Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/25/2021 6:43 pm  #1

Maps for the Transportation Guild

Felicitous greetings nandiin, nadiin!  

I finished my re-read of Book 14 ("Protector") today and am starting on Book 15 ("Peacemaker").  "Protector" added some little details and placenames, primarily in the Padi Valley, that I have added to the mega master map I have been putting together.

The map is a link to a 2550 pixel-wide monster on my homepage, which will probably make the detail easier to see.

Some of the changes I made to the previous version:

- Shifted the rail line going eastward from Shejidan so that the rail line coming up from the Marid crosses it "north and east" of Shejidan, as mentioned in "Protector".
 - Extended the rail line from the Marid to Kadagidi Township, which I've positioned south of Asien'dalun adija (estate).  The book seems to mention two rail lines: one that runs more or less east/west through the valley, and then this rail line from the Marid through Hasjuran and then up to Kadagidi, so I'm imagining Kadagidi Township up in the hills above the valley, and the rail line wending its way up the hills but not extending to make the grade down into the valley proper.
 - Added the other rail line from the main northbound line that runs eastward through Atageini and Kadagidi territory (as best as I can tell from descriptions of where Bren's bus goes at various parts of the story)
 - Added territory for Ajuri and a marker for the Northern Association
 - Added Purini township/clan, which is described as being between Ajuri territories, along with another small clan which is not named, and the Padi Valley.
 - Added Reijisan village in the Dojisigin Marid.
Added Brosin Ana village, described as the last stop on the rail line leaving the Marid and going northwards.
Added Targai-adijia, "on the doorstep" between Sarini Province and the Marid.

I've had to move/modify things from the canon maps in the books to fit the text, and I've exchanged some emails with C.J. in which she's told me that some of the official map artists didn't quite get it right (or had to smoosh things to fit the format) - for example, she really wanted Malguri in the East, and closer to the coast.  In order to match up with the text in the books ("Deceiver", in particular), i placed Malguri about as far east in the Bergids that I could, and then connected it with the big honkin' river system (which makes me think we need some steamboating adventures) so that she has relatively easy transit down to the port on the southern coast of the East.

Otherwise, though, if you see any errors or have any constructive suggestions, I would be most grateful to hear about it!  I'll be rereading the other books in the stories to cull out other place names and references, so this map is a work in progress and absolutely is going to be tweaked and changed.  (For what it's worth, one day I'd like to add more colors/rough biome information, which I've got going on the painterly, unlabeled version of this on my website, but for now, I want to concentrate on the place names and infrastructure data.)

May this map provide you enjoyment (and maybe a little bit of safety?) on your journeys across the Earth!

------------------------
"'Machigi!' Paigiti said.  'The blaspheming gods' own foot-washer.  I heard you were involved."
-- From Divergence (Foreigner series - book 21)
------------------------

7/25/2021 7:15 pm  #2

Re: Maps for the Transportation Guild

Wow!  What a great job!  It would be nice to see a more detailed map of the "Fortress" series, Ylesuin and
Elwynor (or as it was called in ancient times, Meliseriadd", kind of Welsh-sounding, hmm?)  Then on to the Morgaine maps......or the AU star charts.....but I digress.....

Last edited by joekc6nlx (7/25/2021 7:18 pm)

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

7/25/2021 8:53 pm  #3

beautiful!

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

7/26/2021 6:22 am  #4

These are fantastic. They need to be in the books!  

7/26/2021 9:20 am  #5

Thank you, everyone!  I have my own dream of a coffee-book (maybe with approved fan fiction short stories) with a pull-out map but, as CJ's noted before, those things are prohibitively expensive.  When I'm done with the entire series (again), I'll probably shoot it her way and hopefully it'll be useful.

------------------------
"'Machigi!' Paigiti said.  'The blaspheming gods' own foot-washer.  I heard you were involved."
------------------------

7/26/2021 10:17 am  #6

Wonderful map.
And I'm with Joe - would love to see maps of the Fortress world.

7/26/2021 10:20 am  #7

I'll probably be a long while before I read that series ("Fortress"), but if it grabs me, I'll totally do it. : )

------------------------
------------------------

7/26/2021 11:16 am  #8

You know, now that I think about it, I think that the loop of the railroad going east of Shejidan actually is farther north than I have it, and includes the length of rail that I have going up the Padi Valley.  I think I will adjust this today and see what it looks like (especially because CJ describes the line coming up from the Marid as "meeting" the main line, as opposed to "crossing" it).

------------------------
------------------------

7/26/2021 1:12 pm  #9

Good afternoon, nandiin, nadiin --

It bugged me enough that I added some excuses--I mean, mountains--for the Marid leg of the great loop to go up to Kadagidi territory, and for the line in the Padi Valley to become the northeastern leg of the great loop.

It makes more sense to me: as one of the oldest Associations and original signatories to the concord that brought about the aishidi'tat, it would make sense to me that that particular rail line would be one of the original parts of the railway system at large.

I hope that's it for the day.  My brain thinks in fits and starts, so it's always a struggle.

------------------------
------------------------

7/26/2021 1:31 pm  #10

Jackalgirl wrote:

I'll probably be a long while before I read that series ("Fortress"), but if it grabs me, I'll totally do it. : )

I found "Fortress in the Eye of Time" to drag a little bit, but I felt the same for "Fellowship of the Ring".  World-building takes a lot of time and explanation and can be off-putting to those who are looking for action.  Nonetheless, it is important and brings much background into the series.  Between the Morgaine series and Fortress, it's hard to pick which I like better, which is not to put down the "Foreigner" series, just my own preference.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

Board footera

Contact the Guild