Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2024 9:36 pm  #21

Re: Three Body Problem

Aja Jin wrote:

Surtac wrote:

Yeah.  I haven't trusted the Hugos and Worldcon since the Sad Puppies showed how easy it was for the Hugos to be gamed.  I suspect that's what happened here to get Worldcon to China in the first place.  Once there, of course, they were then ripe for manipulation.

Btw, is Bluesky any good?  I fled Xitter as soon as the muskrat started to actively destroy it and haven't found a replacement I feel comfortable in yet.

Bluesky is ok, good number of sci-fi folks there. I have invites if you want one. 

Yes please.  I would appreciate having a look at it .

I've been thinking about what Star noted above and I think that I too have been losing connections in our current post-COVID lockdown worlds.  Rebuilding them is now a priority for me.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

1/26/2024 10:02 pm  #22

Surtac wrote:

Aja Jin wrote:

Surtac wrote:

Yeah.  I haven't trusted the Hugos and Worldcon since the Sad Puppies showed how easy it was for the Hugos to be gamed.  I suspect that's what happened here to get Worldcon to China in the first place.  Once there, of course, they were then ripe for manipulation.

Btw, is Bluesky any good?  I fled Xitter as soon as the muskrat started to actively destroy it and haven't found a replacement I feel comfortable in yet.

Bluesky is ok, good number of sci-fi folks there. I have invites if you want one. 

Yes please.  I would appreciate having a look at it .

I've been thinking about what Star noted above and I think that I too have been losing connections in our current post-COVID lockdown worlds.  Rebuilding them is now a priority for me.

bsky-social-52unf-n4eee

1/26/2024 11:14 pm  #23

Thank you, sir.  All set up and ready to play.  Surprisingly (to me) I even managed to get Surtac as the first part of my user handle.

I had to smile when Charlie Stross, Neil Gaiman and Katie Mack all appeared in the list of users it suggested I should follow.

1/27/2024 7:41 am  #24

Surtac wrote:

Thank you, sir.  All set up and ready to play.  Surprisingly (to me) I even managed to get Surtac as the first part of my user handle.

I had to smile when Charlie Stross, Neil Gaiman and Katie Mack all appeared in the list of users it suggested I should follow.

I’m neilraines.bsky.social, unless you get too much of me here 😉

1/28/2024 12:55 am  #25

Surtac.bsky.social here, now following you there.

I found enough SMOF connections and analysis and commentary links on Bluesky to convince me that my earlier speculation upthread is correct and that site selection for Chengdu was bought in 2021 obo Chinese interests.
I'll keep an eye on this year's Worldcon to see what further shenanigans ensue.

1/28/2024 4:23 pm  #26

Well that didn't take long.
I note that this year's Worldcon (in Glasgow) opened Hugo nominations a day or so ago and they've already had to pause them.
(1) Glasgow 2024, A Worldcon For Our Futures (@glasgow2024.bsky.social) — Bluesky

1/29/2024 1:03 am  #27

Surtac wrote:

I note that this year's Worldcon (in Glasgow) opened Hugo nominations a day or so ago and they've already had to pause them.
(1) Glasgow 2024, A Worldcon For Our Futures (@glasgow2024.bsky.social) — Bluesky

SMH 🙄

One world -- or none

1/29/2024 8:12 am  #28

Surtac wrote:

seems like a software glitch

1/29/2024 4:02 pm  #29

Aja Jin wrote:

Surtac wrote:

seems like a software glitch

Strange days indeed when I would actually prefer that to be the root cause of the problem.  Hopefully it is.

1/31/2024 10:35 pm  #30

Board footera

Contact the Guild