Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/18/2021 11:06 pm  #51

Re: What have you been reading lately?

Kokipy wrote:

Has McDonald written anything lately, Star? I haven’t seen anything from him in years. Is your change in practice based on disappointment in a recent work?

While the first Luna book, Luna: New Moon, had its pleasures, ultimately I didn’t feel that it was up to the high standard that had led me to read all his books. River of Gods and The Dervish House really raised the bar to a height hard to achieve. While I still respect his work, sadly I can’t keep him on the exalted pedestal on which I had previously placed him. I hope future books will change my mind.

One world -- or none

7/19/2021 5:59 pm  #52

starexplorer wrote:

River of Gods and The Dervish House really raised the bar to a height hard to achieve. While I still respect his work, sadly I can’t keep him on the exalted pedestal on which I had previously placed him. I hope future books will change my mind.

Your point is very well made, Star.  I can't disagree.  Those two books were astonishingly good.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

7/20/2021 7:06 pm  #53

I loved The Dervish House, but have not been able to engage with River of Gods

7/21/2021 4:53 pm  #54

I wasn’t wild about the Luna books either. I would probably keep reading him, tho. However my reading seems to have really slowed down lately, not sure why….

7/22/2021 8:47 pm  #55

Kokipy wrote:

I wasn’t wild about the Luna books either. I would probably keep reading him, tho. However my reading seems to have really slowed down lately, not sure why….

I will keep reading him. He’s just no longer in my “authors whose every work I buy without research or question“ category.

One world -- or none

7/31/2021 7:46 pm  #56

I found We Are Legion (We are Bob) in my audible queue and just finished it. It was fun (except I take exception to the way the narrator pronounced Archimedes).  I thought of you,  Star, because I think what with one thing and another it manages to include pretty much everything that I believe intrigues you 

8/02/2021 11:04 am  #57

Really?! Now that itself is intriguing!

One world -- or none

8/02/2021 1:33 pm  #58

Apocalypse, AI, psychiatry, space flight, colony ships, virtual reality, engineering, alien life forms, pre-historic mammalian development and technology, ethics, terraforming, you name it, this author fit it in, without any damage to the internal consistency of the story. Some of it - primarily the main character’s self-admitted juvenile humor and constant allusions to sci fi tv and movies- gets a trifle tedious but it is within the limits of my toleration. I listened to it on Audible, which might be a better approach than reading it, and while the narrator was not my favorite he was competent for the task. It’s not a great work but I enjoyed it enough to buy the sequels- not that one would need to. The first one resolved satisfactorily. 

Last edited by Kokipy (8/02/2021 3:06 pm)

8/06/2021 10:47 am  #59

Kokipy wrote:

Apocalypse, AI, psychiatry, space flight, colony ships, virtual reality, engineering, alien life forms, pre-historic mammalian development and technology, ethics, terraforming, you name it, this author fit it in, without any damage to the internal consistency of the story. Some of it - primarily the main character’s self-admitted juvenile humor and constant allusions to sci fi tv and movies- gets a trifle tedious but it is within the limits of my toleration. I listened to it on Audible, which might be a better approach than reading it, and while the narrator was not my favorite he was competent for the task. It’s not a great work but I enjoyed it enough to buy the sequels- not that one would need to. The first one resolved satisfactorily. 

Wow that sounds like a stew with many ingredients. Not easy to pull off. Sounds like something I ought to check out - thanks!

One world -- or none

8/06/2021 11:30 am  #60

Kokipy, I think I'll look it up and read it, too.  Thanks for the recommendation.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

Board footera

Contact the Guild