Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/22/2021 7:04 pm  #11

Re: Art for the Artists Guild

Jackalgirl wrote:

Aja Jin wrote:

I love that banner, and wonder about the felicity of the symbols --- 6+1+1 !! Yikes!

Well, I would say that the last symbol isn't a symbol, per se -- it is a letter, and stands on its own, to represent what the other seven are fighting/striving for (which in and of itself is an abstract concept, where as the other seven represent actual people).  

As for the people, the 6+1 is completely deliberate.  Their association is infelicitous without their scoundrel. : )

ah, well done

7/10/2021 8:53 am  #12

Messing around with medieval-style fingerloop braiding (see fingerloop.org for details; also, Morgan Donner's excellent videos on YouTube of same).  I bought some red crochet thread and made some Ragi ribbons:

From left to right: "a grene dorge of vi bowes" (also known as "grain d'orge" or "barleycorn") in blue and black (a black and a blue loop each for the center section of the ribbon), then the Ragi ribbon of the same pattern, using a black loop and two loops for the red for the center section, which gave the ribbon a little more heft.  Then I went full-out and tried the "brode lace cheuron of 8 bowes" from Harley Manuscript 3230 (also described very clearly on fingerloop.org) in Ragi colors.  I had to iron that one with heavy steam to get it to lay flat (it wants to curl).  

I think silk would work better than cotton -- the cotton crochet threat I used pilled horribly -- or I'd need to wax the cotton thread (which would preclude ironing; I'd probably need to put the finished ribbon under weight or in a press and let it sit for a while).  I might try to get ahold of some of the silk-finish cotton embroidery thread and see if that works well.

There are, incidentally enough, a lot of tablet weaving patterns that I think could make some pretty spiffy hair ribbons in atevi clan colors (and they would be very fine if executed in silk).  But I am very, very far from being able to do that (at this time).

------------------------
"'Machigi!' Paigiti said.  'The blaspheming gods' own foot-washer.  I heard you were involved."
-- From Divergence (Foreigner series - book 21)
------------------------

7/10/2021 10:33 am  #13

That looks great!

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

7/10/2021 4:18 pm  #14

Thank you kindly!  I like playing with string. ; )

------------------------
"'Machigi!' Paigiti said.  'The blaspheming gods' own foot-washer.  I heard you were involved."
-- From Divergence (Foreigner series - book 21)
------------------------

Board footera

Contact the Guild