Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2021 3:57 pm  #11

Re: Maps for the Transportation Guild

I was about to type "it's good to know there are more of her series that need maps" but in all honestly, I'm kind of sad that's the case.  I love maps, and am constantly flipping back and forth to make sure I understand where the current part of the narrative is occurring, and its position relative to other places.  It kills me when there's so much detailed information in a story about geography and places and there's no corresponding map.

------------------------
"'Machigi!' Paigiti said.  'The blaspheming gods' own foot-washer.  I heard you were involved."
-- From Divergence (Foreigner series - book 21)
------------------------

7/26/2021 4:15 pm  #12

joekc6nlx wrote:

Jackalgirl wrote:

I'll probably be a long while before I read that series ("Fortress"), but if it grabs me, I'll totally do it. : )

I found "Fortress in the Eye of Time" to drag a little bit, but I felt the same for "Fellowship of the Ring".  World-building takes a lot of time and explanation and can be off-putting to those who are looking for action.  Nonetheless, it is important and brings much background into the series.  Between the Morgaine series and Fortress, it's hard to pick which I like better, which is not to put down the "Foreigner" series, just my own preference.

Very valid observation. I think Fortress is very different from the remaining books, which, to my recollection, became very much in the style of Foreigner by the end. 

7/26/2021 4:47 pm  #13

Very valid observation. I think Fortress is very different from the remaining books, which, to my recollection, became very much in the style of Foreigner by the end. 

Agreed. And, imo, Fortress is one series that really needs another volume to provide resolution, as does the Nighthorse sequence.  But that's a whole 'nother topic.

Back to maps.  I'm one who has spent an inordinate amount of time over the years pondering A/U and Compact star maps and how and where they're connected - we know they are and roughly how, but I want the details. 

And then there's the whole question of how to overlay the Gates network onto A/U space - we know humanity's initial encounter was in Union space.

Yes, maps are important and I think I know what today's distraction will be.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

7/26/2021 5:29 pm  #14

Surtac wrote:

Yes, maps are important and I think I know what today's distraction will be.

<pats couch> You can sit right here next to me.  ; )

------------------------
"'Machigi!' Paigiti said.  'The blaspheming gods' own foot-washer.  I heard you were involved."
------------------------

7/30/2021 5:18 pm  #15

Many heartfelt greetings, nandiin, nadiin --

I've updated the map again -- version 6 now -- since I finished Peacemaker (book 15).

I added a label for the Cismontane Association and also added a marker and label for Halrun estate, as well as some minor adjustment to label backgrounds (that I will probably continue to play with).

I still have work to do: Peacemaker mentions Crescent Island, off the coast of Mospheira, as a site of unregulated human industry that's blowing pollution all over Dur and the Gan people on the west coast.  So I need to do a map review and then figure it out and add it in.  Also, there's a description of a rail line that goes out of Shejidan and goes north, and that a line through the Padi Valley comes off of that line.  That was how I had it before I decided it made more sense for the line going out of Shejidan towards the East would go through the Padi Valley, given that in Protector, it's very clear that the Marid line "meets" this line in Kadagidi Township.  So now I'm trying to decide whether to revert (and have the Marid line actually crossing the easterly line) or whether to continue with my assumption that, as one of the oldest Associations on the continent, that the main line of the railroad would logically go through there.  I think I'm going to stick with the latter, and add another line that goes through the northern part of the Padi Valley; it would make sense that the Associations and clans farther north would want to do business with the Valley, and it would be likely that a line would go there from the northern line, rather than northern commerce having to go all the way to Shejidan only to go back northeast to get into the Valley.  

So there should be a version 7 fairly shortly.  Or I might just wait until my reread of Book 16, which is imminent. : )

------------------------
------------------------

Board footera

Contact the Guild