Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2021 6:57 pm  #11

Re: Cherryh's other books and other series.

Another thing about the Morgaine series, especially the last book (which is my favorite): she introduces 2 additional points of view -- Chei the young human they rescue from the wolves, and Qhiveryn-Gault-Chei who takes over Chei's body. Qhiveryn and Chei actually have discussions inside themself????? theirself?????
She manages to make them truly distinct personalities, and different from Vanye, who is the major focus of the story. I find it very intriguing and very satisfying. It is just as mature a use of that POV issue as any between Bren and Cajeiri.

Wild about cats, handmade lace, CJ Cherryh.   politics junkie

3/04/2021 12:22 pm  #12

Kokipy wrote:

I just finished rereading Cuckoo’s Egg and Paladin- both very much stand alone, very complete in themselves, and among my very favorites. Cuckoo has all the exploration of the other that permeates much of her work. Paladin shares with it and with some of the others the weapons training as part of a philosophy of life. But it really is different from the rest, in a good way. 

Paladin is among my very favorites of her work, more so than Cuckoo’s Egg. 
But A/U is my favorite; I’ve barely dabbled in the vast Foreigner world. And among the A/U books - I think I’ve made my opinion clear over the years - Cyteen belongs among the great classics of science fiction. Her greatest achievement IMO.

One world -- or none

3/04/2021 5:57 pm  #13

star - I have enjoyed the Cyteen series, with reservations. The creativity of her ideas in that series is beyond dispute. But I have a problem with manipulative governments that use people. The slave aspect of the azi also troubles me.  You appear to be a hard science kind of guy. I'm more of a social science kind of person. That may account for our differences on which Cherryh books we favor.  I suppose I go for books in which the story and characters act in accordance with my personal ethics, or display the world as I see it, from where I'm standing. Thus I can enjoy Balzac event though many of his characters are indefensible. His world matches up with the darker side of what I see around me.

3/04/2021 7:06 pm  #14

I talked to CJ about the Azi.  I said that I found them very, very creepy.  She looked sideways at me and said "You're supposed to."

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

3/04/2021 8:00 pm  #15

well, yes. That fits in with my idea that she is doing more than writing entertaining stories.

3/04/2021 9:34 pm  #16

HRHSpence wrote:

I talked to CJ about the Azi.  I said that I found them very, very creepy.  She looked sideways at me and said "You're supposed to."

I thought it strange that humans had "regressed" to slavery, even though the azi aren't considered slaves, they are, in fact, manufactured slaves.  Yet, nobody on Cyteen seems to be upset that they are breeding a whole species with an artificial life span of 40 years.  Something about the mindset of Union just doesn't sit well with me.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

3/04/2021 10:19 pm  #17

Joe - yes

3/05/2021 8:24 am  #18

I think the 40 year limit came from Serpent's Reach which, I think, was an illegal or out of Cyteen control society. One of the main plot points of CYTEEN was the age of the Azi Kyle AK-36, who was responsible for the Ari One's murder. And don't forget Ollie, Jane Strassen's Azi.

"You must be mad," said the Cat, "or else you would not have come here."

3/05/2021 8:54 pm  #19

I agree with the smarter cat- I think the 40yr limit is from significantly later in the A/U timeline (per Serpent's Reach and, iirc, Port Eternity (but I would need to check that one))..

Recall that at the time around the action in Cyteen, Union itself is in a fairly aggressive growth phase for territory and natural resources.  Artificially crippling and limiting the usefulness of your cheap workforce wouldn't make sense to me in those circumstances.  Ollie is just one example of many older and experienced azi that appear in that book.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

Board footera

Contact the Guild