Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2024 10:36 pm  #1

Three Body Problem

I have just completed my fourth attempt at the much esteemed Three Body Problem. Each time I have failed to get past page 30. I feel a little bad about it, it’s probably a good book, but I’m concluding that the author has erected an obstacle that is too high for me to scale.
Anyone have advice?

Last edited by starexplorer (1/13/2024 10:37 pm)

One world -- or none

1/14/2024 12:06 am  #2

Re: Three Body Problem

Hmmn.  I've had this unread on the kindle TBR stack for several years now and kept forgetting about it.

As it happens, I'm between serious sf books right now as I wait for the new Al Reynolds to drop.  It's a quiet Sunday afternoon here right now and I have fresh coffee, so I'll pull it up and make a start on it.

In the immortal words of Fred Dagg, I'll get back to you shortly.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

1/14/2024 2:44 am  #3

Ok, the kindle app tells me I'm now 25% in.  I'm sitting at the beginning of chapter 8.

I'm finding it interesting enough to want to continue and finish it, at least at this point.  I do find the writing style to be quite flat and monochromatic almost but I have no idea whether that's the fault of the writer or the translator.

It's reminding me of some old classics in some ways but I'm not willing to drop any potential spoilers yet .

1/15/2024 2:24 pm  #4

Thanks ‘tac - I am following your progress with interest. I think it was the flat writing style that stymied me. Kokipy suggest to me also that part of the issue may lie in the translation. That’s unfortunate if so -

One world -- or none

1/15/2024 5:01 pm  #5

Another update: I'm at the start of Chapter 15 and 39% done.

It's definitely getting more interesting rather than less so.

1/16/2024 11:53 pm  #6

Seems like you have successfully traversed the main obstacle, the beginning

One world -- or none

1/18/2024 8:27 pm  #7

This one sat in the to-be-read file for a year, but once I powered through the introductory bits which WERE a slog, the rest of the story was engaging and I couldn't put it down. Eri-Guy isn't generally interested in what I'm reading, but I had to share the events with him as they unfolded, and I'm looking forward to the series. 

The world isn't perfect,that's why it's beautiful

1/18/2024 9:42 pm  #8

Currently at 62% done and still enjoying it.  Lots to think about.

I need to power on and finish it quickly, as I don't want to be distracted by the new Al Reynolds which has just dropped to the kindle nor by my copy of Justina Robson's new collection which also arrived this past week.

1/18/2024 9:47 pm  #9

I really regret not being able to get through the slog at the beginning. 4 tries!

One world -- or none

1/20/2024 12:57 am  #10

Ok.  I've finished it.  Overall, a thumbs up from me. 

It's late Saturday afternoon here and I need to think about it some more overnight.  I'll get my notes in some sort of order (Yes. I made notes.  I'm surprised too!) and come back with a longer reaction / analysis in the morning.

Board footera

Contact the Guild