Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/04/2026 6:44 pm  #701


Re: What have you been reading lately?

I’m about 200 pages in. There are two storylines, the Maur sections, and the Allardyce (on gray paper). Getting some ideas about how they might go together, but it’s mostly tone and scene setting so far. It comes across as emotionally flat, almost like reading a report. Pushing along, only 1,000 pages to go.  

 

10/05/2026 6:06 am  #702


Re: What have you been reading lately?

Star, I like about half of the Mieville I have read. I liked The City and the City, and I liked the first one whose name I can’t recall, but not the other two I read. This one is getting more engaging, about a quarter of the way in. I think some intelligent editing would have helped the first Maur section, which dragged a lot for me. Also, both the style and the content seem unnecessarily opaque. But that’s me being lazy I think. It’s more horro than sci fi, I would say.

 

10/05/2026 12:50 pm  #703


Re: What have you been reading lately?

I will say that the extremely deliberate obscure style  of the story telling supports the quite obscure subject matter,, but it can be quite irritating . In particular, I object to the short passages between the Maur and the Steve parts, which seem to have no connection to the rest of the text and certainly no apparent stand-alone meaning. GRRR  I am afraid that an immediate reread will be indicated but I doubt I’ll have the patience. 
But I am persisting, without a lot of resistence at this point. I do want to know what happens to both of the protagonists, and there is plenty of action at this point. And Mieville is skillful. 

 

10/05/2026 1:04 pm  #704


Re: What have you been reading lately?

Kokipy wrote:

Star, I like about half of the Mieville I have read. I liked The City and the City, and I liked the first one whose name I can’t recall, but not the other two I read. This one is getting more engaging, about a quarter of the way in. I think some intelligent editing would have helped the first Maur section, which dragged a lot for me. Also, both the style and the content seem unnecessarily opaque. But that’s me being lazy I think. It’s more horro than sci fi, I would say.

maybe they required more patience than I was able to give


One world -- or none
 

10/05/2026 5:01 pm  #705


Re: What have you been reading lately?

Another thing: the language is rich, full of metaphor and imagery, but it is all about ugliness, so far as I have noticed. His Britain holds no charm for him, nor do any of the places Allardyce travels to. It’s a dark book. 

 

10/05/2026 7:47 pm  #706


Re: What have you been reading lately?

Kokipy wrote:

Another thing: the language is rich, full of metaphor and imagery, but it is all about ugliness, so far as I have noticed. His Britain holds no charm for him, nor do any of the places Allardyce travels to. It’s a dark book. 

thats what turned me away from Joe Abercrombie 


One world -- or none
 

10/05/2026 8:06 pm  #707


Re: What have you been reading lately?

I have been wondering how much of Maur's tale may have been semi-autobiographical given the similarities with Mieville's age and childhood circumstances - born at the same time as Ewan in the book and also raised in a single parent family situation in London.

Still, onward!  Another 1000 or so pages to go.


 


It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.
     •Thread Starter
 

Yesterday 5:50 am  #708


Re: What have you been reading lately?

It gets better after the first Maur segment, Surtac. I found that part somewhat tedious. 

 

Board footera


Contact the Guild