Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/28/2021 12:43 pm  #1

Floating My Boats

Finally, after 2 years I've gotten one of my kayaks in the water.  I bought it in July 2019 but right afterward, I hurt my right elbow, which resulted in two surgeries.  It's not fully healed, and it still is painful to put pressure on that arm, but I decided to try anyway. Since this particular boat had never been in the water, I was anxious to see how it performed.  I wasn't disappointed, but I did have an issue the first time (which was a week ago) in not having the footbraces properly adjusted.  Yesterday, I adjusted them and it was much better.  Still difficult to paddle with that arm, and I'm not in as good shape physically as I was before.  With work, that will improve.  Still, had a good time on the water, but alas, nobody with me.  I have a friend who wants to come out with me, so I need to get a paddle that fits her.  No big deal, as I want another paddle for the second boat.  My other boat is just under 5 meters long and is designed for larger bodies of water and inland seas, and the newer boat is about 3.8 meters long and is more suitable to river excursions - not whitewater, though. It would have been great to have had it for Shejicon 3 when we went down the Little Spokane River.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

7/30/2021 6:20 am  #2

Re: Floating My Boats

It must feel so good to get back to something you enjoy.  Toes crossed the arm continues to get better.
I am not big on boating, but back in the dark ages of the 1970's we lived on a salt water pond. We spent many happy hours exploring the shoreline from kayak and canoe. It's amazing what you see from the very different perspective of a small craft.

"You must be mad," said the Cat, "or else you would not have come here."

7/30/2021 7:20 am  #3

When I first bought the boat, I had not brought two straps to tie it to the car rack, I had only one strap, and without thinking, I tied down the rear of the boat, instead of the front.  As soon as I got on the road, the boat started to lift from the front and flipped back. I broke the roof rack mounts, as well as did some superficial damage to the spots where they clip to the car.  The biggest worry I had was that I might have cracked the hull when the boat hit the road, but all that I found were scuff marks.  Since it's been on the water for an hour each time, if there were a problem, I think it would have become obvious by now.

Last edited by joekc6nlx (7/30/2021 7:21 am)

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

7/30/2021 8:53 am  #4

Oh, that sounds like quite the learning experience!

Sounds like fun, though.  I keep thinking about a kayak, because I know it's good exercise, but I also know it'll probably never get used.  So I'll live vicariously through you!  : )

How often do you get out in it?

------------------------
"'Machigi!' Paigiti said.  'The blaspheming gods' own foot-washer.  I heard you were involved."
-- From Divergence (Foreigner series - book 21)
------------------------

7/30/2021 10:13 am  #5

Good to hear you're getting to do something pleasant.

7/30/2021 10:41 am  #6

Wow.  Notes from the Live and Learn Department, Kayaking Subdivision. 

Glad you are recovered enough to get the kayak in the water and finally enjoy it.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit.  Genius hits a target no one else can see.  
- Arthur Schopenhauer

7/30/2021 11:23 am  #7

Jackalgirl wrote:

Oh, that sounds like quite the learning experience!

Sounds like fun, though.  I keep thinking about a kayak, because I know it's good exercise, but I also know it'll probably never get used.  So I'll live vicariously through you!  : )

How often do you get out in it?

I try to get out as often as I can, but it's dependent on the weather.  I will not go out if it's raining and there's a chance it might have lightning.  Usually once a week, if I can get there.  My house is about 12 miles from the lake, and there's a boat launch designed for handicapped people, but is open for anyone to use.  Since I consider having severe arthritis as a handicap, I am allowed to use it without guilt.  It makes it so much easier to launch and recover than the regular boat ramps allow. 
I bought my first kayak in 2005, it's a larger boat, and is designed for day trips.  The smaller boat is more suitable to rivers, but I've not taken a class in river kayaking yet.  Whitewater kayaking does not interest me, I'm well past that age of thrills and spills. 

8/02/2021 1:52 pm  #8

I got another paddle for my friend.  It's even nicer than my first paddle, I am going to take it out and test it tomorrow morning.

8/02/2021 5:20 pm  #9

A friend here from my usual morning gym crew has recently joined the local canoeing club that gets out on Lake Burley Griffin in the early mornings.  Why he'd want to do that in a dark and very cold Canberra winter is beyond me, but I guess we are both silly enough to be at the gym at 6am in the pre-dawn cold.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

8/10/2021 3:08 pm  #10

That sounds like such fun!  My daughter and son-in-law have lake access, and I'm trying to persuade them to get a boat. Or they could join one of the groups that keep a boat at the neighborhood dock, if there's an opening.  I see a lot of the small inflatable boats, which would be good for them as they don't really have any extra covered storage (and I'd be happy to buy them one, but I would want them to choose it themselves).

Board footera

Contact the Guild