Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2021 1:31 pm  #1

Help! - because I’m technologically challenged!

I have no idea how I accomplished this at our last home - which was the last time I had occasion to link an avatar. I don’t use any hosting sites. I followed the suggestion in the “add an avatar” section to use imgbb, where I created an account. But after uploading an image and copying the embedding links available, none of them worked. Then I tried using google photos, and every link is rejected by this site.
I’m at a loss. - any suggestions from more technically skilled folks? Thank you in advance!

One world -- or none

4/03/2021 1:51 pm  #2

Re: Help! - because I’m technologically challenged!

I didn't see a maximum size for avatars on the imgbb site.  I don't recall how large my avatar was when I uploaded it.  Gosh, that was back in the pre-Jump days, I think.  I thought there was a maximum size, because I recall resizing and resizing until I was able to upload it.  I'll look some more.

Edit:  I see where it restricts the size to 128 X 128 pixels.  Do you have a photo editor that will let you do that and set the size by pixil rather than by inches?  I don't know if that's the issue, though.  I know that when I did mine, I saved it to my computer, re-sized it until it was the correct size, and then uploaded it to the site. 
I don't know if my suggestions will help, though.  There might be someone a bit more experienced than I.  I'm using my old avatar from way back.....

Last edited by joekc6nlx (4/03/2021 2:01 pm)

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

4/03/2021 3:27 pm  #3

joekc6nlx wrote:

I didn't see a maximum size for avatars on the imgbb site.  I don't recall how large my avatar was when I uploaded it.  Gosh, that was back in the pre-Jump days, I think.  I thought there was a maximum size, because I recall resizing and resizing until I was able to upload it.  I'll look some more.

Edit:  I see where it restricts the size to 128 X 128 pixels.  Do you have a photo editor that will let you do that and set the size by pixil rather than by inches?  I don't know if that's the issue, though.  I know that when I did mine, I saved it to my computer, re-sized it until it was the correct size, and then uploaded it to the site. 
I don't know if my suggestions will help, though.  There might be someone a bit more experienced than I.  I'm using my old avatar from way back.....

thank you Joe. I can try that, I do have a photo editing program that can do that. But I’m not sure whether that’s the issue because it says if the size exceeds 126x125 it will resize it for you, cautioning that the results may not look good. It’s objection to my avatars seems to be that it wants them to end in .jpg to .png, but mine did so I don’t know... thanks for the feedback!

One world -- or none

4/03/2021 4:34 pm  #4

Your photo editing program should allow you to save them as .jpg or .png, and that might do it.  fingers crossed!

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

4/03/2021 5:44 pm  #5

Well. This sent me off to see about my avater pix. Even got me an ImgBB image tag for it. Seems like this site has registered that suitablely sized image but just won't show it.

4/03/2021 6:44 pm  #6

I recall having trouble with this too.

I thought I had solved it at the time with a compressed link to an image in my public Dropbox folder, but inspecting the code shows an anonymised link via ImgBB to a recognisable  jpg filename, so I now don"t know just what I did to make it work.  The frustrating thing now is that trying to look at and change the setting now won't show me what the current url link is.  Aaarrgh!

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

4/03/2021 8:06 pm  #7

okay, let me see if this works.  I went to my profile, went to see what the code was for the link to imgbb.  Then I went to my account in ImgBB and scrolled the pointer on my avatar picture.  There are several options that open up - the second box is "Embedded code".  I selected the "BB full linked" and then copy the URL, paste it into the space here on your profile where it asks for your avatar's URL.  Now, please note, my avatar is 65 X 65 pixels.  You might still be able to use the "full" setting, or reduce to the "BB medium linked" setting.  Whichever you choose, it'll go in the URL space asking for your avatar's URL. 
I hope this works, I'm pretty sure that's what I had to do.  I verified the setting by "inspecting the element" in my avatar and it gave me the URL that I used.  I just matched what it gave me with the proper "BB Link" (full or medium, in my case it was full linked).

4/05/2021 10:31 am  #8

joekc6nlx wrote:

okay, let me see if this works.  I went to my profile, went to see what the code was for the link to imgbb.  Then I went to my account in ImgBB and scrolled the pointer on my avatar picture.  There are several options that open up - the second box is "Embedded code".  I selected the "BB full linked" and then copy the URL, paste it into the space here on your profile where it asks for your avatar's URL.  Now, please note, my avatar is 65 X 65 pixels.  You might still be able to use the "full" setting, or reduce to the "BB medium linked" setting.  Whichever you choose, it'll go in the URL space asking for your avatar's URL. 
I hope this works, I'm pretty sure that's what I had to do.  I verified the setting by "inspecting the element" in my avatar and it gave me the URL that I used.  I just matched what it gave me with the proper "BB Link" (full or medium, in my case it was full linked).

Thanks all. Joe, you’re description is exactly what I did. Thanks for making the effort. That makes me think you were probably right the first time: maybe allowing this site to resize won’t work. I will go try again with a smaller avatar! Hopefully success will be apparent!

One world -- or none

4/06/2021 7:15 pm  #9

how did it go, Star?

4/22/2021 5:26 pm  #10

Thanks Joe. I think I have it solved for now, thankfully!

One world -- or none

Board footera

Contact the Guild