Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2020 3:43 pm  #1

The Murderbot Diaries series

Martha Wells just published the first novel length book in this series and it is highly enjoyable. Very funny and action packed. The characterizations are wonderful. It's about a security bot that hacks its controller and tries to make its way without drawing attention to itself and limit interactions with humans as much as possible. That doesn't work out very well, though, as it constantly gets pulled into one adventure after another.

The first four are novellas and are overpriced, but surprisingly turned out to be worth the money.
All Systems Red is the first and won the recent Hugo for the novella category.
Artificial Condition
Rogue Protocol
Exit Strategy
Network Effect is the novel.
https://www.marthawells.com/murderbot.htm

“The criminal is a creative artist; detectives are just critics.”
― Hannu Rajaniemi, The Quantum Thief
Joined Sep 2, 2009

5/16/2020 4:15 pm  #2

Re: The Murderbot Diaries series

Murderbot is great, although the shorter works are a bit uneven. The novel is really well done. The snarky stream-of-consciousness is perfectly done.   

All Systems Red (the first one) is currently $1.99 for kindle, a must-buy IMO.

Subterranean Press is doing limited edtions --- I suspect one volume with the first 4, and one for the novel, altho he may do them all individually. 

Last edited by Aja Jin (5/16/2020 4:26 pm)

8/13/2020 3:54 pm  #3

I love Murderbot (both the series and the character) so much, and Wells is long overdue for some recognition.  I also enjoyed the Books of the Raksura.

8/14/2020 8:29 pm  #4

I read the first one and thoroughly enjoyed it but haven't got to the others yet.

And I too fondly recall the Raksura books - I think Mule set the first one as a Babbler some years ago, iirc.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

8/20/2020 10:01 am  #5

I am enjoying these!

8/23/2020 5:08 am  #6

I am in the middle of Network Effect and it just dawned on me that there are some kind of amusing CJC echoes, with Murderbot in the role of Bren trying to figure out a whole bunch of submerged and competing manchi-like loyalties, his among them

4/09/2021 10:09 pm  #7

I recently reread the whole Murderbot series in preparation for the new novella coming out this month (Murderbot solves a murder!) and when I got to Network Effect I had to laugh, because two of the characters are named Tano and Farai.

It might be a coincidence or it might be that Wells-nandi has been reading Foreigner! One never knows.

(Surely Murderbot would enjoy machimi plays, don't you think?)

4/10/2021 6:32 am  #8

Asicho wrote:

I recently reread the whole Murderbot series in preparation for the new novella coming out this month (Murderbot solves a murder!) and when I got to Network Effect I had to laugh, because two of the characters are named Tano and Farai.

It might be a coincidence or it might be that Wells-nandi has been reading Foreigner! One never knows.

(Surely Murderbot would enjoy machimi plays, don't you think?)

Oh yes, Murderbot would definitely love Machimi. 

4/16/2021 3:29 am  #9

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

4/17/2021 10:27 am  #10

Saw a copy of the Subterranean Press Murderbot Diaries (the novellas and one short story) plus the not-yet-shipped Network Effect (both are limited editions of 400 copies) for sale.

Asking price is $1,200. The original prices were $150 + $ 175.

Board footera

Contact the Guild