Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/20/2020 4:57 pm  #1

Latest Kim Stanley Robinson

My copy just arrived: The Ministry for the Future. Near future climate change, a topic he knows well as demonstrated in the Science in the Capital trilogy. But we are now 15 years or so later, so I will be very interested in his ideas.

One world -- or none

11/20/2020 9:27 pm  #2

Re: Latest Kim Stanley Robinson

I've been hearing / reading mixed reactions to this one, but it does seem to have an impact already in ways and places I wasn't expecting, so I think I'll be tackling it sooner rather than later.

:invert

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

11/21/2020 1:30 am  #3

I’ll be starting it soon, so will comment. Have to finish The Splendid and the Vile first. Just finished rereading The Queen’s Gambit which I first read decades ago, but had to devour again after loving the Netflix version.

One world -- or none

11/22/2020 9:15 pm  #4

Ok. Just grabbed the KSR and The Queens Gambit for the kindle.  Have been hearing nothing but praise for the latter title., in its Netflix incarnation, and the only physical Tevis book I have in the Deep Stacks is Mockingbird.

11/23/2020 12:56 pm  #5

Please do report back!

One world -- or none

11/25/2020 5:03 pm  #6

KSR doesn't tend to be my cup of tea.  I dutifully read New York 2140 for the 2018 Hugos and made it past the Gary Stu hero, his manic pixie dream girl, the two kids who might as well have been named Frick and Frack, and the huge info dumps.  I'm not sad I read it, but I will never be tempted to re-read it.

11/25/2020 8:31 pm  #7

I am about 1/4 into Ministry of the Future. So far I find much to like, but it is so horribly deeply and profoundly depressing, and of course horribly frightening, as of yet. I am looking forward to his apparently deeply in red optimism to leech into this book as it has in all of the others of his I have read. 
it is interesting that the Climate Trilogy had its action triggered by extreme cold, and this one is the opposite. Probably even more realistic. 

11/25/2020 8:47 pm  #8

I haven't started Ministry yet - I'm still going on Sarfraz Manzoor's memoir(?) Greetings from Bury Park .

If you're looking for another climate change influenced SF novel that I can thoroughly recommend, try Paul McAuley's Austral .

11/30/2020 9:13 pm  #9

I am not wild about this one so far, as a piece of fiction. KSR is righteously, curiously angry about people’s failure to acknowledge and address climate change. The book has occasional fictional episodes interspersed with huge info dumps about every aspect of everything that affects climate change. It is fascinating and terrifying and educational but it is not a traditionally told work of fiction. I will be interested to hear what you all think about it. 
part of my problem is that I yearn for something soothing these days. And this is not that. 

12/01/2020 1:55 am  #10

Something soothing....well we watched Casablanca for the 157th time and cried all the way through it. And I know you read The Queen’s Gambit but didn’t watch it on Netflix. Very diverting. The Netflix version is better in many ways.

One world -- or none

Board footera

Contact the Guild