Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2021 11:20 am  #111

Re: Vaccination status?

Thank you, all.  I will bow out of this discussion.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

8/23/2021 11:44 am  #112

nighthawk wrote:

I feel as though I should apologize for starting this conversation, but back in January it didn't seem controversial or political!  It does seem like a lot of topics are secretly sowed with landmines now, in August.  

Shall we talk about the weather instead?  I woke up to a thunderstorm, and when I saw that the nearest lightning strike was 0,1 miles away my morning walk was postponed.  Maybe later.

You are so right! There was no reason in January to expect this issue would be so fraught. But it is. Definitely not your fault for raising it!
I understand the strong feelings the topic engenders, but I would strongly encourage people who want to focus on vaccination behavior they object to to do it elsewhere. It’s not that these feelings are wrong, it’s that the way we keep this place civil and useful is not to say all the things that are going to make civil conversation impossible.

One world -- or none

8/23/2021 1:08 pm  #113

Aja Jin wrote:

scenario_dave wrote:

starexplorer wrote:

Spence’s example may be a sad case where dialog proved impossible, At least so far. But this community has been in thriving existence for many years. And part of that is that we maintain a high level of respect for members opinions and ideas. Where that is too difficult - and it has been very rare over the years - we have even had to lock or terminate threads. This is first and foremost a place devoted to the love of books. There are many other communities available for discussions that won’t fit here.

I will be happy to keep talking about CJ's books with Spence or any other anti-science people as long as they continue to be polite and not abusive. I find disagreeing with someone interesting until it becomes abusive. I love talking politics but I understand this is not the place for it. But when someone says something I find dangerous to society or offensive I must call them on it. I don't expect them to change but there may be a lurker around that might follow bad advice if it is not contradicted. 

I feel the same way.  IMO we should make this place a no politics zone (and I consider non-fact based covid/vaccination talk to be intensely political). 

The problem with no politics are that CJ's books are full of politics. Bren is a politician at heart. 

8/23/2021 1:12 pm  #114

Roci wrote:

nighthawk wrote:

Shall we talk about the weather instead?  I woke up to a thunderstorm, and when I saw that the nearest lightning strike was 0,1 miles away my morning walk was postponed.  Maybe later.

I have been fortunate the past couple weeks, but 3 weeks ago a storm passed by my house. Rain was falling 90 degrees sideways, coming up from under the window sills. 3 tree limbs came down, and a 4th was weakened enough to fall several days later on the road in front of my house.

I live in a valley. A couple hundred feet up the road, the most storm damage anyone had was a few leaves scattered along their yards. Sometimes, it feels like there's just going to be a particular day that I in particular am doomed for not having suffered through enough hardships.

A hurricane which turned into a tropical storm hit my state dead on yesterday. I live fairly inland and on the third floor and other than it being very windy with a fair amount of rain, it I hadn't known I would have thought it was just a really bad rainstorm. On the other hand, thousands of people closer to the shore lost power and there was a lot more damage a few miles to the west of my state. 

8/23/2021 1:21 pm  #115

Sorry for speaking out. I know several people who have left this community in the past because of vehement disagreements about matters of importance just like this one. 

8/23/2021 2:02 pm  #116

Kokipy wrote:

Sorry for speaking out. I know several people who have left this community in the past because of vehement disagreements about matters of importance just like this one. 

I'm sorry to hear that. IMO, the problem arises when people get mean spirited and personal. Or refuse to shut up.

It shouldn't be a problem if someone says something controversial. Someone disagrees. They go back and forth three or four times and drop it. Where the problem comes in is where the argument continues and spreads to other threads. This is a thread about vaccination so discussion about vaccination is on topic. But what happens sometimes is that people continue the argument on a thread that has nothing to do with the vaccine. That needs to be nipped in the bud. 

8/23/2021 2:03 pm  #117

Roci nadi:

A valley will channel a high wind like a funnel. That is why you had the event you did..

Board footera

Contact the Guild