Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2024 6:16 pm  #11

Re: The 2024 Hugo Awards

starexplorer wrote:

I am 40 pages into Hopeland. I know it’s good. I just don’t know if it’s what I want right now.

I fully understand that.  It happens often enough to me too - I think its why my TBR pile is the size it is.

Hopeland is a book I've wanted to discuss for quite a while now.  It's rare for a book to grab me around the throat so comprehensively as I start it. But it's unprecedented for one to inspire me to build a two hour musical accompaniment playlist on Spotify as I'm reading it, which is what this one did.  In fact, I think I'll listen to it again now as today's musical soundtrack.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

4/24/2024 9:08 am  #12

I remember it took a bit to get into Hopeland but I loved it. 

4/24/2024 9:10 am  #13

I just finished the Adventures of Amina etc. I enjoyed it, but don’t really see it as Hugo quality. It’s a romp, but for me that was all it was. 

4/26/2024 7:07 am  #14

Kokipy wrote:

I just finished the Adventures of Amina etc. I enjoyed it, but don’t really see it as Hugo quality. It’s a romp, but for me that was all it was. 

That's a fair take. It was a fun, enjoyable read. Of the one's I've read, Translation State stands out. In order, 

Translation State by Ann Leckie -- As a Leckie fan, I looked forward to this one. Very good, a worthy addition to het Radch books. 
Witch King by Martha Wells -- Good, but it was missing *something* for me. No real tension in the story. I need to re-read. 

The Saint of Bright Doors by Vajra Chandrasekera -- Just finished. I found it slow and somewhat jumbled for the first 2/3 or so. It wrapped up better. I will read the sequel. 
The Adventures of Amina al-Sirafi by Shannon Chakraborty -- Enjoyable, good story. Pirates !

Some Desperate Glory by Emily Tesh -- Have not read yet. Looks to have potential. 
Starter Villain by John Scalzi  -- Scalzi. So, probably a quick fun read, but no more. 

4/26/2024 10:25 pm  #15

Ok. I'm about to try again to get started on Translation State.

4/27/2024 11:54 am  #16

Witch King seemed to me like a much earlier work, from a less accomplished writer than the Murderbot Wells has become.  I agree, it seemed slack. 
I just read Titanium Noir, on Surtac’s recommendarion.  I thought it was very good, more noir than I really like these days, but he sure did pin down the Raymond Chandler tone, in an interesting story line.  I expect he has more coming in that world? 

4/29/2024 11:57 pm  #17

Kokipy wrote:

Witch King seemed to me like a much earlier work, from a less accomplished writer than the Murderbot Wells has become.  I agree, it seemed slack. 
I just read Titanium Noir, on Surtac’s recommendarion.  I thought it was very good, more noir than I really like these days, but he sure did pin down the Raymond Chandler tone, in an interesting story line.  I expect he has more coming in that world? 

I'm very pleased you enjoyed it, Kokipy.  I absolutely loved it.

I've just found out that there is another book with that protagonist written but I don't know when it'll appear.  Apparently Harkaway's next book, due October this year, is one he was asked to write and is set in his father's fictional universe. You do know, right, that his father was the writer best known by the nom-de-plume John Le Carre?

4/30/2024 8:02 am  #18

No, I didn’t know that! Amazing.  I have read most of Le Carre but Harkaway is new to me. I expect he will do a better job of writing in Smiley’s world than Frank Herbert’s son did for Dune. 

Board footera

Contact the Guild