Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2020 4:36 pm  #31

Re: Λα Διϝεργενζα (Divergence spoilers)

I've been aware of that discontinuity myself. I agree the current version of which parent got killed makes more sense and gives better possibilities to the story line.

Wild about cats, handmade lace, CJ Cherryh.   politics junkie

9/22/2020 6:27 pm  #32

Retconning is easy in this context for things like that, Bren's younger self just doesn't have a full understanding of what is going on.

9/22/2020 6:30 pm  #33

BTW aside from the defective vowel harmony, "Koperna" sounds like a place in Scandinavia.

9/24/2020 5:34 pm  #34

Aja Jin said: "She continues to put him in greater positions of influence and independence"...  I have looked closely at the speeches Bren gives to the various participants in the last 2 books. Tabini told him in #20 that Bren represents him, Tabini, in this venture. All of Bren's encounters with Nomari and Bregani show Bren using his empathy to figure out what these persons are afraid of, and he sets those fears to rest (if they believe him). Bren also uses the various speeches to set the stage, to give a sort of "state of the union" address which places the current negotiation in its worldwide context. That the issue is stability in the aishidi'tat and how Bregani and Nomari can have a solid place in that larger world. So he really is speaking for Tabini, although he describes himself as "in service to the dowager in this venture". I think if Cajeiri could hear what Bren says to Nomari he would be pleased and reassured.

9/30/2020 7:31 pm  #35

I just read DIVERGENCE for the 2nd time. As always I saw things I entirely missed the first time through. 

I noticed a kind of echo between Cajeiri organizing his small household, with almost no advice or direction from adults. His parents' reaction at the end suggests that this was a test they set him. "here, try this out, solve this puzzle." Even Cajeiri thinks it was a learning experience deliberately set by his parents.

But the echo is Bren set into Ilisidi's entourage with very little instruction. "You are there for me". " Tabini ordered me to keep you safe".  Ilisidi gives him orders to meet with Namari, introduce Bregani and the others, talk about his mission on Mospheira, explain about Toby's boat. etc.  She and Cenedi set Banichi in charge of security for the government center, with Bren necessarily tagging along. And this apparently sets Bren in charge of the government.   

Some places where his peaceful and pragmatic, useful orientation work well - he wants Nomari to pursue his search for Husai, when others might have blocked that. He tells Paigiti what is acceptable and what not, agreeing to the amnesty, where others might not have done. The result is Nomari succeeds, and Paigiti accepts the amnesty idea and cooperates with it. Even if Paigiti returns to his criminal acitivies, it still has planted an idea in his mind. He sees the despised human acting  perfectly reasonable. This might bring about a change in Marid attitudes to humans (which seems to be the chief complaint of the shadow guild). They put Bren on display on purpose, with a long range plan.

I find myself wondering whether she meant these 2 things to be an echo. Did she intend to draw a parallel? Is she saying that Tabini and Ilisidi are preparing Bren for some major expansion of his role and area of responsibility? Just as Careiri's parents are preparing him?

Of course another aspect to this book is the revelation of how far ahead Tabini is thinking beyond the immediate event. So is Ilisidi.    I LOVE IT, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT.

Board footera

Contact the Guild