Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/01/2020 6:06 am  #1

A Deadly Education, by Naomi Novik

Just finished this- the first in a trilogy. I really enjoyed it. A tiny heavy handed in the world building, and just a touch YA,  but it is an engrossing take on wizardry schools a bit different from Hogwarts, to be sure. I am sorry to have to wait who knows how long for the next volume. 

10/07/2020 1:54 am  #2

Re: A Deadly Education, by Naomi Novik

Trilogies. What a world, what a world!

One world -- or none

12/07/2020 1:25 pm  #3

I know, I know, Star. My child refuses to watch tv series or read books with sequels until the entire work, or at least the season, is completed. Hence, we have to wait to watch this season of The Mandalorian until it’s done.
she has more discipline than I.

12/07/2020 2:41 pm  #4

I've been thinking about getting that one. I enjoyed Uprooted a lot.

1/02/2021 9:29 am  #5

Recently finished it. A lot  darker than Hogwarts but still enjoyable. I liked the take that the heroine is desperately trying to avoid the destiny of becoming the next Jadis in order not to upset her delightfully daffy new-age mother.and to ovoid being murdered by her classmates. looking forward to the sequels

1/02/2021 11:55 am  #6

It's in the kindle queue. 

1/11/2021 8:45 pm  #7

Yes, Mule- I liked those elements a lot. 
I enjoy the way Novik doesn’t always write the same book. After the dragon/ navy books she has done several stand alone works that are all completely different from each other with very different types of protagonists. 

1/11/2021 9:24 pm  #8

Hmmn.  Given the sate of my kindle TBR queue at the moment, I really don't need any more unread titles there but if Novik has become more versatile after the first dragon books, I could perhaps be persuaded to try her again..
In the meantime, I'm easing into 2021 reading with some lightweight crime and thriller while I contemplate the TBR Pile - maybe finish the Gareth Powell or Joe Abercrombiess I haven't got to yet.  No actual yearly reading plan constructed yet - is there a Babbler list to investigate, or not yet?  I suspect it would be difficulty in these trying times to find an acceptable theme.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

Board footera

Contact the Guild