Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2023 9:15 pm  #1

Some free alternate history available now.

I've just received word on the qt that John Birmingham has put the first book of his new Axis of Time alternate history of WWII and beyond trilogy up on Amazon for free for the next coupla days.
Here's a link:  https://amzn.to/3LuInpQ
So if you like your alternate history to be both thinky and chock full of 'splodey goodness, go check it out.  It's already queued up as my next kindle read.
Why has he done this?  Apparently even freebies can tickle the algorithms in positive ways.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

9/21/2023 2:34 am  #2

Re: Some free alternate history available now.

Just mentioning that here in the US you do have to sign up for Kindle Unlimited to get the free book, meaning unless you want to be charged $12/mo you have to cancel within 90 days. Aside from that detail, it looks like a fun read! Also, maybe another factor in his making the book free. Amazon probably throws him a bone. Or two.

One world -- or none

9/21/2023 4:02 am  #3

starexplorer wrote:

Just mentioning that here in the US you do have to sign up for Kindle Unlimited to get the free book, meaning unless you want to be charged $12/mo you have to cancel within 90 days. Aside from that detail, it looks like a fun read! Also, maybe another factor in his making the book free. Amazon probably throws him a bone. Or two.

Ok.  That's interesting.  My kindle account is on Amazon US, not Amazon AU.  I followed the link and the page I got to offered me the book via two ways: 1) sign up for kindle unlimited , or 2) simply buy the kindle edition for $0.  I chose the second and 'bought' it in the same way I do other kindle content.  It downloaded happily as usual and I was not forced to use kindle unlimited.

9/22/2023 8:35 am  #4

I chose the second option as well, and will be starting to read it as soon as my current read is over.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

9/22/2023 4:45 pm  #5

I am reading it now, it reads a lot like Turtledove.

9/22/2023 5:43 pm  #6

That doesn't surprise me at all.  He is a self-acknowledged fan of Turtledove's alternate history work.

9/23/2023 2:28 am  #7

Well this is very interesting. I have encountered discussion previously suggesting that Amazon prices may not  be uniform, and that their pricing algorithm may factor in predictions about the amount the buyer may be willing to pay. I wonder whether this is an example of this? In any case, checking again, I have two choices: Kindle Unlimited or $4.99.

One world -- or none

9/23/2023 1:22 pm  #8

It's just a bit disturbing that they'd gouge you like that.

9/23/2023 2:14 pm  #9

HRHSpence wrote:

It's just a bit disturbing that they'd gouge you like that.

Thanks, there’s that. But I’m actually more interested in whether that are actually tailoring their prices to the individual they whose history they're tracking. That would be notable, and if so I’d like to know about it. I like knowing how I’m being manipulated as a consumer. And it might also enable me to manage it better.

One world -- or none

9/23/2023 4:15 pm  #10

Interesting indeed.  I've just gone back to the initial email notification I received. and checked the links again.
On Amazon US its now either kindle unlimited or USD 3.86 ; on Amazon AU it's kindle unlimited or AUD 5.99 .
Ah well.

Board footera

Contact the Guild