Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2021 8:41 am  #1

Winter Wonderland?

We were under a winter storm warning from 1:00 AM Feb 15 - 1:00 PM Feb 16.  They predicted 4 - 6 inches (10 - 15 cm) of snow, but it was also windy, and the snow tended to drift.  Fortunately, it was a light, puffy snow (remember Ivory Snow laundry soap?), and the drifts were more like 8 - 10" (20 - 25 cm) deep.  The snow blower took care of most of it, and I went along the block and got the neighbors' driveways where I could, as long as their cars weren't blocking the drive.  At least, they can get their cars out of the driveway, although GETTING to their cars is going to be problematic with the snow drifted against their car doors.  I cleared off 3 driveways, and a neighbor came out and helped me do the 4th driveway.  I still have two more to do after I get warmed up and have breakfast.  I started at 6:30 this morning, finished up about 7:45. 
The wonderful news about all this is that starting tomorrow, they're expecting another 6 - 10 inches (15 - 25 cm) of snow.  My sidewalk that parallels the street is covered with at least 15 inches of snow, and it's all sitting on top of a layer of ice.  There's no way I can get that with the snow blower, and I'm not going out with a shovel and try.  My elbow just won't let me do that for very long.  If the city wants to complain that my sidewalk hasn't been cleared, they can come out and do it themselves, especially if it's the mayor, he can shovel my walk if he's so concerned about it.  Unfortunately, if the city does it, they will charge me for it, and they won't care if they tear up the grass on either side of the walk. 
It's times like this that I ask myself, why did I leave the tropics?  Four years on Guam and it never snowed, although we had our share of earthquakes and typhoons.  No place is paradise.  Even the people on Bali have those big volcanoes looming in the background.  Life on Earth is dangerous, yes?

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

2/16/2021 11:25 am  #2

Re: Winter Wonderland?

Here on Cape Cod last weeks storm was misery ...  a mess of heavy snow with a midnight period of rain that promptly froze. I should have been out at before I went to bed with the roof rake. As it was I got up to ice dams. Unlike the inland areas this storm was just rain. Took care of the ice on the roof. Inland I gather it is a mess.
Sending wishes for continuing electricity service to all salads under the storm.

2/16/2021 2:15 pm  #3

We had near hurricane-force winds whip through the Las Vegas valley and a 30-degree drop in temperatures, but no snow.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

2/16/2021 3:35 pm  #4

Western NY got rain/freezing rain/sleet mix--and not much of that.
Now, last night and today: yeah, it's winter finally. Plow Guy is earning his money and doing right by the downstairs neighbor (who's paying his bill). I was out getting the car area (something he can't get at very easily) and he came by a second time, saw where I was clearing it back further and set about getting that side of the driveway closer to the stakes. I still spent a bit more than 1.5 hr shoveling. Had this nice little skim of frozen ice from the freezing rain of last night to make it nice and heavy. Got my exercise for the day.
Assorted forecasters say there's a line up of 5 storm to wade through this week. We shall see.

Last edited by Griffinmoon (2/16/2021 3:36 pm)

2/17/2021 12:32 pm  #5

One suggestion for my associates who are coping with icy driveways and paths - a few years ago when I had leftover asphalt shingles from redoing my roof - it dawned on me that they were perfect to keep handy for ice patches. The rough surface is perfect and if the car is in trouble the shingle butted up against the front wheels is  perfect traction. When I ran out  I bought a few shingles from a broken package at a building supply store.
Be warned if you have a few tucked in the car trunk for emergencies have a cover on them. Putting a paper grocery bag on top is not a good idea!

2/17/2021 3:19 pm  #6

Yesterday, my friend was helping his neighbor get his pickup truck out of the snow, and they used a piece of plywood under the drive wheels for some traction.  He thought he was clear, but when the guy gunned the engine, the plywood shot back and hit my friend's right leg below the knee.  It broke both bones.  He's scheduled for surgery in about an hour and fifteen minutes.  I went up to see him at the hospital, it's about 35 miles away.  He's in good spirits, but unfortunately, he's going to be off work for a couple of weeks before he's allowed to do even office work.  He's a field surveyor, and happens to be the lead surveyor for the company's branch here in town.  He's also got something like 40 cats to care for, but his sister is taking care of feeding them.  I volunteered to do litterbox duty. 

Last edited by joekc6nlx (2/17/2021 3:20 pm)

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

2/17/2021 3:30 pm  #7

(I didn't see the post above when I hit post- & am wincing about the juxtoposition of the last paragraph & my first paragraph below,  so am editting in an apology for the wierdness & a hope for his good recovery.)

Kitty litter is the classic emergency traction stunt where I am (Canadian prairies)
Another thing, if you drive a truck: Place sandbags in the box, one over each tire at least. It'll reduce your gas mileage, true, but the weight improves traction. (Only works on all-wheel or back-wheel drive, but I can't think of a truck that has front-wheel drive.) & if it's a coarse sand it can be used for traction sprinkle as well.

(Winter wise I'm in a deepfreeze, looking forward to a promise of -9C on Friday.)

Last edited by Blond Tekikin (2/17/2021 3:33 pm)

2/17/2021 10:23 pm  #8

*Owch!!* for joe nadi's friend. Most unfortunate. Hope all turns out well there.
The shingle idea sounds like a good one: keep enough to string along each other and one would have a traction path to climb out on. Western NY gets plowed to death in relatively short order. Seven feet in 4 hrs tends to slow us down a bit, but sensible people (and there are a few) stay off the bleeding roads when that happens. Kitty litter (even used bot sifted and dried it's good) is nice but not for really deep snow/slop.

2/18/2021 7:36 am  #9

It seems that the kitty litter I use for my cats gets very, very slick, being clay, and so traction gets worse.  I used to use it when I'd get stuck in my driveway at the farm, but don't any more since I moved into town.  I like Pence-nadi's suggestion, but don't have a spot where I feel comfortable storing asphalt shingles.  I suppose in the spare tire well under the cover, but I don't know if it would cause a problem with staining the cover.
More snow when I woke up this morning, and I had planned a trip to the Columbus area, roughly 80 miles, and the recommended route (Google maps) is on a two-lane state highway for the first 28 miles, then it becomes 4-lane divided highway (US Rte 33) until I get to the northwestern portion of the Columbus Metropolitan area.  Even with an all-wheel drive vehicle, I don't intend to push too hard.  The place doesn't open up until 11:00 AM, and there's no point in driving over and then sitting and waiting in the car until they do open up, unless I'm looking for a parking place really close to the store.  It's a busy artery that would take me down to "THE" Ohio State University, but that's an area I usually avoid, and if I needed to go there, I'd take a different route.  The things we do for wine....well, winemaking kits, in this case.

2/18/2021 10:38 am  #10

I've never had any problem with staining with my shingles when they have been in the trunk of the car. Just have some sort of cover as the surface is really rough. It will take out the bottom of a paper grocery bag very quickly  - as I found out the hard way.

Board footera

Contact the Guild