Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2023 10:08 pm  #1

Halonic Symbiosis

Gentle friends,

(I debated putting this in the "babeling" section, but what the heck... )

One of the stories that I've been working on (for years!) is now available at

https://www.orionsarm.com/fm_store/Halonic_Symbiosis_v2.html

It's an "Interactive Fiction", meaning that it's in the form of a Web page. To read the (very short, partial) story and the (much longer) associated essays, you should click on appropriate links. To start with, you either can click on the link "Contents" or you can click on the picture of the book's front cover.

I'm sure it'll be somewhat confusing, since it takes place in the far distant future, 10,000 years from now, when AIs rule the galaxy.

Selden

P.S. It started out strictly emulating a physical book, meaning it was intended to be read sequentially. However, some early readers objected strenuously, so now you have to select between "Linear" and "Tabular" navigation options.

Most "Interactive Fictions" are actually "text adventure games." Given that expectation, you should explore some of the "book's" not-so-obvious options to fully experience what it has to offer.

s.

Selden

11/15/2023 10:37 pm  #2

Re: Halonic Symbiosis

Thanks Selden.  I'm off to investigate!

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

11/15/2023 11:29 pm  #3

Cool project!

One world -- or none

11/16/2023 10:18 am  #4

In  many respects, it's still a work in progress, so any suggestions would be *very* welcome. Please feel free to post them here, even though the contact information in the document says to post to the Orion's Arm forum.

Selden

11/19/2023 5:59 pm  #5

I've been having a look on and off over the last few days and it looks quite remarkable.  I can foresee it being potentially dangerous as a time-sink full of many dark and deep rabbit holes in need of exploration.

But despite that caveat, I do find it strangely attractive.  In some ways it mirrors a thought experiment I've been working on intermittently since retiring a couple years back.

11/19/2023 10:45 pm  #6

Recent developments in AI do make the likelihood of a near-term Singularity seem all that much more likely.

Some of the other underlying technological features of the Orion's Arm Universe Project ( https://www.orionsarm.com/ ) seem a bit less likely, though. (E.g. wormholes and magnetic monopoles.)

Selden

11/20/2023 6:32 pm  #7

Yeah.  Magnetic monopoles is a good example.  I think I first heard of those in Larry Niven's novel Protector from 50 years ago and nothing has eventuated yet to my knowledge.
The other example I like is the oft-repeated statement that workable nuclear fusion is just twenty years away.  But people have been saying that for over 40 years now iirc.

But I guess you need to put a line in the sand somewhere and make some basic starting assumptions so you can at least get going.

Board footera

Contact the Guild