Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/11/2020 3:07 pm  #11

Re: CJ news, all good now

scenario_dave wrote:

Bottom line, do the tests. I've found that the hardest part is the prep. It's much, much easier if you can have a day off of work for the prep and another day off for the actual procedure. But with companies I've worked for you're likely to get fired if you try to take two days off for something like that. 

Yes, we'll give you a choice, die of cancer or get fired.....some choice with those companies.  You'd think they'd realize that the time lost in PREVENTION is actually a lot better than time lost because one of your employees became critically ill or worse.....JMHO.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

10/11/2020 7:24 pm  #12

joekc6nlx wrote:

scenario_dave wrote:

Bottom line, do the tests. I've found that the hardest part is the prep. It's much, much easier if you can have a day off of work for the prep and another day off for the actual procedure. But with companies I've worked for you're likely to get fired if you try to take two days off for something like that. 

Yes, we'll give you a choice, die of cancer or get fired.....some choice with those companies.  You'd think they'd realize that the time lost in PREVENTION is actually a lot better than time lost because one of your employees became critically ill or worse.....JMHO.

The only good thing about cancer with companies like that is that cancer is a magic word. One person who worked with me had a serious infection and was in intensive care and the company called his wife every day to find out when he was coming back to work, right up until the day he died. 

But when the doctors said that I had cancer, they never bothered to call me until a year later when they sent a letter telling me that they only had to hold my job for a year and were letting me go. I was welcome to reapply if I wanted to when I got better. 

10/11/2020 10:10 pm  #13

Well. I'm glad to know CJ is coming through the experience. and Griffy. And Dave. I won't say what I think about corporations.

Wild about cats, handmade lace, CJ Cherryh.   politics junkie

10/12/2020 8:52 am  #14

This is alarming to hear but I'm glad she's been treated.

10/12/2020 8:54 am  #15

Just thinking back on it I've been a fan for literally decades, although I've never met her, it feels almost like she's family, I've lived in her worlds in my head for so long.

10/12/2020 1:02 pm  #16

E-I-ji, you would really like her.  She and Jane make a real good couple.  Jane's got a sense of humor you have to see.  This picture of Jane is 10 years old, taken at The Steam Plant in Spokane for ShejiCon III.

Last edited by joekc6nlx (10/12/2020 1:04 pm)

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

11/02/2020 1:36 pm  #17

Lordy, was that really 10 years ago?  

Board footera

Contact the Guild