Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/18/2020 12:59 pm  #1

The Expanse

I don't know about you, but every time I watch the Expanse, I get the feeling that the writers have been reading Heavytime, by our very own CJ Cherryh.  I keep expecting the Belters to start saying "Jeune Fils!" 

How about you, what do you think of The Expanse?

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

12/18/2020 5:49 pm  #2

Re: The Expanse

I’m behind on the books, bit love the tv series. Saving the new season for holiday viewing, even tho it’s part of the books I liked the least.

12/18/2020 6:58 pm  #3

I want to like it more than I do. I find it a little slow, but I totally get the Heavytime reference. I have gotten through about 6 episodes. I read online something to the effect of “if you are not drawn in after a few episodes, maybe it’s not for you.” I think, regrettably, that may be me. 😞

One world -- or none

12/18/2020 8:42 pm  #4

This season is a little slow. But I really like the realism of the production and the writing.  The language {and culture} of the belters is linguistically very intriguing for me.  I like how the old terra-centric allegiance is not carried out with the colonies, but replaced by local views. I like how some characters are very jingoistic and others are more altruistic.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

12/19/2020 1:38 pm  #5

starexplorer wrote:

I want to like it more than I do. I find it a little slow, but I totally get the Heavytime reference. I have gotten through about 6 episodes. I read online something to the effect of “if you are not drawn in after a few episodes, maybe it’s not for you.” I think, regrettably, that may be me. 😞

If you're willing, grind out the rest of the first season. The first five episodes are slow, but they lay out the world and basically explains how the main characters get from being on an ice-hauling ship to being able to go on the big adventure. It snowballs from there.

I've read every page of the books so far, but it's been a while since I read the book this season covers. It's better this way, easier to avoid comparing the exact details of the book to the series. Tastefully covering Amos' past in Baltimore after how explicitly it was described in the book was a challenge, but I'd say they did a good job. I'm about to start the third episode of this season, but even knowing how it plays out, I'm still on the edge of my seat.

Last edited by Roci (12/19/2020 1:40 pm)

12/19/2020 6:15 pm  #6

I'm working my way slowly through Season 4 at the moment as time allows.  Thoroughly enjoying it, but will likely wait until all of S5 is available before heading into that one.

And yes - definitely see the Heavy Time resonances and similarities.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

12/22/2020 1:58 am  #7

Ok, I’ll take it under advisement. Thanks!

Roci wrote:

starexplorer wrote:

If you're willing, grind out the rest of the first season. The first five episodes are slow, but they lay out the world and basically explains how the main characters get from being on an ice-hauling ship to being able to go on the big adventure. It snowballs from there.

I've read every page of the books so far, but it's been a while since I read the book this season covers. It's better this way, easier to avoid comparing the exact details of the book to the series. Tastefully covering Amos' past in Baltimore after how explicitly it was described in the book was a challenge, but I'd say they did a good job. I'm about to start the third episode of this season, but even knowing how it plays out, I'm still on the edge of my seat.

One world -- or none

Board footera

Contact the Guild