Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/19/2023 8:10 pm  #11

Re: Defiance Has Shipped

Do you all remember when many years ago one or another of us would obtain an early copy and post a few sentences a day for those still waiting. We haven’t done that for years, but it was a fun tradition. No spoilers,since it was just the first few sentences in the book. 
I am going to go look at my digital pre orders, maybe it has arrived! But no spoilers, agreed. 

Last edited by Kokipy (10/19/2023 8:11 pm)

10/19/2023 8:30 pm  #12

Rock and sway, rock and sway as the Red Train raced along the track in a ceaseless envelope of sound,  It wearied the body, day upon day of it - at least - one assumed day and night, since the Red Train had no windows...just a little port atop the evacuation panel through which one could see a thin double handspan of sky.

One recalled too easily a handful of recent encounters with the world beyond that portal.  Tall wooden buildings looming beyond a thick veil of falling snow; a star-studded sky, turned to day by the roaring exhaust of a lander's engines; a terrifying bus ride between the Koperna rail station and the home of Brgani, Lord of Senjin.

A final glimpse of that same war-torn capital as the Red Train once again swallowed them up...

Last edited by joekc6nlx (10/19/2023 8:30 pm)

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

10/19/2023 8:35 pm  #13

Yes, I remember it well.  It was indeed a fun tradition.

If memory serves, it was often Busifer in Sweden(?) who was the lucky first recipient.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

10/20/2023 12:39 pm  #14

Thanks, Joe! And I think that’s right, Surtac. Once i was the lucky one

10/20/2023 1:36 pm  #15

Bren - Bren Cameron, paidhi-aiji, whichwas to say human translator to Tabini-aiji, the head of the atevi aishidi'tat - had, with his aishid, his bodyguard, been assisting Tabini's grandmother Ilisidi, the aiji-dowager, on...a little train trip.
That was how the aiji-dowager had described it, in prospect.

Thump-thump. Thump-thump.Constantly.  Eternally.

Bren lifted his head, swiped back strands of blond hair that escaped his ribboned queue.  He sat then, elbows on the too-high table, head in hands, with a cold cup of tea in imminent danger of vibrating itself off the edge.  A book lay open before him, his recent pillow.

"Nandi."  Narani set a fresh pot of tea on the let-down table, and silently provided a clean teacup, rescuing the cold one.

Supper had been his most recent meal.  Which meant it was, more than likely, dark outside.  Narani kept track of these things.

The light inside the car reflected them both off what appeared to be a velvet-curtained window, a window designed to hide armor plate, an illusion maintained on both sides of the wall - a smoky reflection, image of a travel-frayed human and an elegant and tall black ateva.

The motif throughout the original cars of the Red Train was dark wood carved in vines, or mythic figures, red velvet cushions, well-polished brass wherever metal was involved.  The Red Car itself, usually rearmost on the train, was centuries old, even predating the arrival of humans on the planet; and Ilisidi's car and this one might be of the same vintage as that ancient elegance.  Lighting was, in all the historic cars, live flame.  And where the lighting was, in mercy, not as old as the motifs, it mimicked fire with exquisite, hand-blown bulbs.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

10/20/2023 3:22 pm  #16

I bought the e-book version. I'm very behind on my hardcopy ownership.  Finished it.  First, non-spoilery impressions: I think some more editing work needs to be done to reduce the quantity of sometimes repetitive infodump.  That said, the payoff was great, and I feel like there's an attempt to bring a lot of threads together in this new arc.

In particular, I'd like to point out that over the series Bren has developed a felicitous tripartite role: a central government minister, a provincial lord/governor, and a diplomat/analyst/translator/negotiator -- the latter of which well surpasses his original ambit as "paidhi".  Most of the series to think point has focused on one or two aspects of his role.  Defiance focuses on all three roles simultaneously, which is very interesting. 

On the series as a whole, I think that CJC/JF have really fallen in love with the details of atevi society, culture, and politics, to the exclusion of the human/alien interface issues that were the bread-and-butter of the early series.  But the issue of the human interface can't be kept out forever, and there are some signs that the relationship is more complex than what we've seen so far...

10/21/2023 6:39 am  #17

That antique lamplight glistened gold across Narani's aquiline profile, lending a gold tint to honorably-gained silver hair, most properly queued and ribboned.

Bren, less elegant, had gotten a tea stain on his lace cuff, needed a shave, wanted a bath, and wished there were some chair, any sort of chair, that would let his feet rest comfortably on the floor.  A tallish human, he was of boyish size to an ateva.  His feet, in any seating designed for atevi, never touched the floor, and his person was, to say the least, unique on the mainland.

Narani was head and shoulders taller.  Atevi had universally black skin, black hair.  Gold eyes that, in the centuries-old lighting of the Red Train, often caught an eerie shimmer.  Keen night sight came with that trait.  Human eyes struggled with the print of the book Bren had been reading, on a table somewhat inconveniently high, with the lovely antique lamps.

10/21/2023 7:14 pm  #18

I'm rereading the series, so the quandary I'm facing is to finish the reread or jump to the new book.  

The world isn't perfect,that's why it's beautiful

10/22/2023 7:47 pm  #19

My copy just arrived - at least 4 days earlier than I was expecting it.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

10/24/2023 3:19 pm  #20

I agree with Eup-ji- more editing is indicated AND it is interesting to see Bren’s roles expand or at least to see his expanded roles acknowledged. But on the whole, a worthy addition. Having said that, my own favorites are when the atevi and  Bren are dealing with the spacing humans and other aliens. 

Board footera

Contact the Guild