Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2021 10:04 am  #1

The Hands of the Emperor

By Virginia Goddard.  This was recommended by someone on the Wave Without a Shore site, and one of the Amazon reviewers was reminded of the Foreigner series.

It's set in a world where magic has the function that technology has in ours, some time after a catastrophic failure that wiped out the infrastructure, causing disruption, death, starvation--(I was left thinking "that could happen here").  While society and government are functioning again, it's not the same as it was.

The focus is on character development and their interactions, with knowledge about the setting gradually appearing in the background.  I very much enjoyed the book, although it has almost nothing in common with what I usually read.  

3/05/2021 10:53 am  #2

Re: The Hands of the Emperor

There is a sequel just out - The Return of Fitzroy Angersell. Also the Greenwing and Dart books which start with Stargazey Pie also in the same universe. They are wonderful.
She also has a number of shorter works most of which are in the same universe.

3/06/2021 12:36 pm  #3

I also consider that this is the best book I've read in decades.
One warning. It was a rabbit hole I fell down for hours - missing meals and having a hard time to put it down for sleep! She has the most wonderful characterization - even minor characters, and her use of language is incredible.

3/06/2021 12:43 pm  #4

Just wanted to say, me too!  I'm re-reading it now and then will re-read the sequel.  I hope some others will decide to join in, with Pence's strong recommendation as well.  It's a book to share.

3/06/2021 6:01 pm  #5

Nighthawk - you should read the Greenwing and Dart books too. They intersect.

3/06/2021 8:37 pm  #6

I'm leaving on a two-day train trip on Monday, and the Kindle is stocked up!  Thanks, Pence.

3/07/2021 1:41 pm  #7

If you have Stargazey Pie and Bee Sting Cake, you might want to get Stone Speaks to Stone to read after those two.

3/15/2021 7:36 am  #8

I agree with Pence, on whose recommendation I read these books. I love them. They are purely wonderful. 

Board footera

Contact the Guild