Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2020 8:28 pm  #11

Re: Latest Kim Stanley Robinson

My problem with The Queens Gambit is that I didn’t really like Beth much. It seemed to me that she was an interesting person and well realized but not particularly likable.I rooted for her without wanting to go grab a beer with her, if you see what I mean. But I know you really enjoyed the series, Star, so I will see if I can get the family to watch over the Xmas break. 
Last weekend all four of us watched Apollo 13 and the next night The Right Stuff. Those were actually highly diverting if not quite soothing. Spouse and I had seen them both many years before and the elder child had seen Apollo 13 but neither of the girls had seen the Right Stuff. That was all a lot of fun. And the Apollo 13 credits featured my cousin as the flight surgeon for the actors- he helped take care of them when they were doing the weightless stuff in the parabolic plane. So that is always very gratifying to see. 

12/04/2020 11:54 am  #12

Very cool! 

One world -- or none

12/04/2020 2:13 pm  #13

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

12/04/2020 5:14 pm  #14

Continuing the theme of feel good movies, SWMBO and I re-watched Local Hero  last night for the first time in many years and it has held up beautifully over time - the Scottish scenery, Mark Knopfler's music, a very young Peter Capaldi etc.  Worth a look.

As is Whiskey Galore.  Both versions are good - the 1940s/50s original, and the much more recent remake with Eddie Izzard.  Again, the Scottish scenery, a very good ensemble cast, and a stunning soundtrack makes for a good family movie night.

I might have to go chase down some more Bill Forsyth movies - Gregory's Girl, Comfort & Joy, and Gregory's Two Girls now spring to mind.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

12/05/2020 1:41 pm  #15

Back to Ministry: in a funny way it reminds me of the Mars trilogy. The story starts from a very barren place, and gradually, very gradually, things start to turn around. It’s the same kind of story, since he is fundamentally and eternally an optimist. I would say definitely worth reading.

12/05/2020 2:20 pm  #16

I've started The Queen's Gambit.  Hard to put down.  (Reading it, not watching.)

12/06/2020 7:45 am  #17

Watched Mank last night. Excellent with some Oscar worthy acting.

"You must be mad," said the Cat, "or else you would not have come here."

12/07/2020 8:27 pm  #18

Kokipy wrote:

Back to Ministry: in a funny way it reminds me of the Mars trilogy. The story starts from a very barren place, and gradually, very gradually, things start to turn around. It’s the same kind of story, since he is fundamentally and eternally an optimist. I would say definitely worth reading.

This is excellent news, and I am more excited to start it now. On last chapter of current book.

One world -- or none

12/07/2020 8:28 pm  #19

Felicitous Sk8er wrote:

I've started The Queen's Gambit.  Hard to put down.  (Reading it, not watching.)

And having watched and reread, I have to say that in this case the show offers A LOT of goodness that isn’t in the book, even though I really liked the book. If you like the book, you WILL like the show!

One world -- or none

9/26/2021 4:15 pm  #20

I never got back to say that I agree that Ministry is worth reading. But not because I regard it as an especially worthy piece of fiction. He's just so damn thorough in his imagining of future climate change mitigation efforts, that it seems like it ought to be something that everyone reads in order not to be so demoralized. It's a tonic for the paralyzed. Incidentally, the book has not gone unnoticed by the larger climate community. I've heard it recommended by people who have never read an SF book in their lives, but are driven by the climate crisis.
You are right K - he is very much the eternal optimist. At least as regards the Earth. Contrast this with Aurora, his argument against the dream of interstellar migration. There too, and in other works, his answer is "Here on Earth". Or at least, "Within Our Solar System".

One world -- or none

Board footera

Contact the Guild