI heartily recommend shiitake mushrooms, they are very tasty and generally cheaper than forest mushrooms (of questionable origin over here) which taste the same. Though there shouldn't be any other ingredients with a strong aroma, imho, it would be a waste covering their fine taste with something else.
Oyster mushrooms are great, too. Almost as strong tasting as the shiitake, generally cheaper. We have a bunch of oyster mushrooms growing on the balcony, but the conditions aren't very good so they have trouble growing.

I wouldn't recommend agaricus (champignons), so far I never had any that tasted anything but bland.Posted: 11:00 AM - May 14, 2010Busifer
Neco the Nightwraith,May 14 2010 wrote:Busi-ji, pancake batter needs to be thick enough to rise properly in the pan, but still of a consistency that allows it to pour. Also, the first pancake is almost always a flop.
Oh, I nowadays have perfect recipe, I often do blueberry pancakes for lunch when I'm working from home because my family don't like them. At all. So I have to make the occasion when no one else is home.

But beyond that my main problem is that self-raising flour is expensive here - I have to get it from The English Shop, who imports it in small quantities.

Using my Hackman non-stick pan (not teflon, something else, something that handles both sharp edges and heat) not one pancake is a miss :wubosted: 11:03 AM - May 14, 2010Busifer
Sabina,May 14 2010 wrote:I wouldn't recommend agaricus (champignons), so far I never had any that tasted anything but bland.
Marinated in olive oil, herbs and garlic they can be real edible... *drools*
But I agree, not on pizza.
Just like seafood shouldn't go on a pizza, imho. Warm seafood is... wait, I have already used the word sacrilege once already in this thread Posted: 12:51 PM - May 14, 2010shlinas
Busifer,May 14 2010 wrote:Marinated in olive oil, herbs and garlic they can be real edible... *drools*
But I agree, not on pizza.
Just like seafood shouldn't go on a pizza, imho. Warm seafood is... wait, I have already used the word sacrilege once already in this thread 
Did you actually use the word sacrilage Busi-ji? I'm assuming it's the premade bread crust thing. lol Just looked, you said "argh" and that something on a premade bread couldn't call itself pizza, but the word "sacrilage" wasn't actually used. =Þ Unless I missed it elsewhere.

edited to add: in the days since your comment about naan, I decided that maybe I'll make a foccacia-type thing for crust? It's not sacrilage if I make it myself at the time, is it? 

As for the circle pizza, weren't we discussing other shapes because the pizza mentioned didn't seem to be round? It didn't specify shape, just that it was a flatbread on a tray, but that doesn't engender roundness in my brain.

Posted: 12:56 PM - May 14, 2010BusiferThanks, I now remember using the s-word in a like context but another place... 
It concerned asparaguses, which are in season here in Sweden at the moment!Posted: 12:58 PM - May 14, 2010hrhspenceFlat bread on trays wouldn't be recognized as traditional pizza, no. But if they were to bake a crust, round would do.Posted: 1:15 PM - May 14, 2010shlinas
Busifer,May 14 2010 wrote:Thanks, I now remember using the s-word in a like context but another place... 
It concerned asparaguses, which are in season here in Sweden at the moment!
I searched for the word (I was curious) here in this thread and in the nacho thread that got split off, and the first occurrence is the one where you said you'd already used it. So feel free. =ÞPosted: 1:35 PM - May 14, 2010MithaHow about a large oval for the atevi pizza? Maybe Mospheiran pizza is like Sicilian style, a thick rectangle of dough?
Busifer wrote:...self-raising flour is expensive here - I have to get it from The English Shop, who imports it in small quantities.
Horrors! No one should be deprived of pancakes!

I usually use Bisquik, a store-bought mix which makes admittedly inferior pancakes, but I grew up accustomed to pancakes that are essentially large, slightly "heavy" crepes, we would roll fruit or jam up inside them, ah, yum, and no other pancakes truly compare.

Anyway, I found this on allrecipies.com, it looks about right, and with lots of reviews got 4 1/2 stars, so it should work.

“Good Old Fashioned Pancakes”

Ingredients

190 g all-purpose flour
10 g baking powder
6 g salt
10 g white sugar
295 ml milk
1 egg
45 g butter, melted

Directions
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

Sifting, a step I typically skip, appears to be important for fluffiness, and ingredients should be close to room temp. Also, you know that baking powder is NOT the same as baking soda, right? The website converted the measurements from the original:

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Posted: 2:36 PM - May 14, 2010BlueCatShipHaha, great convo.

For that green sauce, I'd think avocado and sour cream would be more moist or thick than you want for the pizza sauce. Tomatillos with some chilis makes sense; spinach makes some sense (to me).

Pancake batter -- should form a thread or light rope when you test by dripping a spoonful into your mixing bowl. It shouldn't be too thin and liquid, but neither should it be thick enough to form globules when it leaves the spoon in that drip test. That's possibly the best rule of thumb I can think of that you can repeat easily at home. As said above, the first pancake may be a flop. (You flopped the flip?  ) The batter should be thick enough that the pancakes form either very tiny bubbles while cooking, or it does not form bubbles. Large bubbles or a very fluffy, airy pancake, that means the batter is too thin. You want them about an eighth of an inch thick, roughly half a centimeter; not as thin as a crèpe or blintz, and the batter is a bit thicker than for those. (My understanding is that a crèpe and a blintz are the same thing by French and German names, but that may not be correct. It's handy to have some German speakers to ask!)All times are UTC-07:00
Page 6 of 16

4/26/2020 7:17 pm  #8

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 7 of 16Posted: 2:48 PM - May 14, 2010BlueCatShipA large oval? How about a square with a semi-circle on either side: (==).

Hmm, a hexagon or octagon are out, even numbers of sides.

-- Just how insistent are they on mellifluous numbers? Even when a human culture is big on a given number, they would recognize that some things, practically speaking, must be not as harmonious in shape / number / placement.

For example, aren't tables or doorways or windows likely to be rectangular? Gridlines? If they have a psychological, spatial, or simply a cultural preference for circles, arches, or triangles for such things, then trays for cooking and serving food would likely follow whichever their preference is.

Also, that would mean that dividing by halves would be infelicitous, yet that's... good grief, that would make one of the foundational concepts of computer science or of calculus to be infelicitous. There would need to be some rationale by which that could be explained. Two is the only even prime number. Yet two is not felicitous, it's disharmonious?

Edit To Add:

Are there degrees of felicitousness in atevi numerological theory? May one number be more felicitous or less, than another?

...Just as long as there's enough pizza to go around!Posted: 3:01 PM - May 14, 2010hrhspenceAtevi like Primes and hate numbers divisible by twos.

Shli and the Mrs and I are planning out our ateva Pizza. she's planning on making one next week and then we'll have one when she brings the grandchildren down this summer. I'll have to post pix.Posted: 5:10 PM - May 14, 2010shlinasOval actually makes a lot of sense, since it's a lot easier to make a ball of dough flat into round shapes than something with angles and sides. I mean, the Bujavid is very kabiu, but there gets a point when it's too much work to be practical.Posted: 5:33 PM - May 14, 2010hrhspenceNo one would say an egg is not kabiu in shape, so why should an oval loaf of flat bread be un-kabiu?Posted: 5:57 PM - May 14, 2010shlinasRight, which is why it makes sense. It's just as felicitous as, say, a pentagon or what have you, and a lot less work to make.Posted: 9:55 PM - May 14, 2010Neco the NightwraithLadies and Gentlemen of all races! Behold! Neco-ji's Awesome Green Sauce Pizza!

First, the Green Sauce:

[url=http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=147685&id=708524742&comments#!/photo.php?pid=3897534&id=708524742]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... =708524742[/url]

Applied liberally to a crust:
[url=http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=147685&id=708524742&comments#!/photo.php?pid=3897535&id=708524742&fbid=397029179742]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 7029179742[/url]

Shown next with all the toppings:
[url=http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=147685&id=708524742&comments#!/photo.php?pid=3897536&id=708524742&fbid=397029194742]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 7029194742[/url]

And baked:
[url=http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=147685&id=708524742&comments#!/photo.php?pid=3897537&id=708524742&fbid=397029199742]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 7029199742[/url]

Green Sauce:

6 cups of baby spinach, washed and dried
3 cloves of garlic, minced
salt
black pepper
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup water

Cook spinach and garlic in water for five minutes. Blend together in a food processor with salt, pepper and cottage cheese.

Green sauce was applied to a premade boboli crust (this was too last minute to make the crust from scratch). On top is mozzarella, "parrano" and feta cheeses, hot Italian sausage, shallots and portabello mushrooms, because the store had only really super skanky looking skiitakes. Bake, eat, enjoy the awesome.Posted: 12:16 AM - May 15, 2010Xheralt
hrhspence,May 14 2010 wrote:Atevi like Primes and hate numbers divisible by twos.

Shli and the Mrs and I are planning out our ateva Pizza. she's planning on making one next week and then we'll have one when she brings the grandchildren down this summer. I'll have to post pix.
Circles are felicitous, and a unity of one.

Traditional "pie" slices are felicitously three-sided; square pieces would be infelicitous.

Even number of sections (six or eight) is forgivable, I reiterate my contention that the even number will induce an ateva to "fix" the infelicity by eating a slice, and I  the notion of alliances-of-the-moment to remove slices two at a time once the first piece is gone, to keep the remainder an odd number. It really does fit the atevi social dynamic. Or, someone could eat a piece solo when the remainder was odd, to intentionally introduce infelicity -- or to make a wordless statement.

I think six slices would be more likely than eight, because that requires felicitous three cuts across the pizza's diameter; it is the easiest way to generate equal-sized portions. Maybe if the pizza is large enough, go to ten pieces (five cuts). I don't like options that generate unequal portions, and don't believe atevi would either.Posted: 7:25 AM - May 15, 2010shlinas
BlueCatShip,May 14 2010 wrote:Also, that would mean that dividing by halves would be infelicitous, yet that's... good grief, that would make one of the foundational concepts of computer science or of calculus to be infelicitous. There would need to be some rationale by which that could be explained. Two is the only even prime number. Yet two is not felicitous, it's disharmonious?
Isn't that why computers were so hard to get the main-stream atevi to accept? They didn't trust the computer's numbers?Posted: 8:12 AM - May 15, 2010BlueCatShipNot a Facebook member here, but glad you had success (and fun) creating the pizza.Posted: 12:33 PM - May 15, 2010spiderdavonAs entertaining as it is, I doubt the obsession with numbers extends to portions of food. If you have a plate of beans, do you count them to ensure you have felicitous number? I count 86 beans. If I eat one to leave a felicitous 85, then I have eat and unfelicitous even number with each mouthful to maintain felicity on my plate. I eat beans since I can't cut meat, having removed my left arm to ensure a felicitous number of limbs. Sorry? I missed that, you're sitting on the side I removed an ear from.....All times are UTC-07:00
Page 7 of 16

4/26/2020 7:19 pm  #9

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 8 of 16Posted: 12:46 PM - May 15, 2010hrhspence2 ears + 2 eyes + one brain = 5

two legs + two arms + one head = 5

make felicitous what isn't and ignore what you have to. This is a matter of belief not of empirical science.Posted: 1:00 PM - May 15, 2010spiderdavonMaybe, but I don't they're going to obsess about a plate of food, except, possibly, for formal meals. I refuse to accept they won't cut a sandwich in half or eat two pieces of pizza.Posted: 1:50 PM - May 15, 2010shlinasBut a dinner with a Lord in the Bujavid would be a formal meal, would it not?Posted: 4:18 PM - May 15, 2010Xheralt
shlinas,May 15 2010 wrote:Isn't that why computers were so hard to get the main-stream atevi to accept? They didn't trust the computer's numbers?
Their issues with computers are easy enough to get around -- just hardwire the Least Significant Bit (2^0, aka "1") always on (and then programmatically ignore it as a dummy value), and ALL values will technically be odd. Which means that atevi computers will essentially have 7, 15, 31, and 63-bit processors instead of our norms. Having the "1" bit always on also eliminates divide-by-zero errors and most off-by-one programming errors.Posted: 4:24 PM - May 15, 2010hrhspenceSpider,

I am sure that a pile of grain seeds, cooked like our corn or beans would be one unit, even if I were to take bites out of it, it would just be a smaller and smaller unit.
 Posted: 9:19 PM - May 15, 2010shlinas
Xheralt,May 15 2010 wrote:Their issues with computers are easy enough to get around -- just hardwire the Least Significant Bit (2^0, aka "1") always on (and then programmatically ignore it as a dummy value), and ALL values will technically be odd. Which means that atevi computers will essentially have 7, 15, 31, and 63-bit processors instead of our norms. Having the "1" bit always on also eliminates divide-by-zero errors and most off-by-one programming errors.
Yes but the ones who cared about number felicity were the ones who were less educated about the processes, yes? The more educated of the atevi seem to be the less superstitious, as is true in human cultures, which is why the Guild and others were so accepting of them, right?Posted: 6:38 AM - May 16, 2010smartcatHi...I am brand new to Shejidan and, of course my first post is going to be about food! We experiment with Green Pizza....basic pesto sauce made with basil, lots of raw garlic,and spicy garlic oil (chinese food section of market) combined with fruity olive oil.....have also thought about using a combo of wasabi and fresh, grated ginger..... (spicy does not always have to be HOT?).
Any thoughts on how this would be cooked?
I personally prefer to grill it outside ...but what are Atevi kitchens like?

Posted: 8:56 PM - May 18, 2010shlinasOh s I need suggestions for toppings for pizza as I will be shopping tomorrow. My mind is utterly blank.Posted: 6:32 AM - May 19, 2010Mithasmartcat-ji, I think a grill would be quite kabiu. I have this recollection of Bren telling the Phoenix captains, with regard to atevi cooking food on either the station or the ship, I forget which, that they will not be cooking over an open flame out of consideration for safety issues.

shlinas-ji, not knowing what kinds of things you like, here are some things I like on pizza: mushrooms, quartered artichoke hearts, tomato slices, black olives, lots of cheese (mozzarella, provolone), sliced green peppers (but I don’t put them on because they don’t agree with me), very thin onion slices, cooked fresh Italian sausage (the kind that comes from the meat section, typically available in Sweet, Mild, and Hot, I like Mild, Hot is…pretty hot, for me –and you have to cook it first, then put it on your pizza). Hmmm, what else might be good…thinly sliced or chopped small zucchini and/or eggplant, cooked shrimp or crab (though the mild flavors of those last two might get lost in the rest of the tastes), more cheese (maybe ricotta and freshly grated parmesan), cooked ham, cooked chicken…does that sound like gluttony yet?

Posted: 9:02 AM - May 19, 2010smartcatRather than use a true tomato sauce we now season a good tomato paste with fresh herbs and put a thin layer on before adding any toppings....this seems to avoid a lot of the sog issues...if using seafood toppings we also precook the crust and add stuff like clams, shrimp, scallops etc during the last five minutes or so. Prog (my resident pizza griller) likes to use no more than 4 toppings at a time....but he is a purist.All times are UTC-07:00
Page 8 of 16

4/26/2020 7:20 pm  #10

Shejidan Shejidan Green Sauce Pizza RevisitedPage 9 of 16Posted: 9:55 AM - May 19, 2010Arianne_LuinithilI like pineapple and chicken shreds. Crabsticks (yes I know, not really crab, they're Alaskan pollock). Definitely black olives. Ham is good-- too bad bacon isn't quite kabiu?Posted: 11:51 AM - May 19, 2010BusiferCured meat, like jamon serrano, plus goat's cheese and garlic. I realise the atevi don't have any goats, but the meat ought to be kabiu, oughtn't it? Or some nice salami, like Felino or Milanese... I have seen pizza with eggs on, that might please the Dowager, but IMHO it doesn't fit on a pizza...Posted: 12:06 PM - May 19, 2010hrhspenceew, me either!Posted: 5:08 PM - May 19, 2010shlinasSo here's what I've decided...I forgot to check this before I went shopping!

Provalone cheese, and maybe some of my leftover mozzarella. I have sausage too (the kind that you must cook before you eat), and then today I got a green pepper, yellow squash, merdeake mushrooms, a sweet onion (I debated a red one, but was getting sweets anyway. I may go back), a can of stewed tomato slices (as they said they didn't let tomatoes over raw, only cooked, so seeds wouldn't escape out into the ecology, nevermind that the sauce was green in the book because they hadn't yet received their shipment of tomatoes!), and potatoes, that I will cube or shred and saute with butter and maybe the onions.

Now to pick the day. Today is not the day, as I'll be making a focaccia for the crust, and since I did my grocery shopping marathon today I have neither the time nor the energy.Posted: 6:56 AM - May 20, 2010Serendipity(shrinks against the wall and whimpers: "Newman's Own" is pretty good ...)Posted: 9:10 PM - May 20, 2010BansuGreat googly moogly! Six pages of posts!?! Well done my Esteemed Associates!

Now that things have quieted down here in Bangkok I intend to get away from subjects I really don't enjoy *cough*politics*cough* and back to the pizza!!!! But first looks like I have some reading to do!

-Can't wait to get back in the kitchen!   Posted: 2:27 PM - May 22, 2010shlinasToday's the day! My foccacia bread crust is rising as we speak! SO excited!!Posted: 4:41 PM - May 22, 2010BetYeagerYay!
And what time should we be there?Posted: 5:16 PM - May 22, 2010shlinas
BetYeager,May 22 2010 wrote:Yay!
And what time should we be there?
Now? lol

My focaccia bread crust. Yes, I got lazy and just made it round. I didn't feel like trying to find another pan to put it on.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/siproetastelenes/picture%20girl/P1060026.jpg" style="max-width:100%;">

With tomatillo salsa verde as green sauce. When I try this with Spence-ji I think I will puree the sauce rather than just using a food processor like the recipe calls for. It was a bit watery.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/siproetastelenes/picture%20girl/P1060027.jpg" style="max-width:100%;">

With toppings (provolone cheese, sausage, green peppers, yellow squash, shiitake mushrooms, potatoes sauteed with butter and onions, and canned stewed tomatoes)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/siproetastelenes/picture%20girl/P1060028.jpg" style="max-width:100%;">

Baked (I put more cheese on top to help hold everything on), and cut into 9 slices
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/siproetastelenes/picture%20girl/P1060030.jpg" style="max-width:100%;">

5 slices remaining, up for grabs!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/siproetastelenes/picture%20girl/P1060033.jpg" style="max-width:100%;">

I rather enjoyed it, even if the salsa was a tad spicy. Husband pronounced it "Odd but all right."Posted: 5:21 PM - May 22, 2010hrhspenceI wish I was there to eat some, but since you've sent the pic, I'll just grab one now!All times are UTC-07:00
Page 9 of 16

Board footera

Contact the Guild