Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2021 8:56 pm  #1

Hapless outrage

My computer suffered an hard-drive failure--and took *everything* with it. Totally unrecoverable--since I can't afford a service recovery. All the Artwork that was here over the years: gone!! My entire personnel website artwork: gone!!! My collected files of interest: gone!
And the fool iron idiot did it *twice*!
Just got the thing back from the second time and I'm registering my protest over the event. Firmly.
And Windows isn't helping very much.

3/02/2021 7:23 am  #2

Re: Hapless outrage

So sorry, Griffin-ji.  I had a catastrophic hard drive failure on my laptop that I used quite extensively not only for day-to-day stuff, but also for weather spotting, etc.  I bought a new hard drive, but I can't find my old Windows 7 CD to reload the OS.  All that's gone, but it's a pittance compared to what you've lost.  I hope there's a way you can get them back.  Maybe we can get up a GoFundMe or something like that for you? 

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

3/02/2021 9:03 am  #3

One will check the status of backups todays.  

very sorry this happened to you 

3/02/2021 12:14 pm  #4

Day 2 of reassembling the Iron Idiot.
Got the ad blockers on and functioning. Taken care of most of the stupid ads. (I *hate* ads).
On thinking about the lost data (please pardon the Wail of Despair/Scream of Outrage): most of the Artwork Project can be reloaded from discs. Anything missing I'll just have to live without. Not like the Project was going anywhere financially in any case. All the artwork from the assorted Shejidani sites is gone, unless somebody dragged it over from one of the other permutations (bye-bye mechiti). Google Photos had  the pics of the Niece's wedding--including the shots of my dad dancing with her. That set was very important to me, so finding them there is a relief. No recovering all the quilt pics I had. The entire folder of Oddities can be re-collected as I rediscover the items that went into the original. Tedious but not vital stuff.

As for starting a GoFundMe, thank you for the thought but I will decline. That's just too much money (starts at $500 just to get it into the service shop. If it proves truly messy, it can run up to $2000 or more per sk8er nandi's experience over her photos).

Last edited by Griffinmoon (3/08/2021 10:13 pm)

3/02/2021 12:30 pm  #5

How badly damaged is the hard drive? If it can't spin up, then you're definitely out of luck. If it does spin up, a good independent computer repair shop worth their salt should be able to see if data is still recoverable and able to be transferred to a new drive. Often, it gets to the point that Windows can't run the operating system, but pictures and documents can still be recovered if it's plugged into a different computer or a different operating system is run from a portable USB drive plugged into the same computer.

General advice for everyone: If you notice your computer is running slower these days, have it checked up! A slowing computer often means that the hard drive is failing. If you hear clicking sounds coming from the drive, the end is near....

Last edited by Roci (3/02/2021 12:34 pm)

3/02/2021 1:58 pm  #6

a backup service is very helpful in times like this.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

3/02/2021 2:51 pm  #7

As I recall, CJC and Jane used Carbonite for their backup service....their basic service is currently on sale at $75.95 (approx) per year.....  http://www.carbonite.com

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

3/02/2021 3:44 pm  #8

I'll be getting a book external hard drive for the Idiot, when the thing decides it's going to stay functional.

In installing my drawing tablet stuff, I plugged in the portable thumb drive that I use to transport files between me and my Printer Man, just to see what was on it--And The Entire Website Artwork Project plus is one it!!! *Major Happy Dancing Going On Here*
And I'm not moving it till I get that external drive. Not going through this again.

Roci nadi:
The service geeks told me they tried a number of ways to recover files from that old drive: toast, from their pov. If anything could be salvaged, it'd take the manufacuter's service to do it. That's not an expence I can afford--ever. Based on their obsevations: nothing to be recovered intact.

Last edited by Griffinmoon (3/08/2021 10:14 pm)

3/02/2021 4:54 pm  #9

Whew, gods less fortunate!  I take it that the pictures of the quilts, of your niece's wedding, etc., are still MIA, or were they on the thumb drive?

3/02/2021 7:41 pm  #10

Quilts: Victorian Crazy quilts (eridani nadi or ready nadi has one, Kipy nadi has one), my niece's wedding quilt and a few others were in those files. I'd taken pictures of them and had my Printer Man park them on his computers. Then when *his* hard drive that had all my stuff got rained on and he recovered as much as he could, I made sure I got all of those files onto my thumb drive--and promptly forgot all about them. I was feeling bummed about one of the Victorian ones because I'd gone all out on some of the embroidery on it  (lots of Japanese images).

Last edited by Griffinmoon (3/08/2021 10:15 pm)

Board footera

Contact the Guild