Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/04/2021 8:11 am  #1

Hurricanes and fire

I hope all associates that are in  areas effected by the storms and fires are safe.
I was lucky. Cape Cod just got rain - a lot but not nearly as bad as the New York area - along with a tornado warning in the middle of the night that most people slept through.

9/04/2021 12:46 pm  #2

Re: Hurricanes and fire

Be safe, everyone.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

9/04/2021 5:43 pm  #3

Yes, take care everyone.  The imagery we've been seeing is horrid.

Meanwhile, over here in the outer colonies, we've just come through a suspiciously mild winter and are anticipating another dangerously hot summer to come.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

9/05/2021 6:01 am  #4

@Pence, did you get anything of Henri? We had rain, a lot of wind with some heavy gusts taking down trees.
Here on top of the hill there are still many dead trees from the caterpillar invasion from a few years ago. We are repeatedly glad that we had the dead Oakes taken down a few years ago. But still, many trees and limbs down. We lost power for about a day and a half. We were prepped with gas in the car, power inverter, plenty of ice in the freezer. Power was on fairly quickly, cable was out for six days. 
All things considered Ida was easy. Little wind but more than six inches of rain. 
We have been rewatching TREME, which given the circumstances seems appropriate.
Toes crossed that all are safe.

Last edited by Smartcat (9/05/2021 6:02 am)

"You must be mad," said the Cat, "or else you would not have come here."

9/05/2021 5:48 pm  #5

Henri was slightly galeish but dry, I've seen worse March winds.

9/07/2021 3:09 am  #6

Several inches of rain in the basement and a ruined fiberoptic cable box. Considering the devastation in the Philly suburbs where much of my family resides, very fortunate. The home of the friend of my niece outside Philly was destroyed by a tornado, and another friend wound up with a tree in her bedroom. 
Wildfires, flooding, 500-year storms, tornados where they are rare…..I wonder why this is happening? 😉

One world -- or none

9/15/2021 7:44 pm  #7

We had a scant half inch of water in our basement, thanks to prophylactic sump pump work the spouse had done some years back, but hundreds of our neighbors lost literally everything they owned to torrential floods from Ida. The wreckage is still being removed from street sides everywhere in the community and people are trying to mobilize to amass donations of everything conceivable for the flood victims. It is horrible. 

10/29/2021 6:35 am  #8

In the THAT WAS FUN! DEPT. We came thought nor'easter okay.  We were fortunate that the power only went out for about a minute. Other parts of the state were not so fortunate. Our internet did go down for about a day. We watched some dvd's.  This is why I like having copies of movies. 

"You must be mad," said the Cat, "or else you would not have come here."

10/29/2021 7:52 am  #9

Ah, yes.  Nor'easter = cold weather hurricane. At least that's how I prepare for them.  Came through safely, thankfully.  This one had wind gusts above 90 mph, many trees and substantial tree limbs down.  Almost 60% of my town lost power, but I was lucky, I only lost power for a few hours.  Many parts of town are still listed as "indefinite" for power restoration.  

Hope all who experience these weather events stay safe!

Talent hits a target no one else can hit.  Genius hits a target no one else can see.  
- Arthur Schopenhauer

10/29/2021 3:22 pm  #10

Finally got power back. Listening to the roar of the few generators in the neighborhood gave me great empathy with the sans culottes during the French Revolution. Some of the stuff on the top two shelves in the house freezer were starting to get soft but the lower shelves were frozen solid so I got by there. The garage chest freezer telltale quart of ice cream was soft verging on melting but not over the edge. everything else seemed hard so I just squeaked by. Tomorrows chore is turfing out the refrigerator side of the fridge.
I understand another storm is due to  move in tomorrow.

Board footera

Contact the Guild