Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2026 6:48 pm  #691


Re: What have you been reading lately?

Kokipy wrote:

I just saw there is a new China Mieville- The Rouse I think it’s called? Sounds good…..

Yes.  I have this one pre-ordered and am very much looking forward to it.
 


It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.
 

9/21/2026 9:07 am  #692


Re: What have you been reading lately?

Surtac wrote:

Kokipy wrote:

I just saw there is a new China Mieville- The Rouse I think it’s called? Sounds good…..

Yes.  I have this one pre-ordered and am very much looking forward to it.
 

I reserved a copy at the library. Hopeful it will be good. The last one, The Book of Elsewhere, wasn't up to his standard IMO. 
 

 

9/21/2026 4:42 pm  #693


Re: What have you been reading lately?

Aja Jin wrote:

I reserved a copy at the library. Hopeful it will be good. The last one, The Book of Elsewhere, wasn't up to his standard IMO. 
 

Tend to agree.  I enjoyed the premise and the story overall, but I couldn't figure out how much of it was his, and how much his collaborators work.  Some of the flashes of language were clearly his.
 


It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.
     •Thread Starter
 

9/22/2026 4:13 pm  #694


Re: What have you been reading lately?

Reading Ballard's Kingdom Come at the moment, it's hard not to see it as a precursor to the resurgence of folk horror as a sub-genre that I'm seeing in British fiction right now.


It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.
     •Thread Starter
 

Yesterday 3:02 pm  #695


Re: What have you been reading lately?

I think I have become a lazy reader. I am not loving The Rouse. It is too much work for me, right now, what with one thing and another. What’s it all about, concerned readers would wish to know. He has always been challenging but this takes it to a new level, for me. I eagerly await the input of all of you. 

 

Yesterday 3:47 pm  #696


Re: What have you been reading lately?

Kokipy wrote:

I think I have become a lazy reader. I am not loving The Rouse. It is too much work for me, right now, what with one thing and another. What’s it all about, concerned readers would wish to know. He has always been challenging but this takes it to a new level, for me. I eagerly await the input of all of you. 

 
Not so sure. Or maybe it’s both of us? This is the way I have always felt about him, I have never liked his books.


One world -- or none
 

Yesterday 5:33 pm  #697


Re: What have you been reading lately?

An email missive from the Beast of Bezos informs me that my copy of The Rouse should arrive tomorrow.  Given its length I'm planning to try to get started on it almost immediately.

I would agree that Mieville's work is often challenging to tackle, but, in my experience, it has on balance been time spent worthwhile and rewarding more often than not.  I still remember my first encounter with his work, when I realised that the first 200 pages of Perdido Street Station that had had me so absorbed were essentially all world-building before the actual story got underway.

Do you want progress reports?
 


It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.
     •Thread Starter
 

Yesterday 7:09 pm  #698


Re: What have you been reading lately?

Surtac wrote:

Do you want progress reports?
 

Certainly. And a summation upon completion!


One world -- or none
 

Board footera


Contact the Guild