Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2023 8:23 pm  #1

Locus Awards 2023

I note the top finalist lists for this years  Locus Awards are now out.

Link at 2023 Locus Awards Top Ten Finalists – Locus Online (locusmag.com) .

I look at that list and realise a couple of things immediately. Firstly, how few of those nominated books or works that I've read over the last year.  Secondly, how little interest or regard I have for the other works or authors I havent yet read.  Thirdly, and perhaps most disturbing of all, is how little I seem to care about the second point.

My current reading methodology has five books on the go at present, that I select from according to mood when I have some free time to read (this is a post COVID pandemic solution I needed to adopt) but only one of those books could be regarded as new SF/F and it's not an author that features in the Locus lists at all.

Why is this so, I ask myself?

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

4/28/2023 10:05 pm  #2

Re: Locus Awards 2023

Gettin' old, son, gettin' old.

4/30/2023 10:47 am  #3

I've actually read quite a few of them, and have a few more on the TBR list. Since retiring (almost 8 years ago, wow), my reading has increased, and I've (re)started collecting small press books (and have violently culled my collection of paperbacks and magazines).  To branch out, I'd recommend reading reviews and 'recommended reading'  on the Locusmag.com website

SCIENCE FICTION NOVEL
 The Red Scholar’s Wake, Aliette de Bodard (Gollancz; JABberwocky) -- very interesting (there are several set in the Xuya universe). I liked The Tea Master and the Detective the best.
The Spare Man, Mary Robinette Kowal (Tor; Solaris UK) -- meh, I'm not a big fan of her books. Over rated IMO​
Eyes of the Void, Adrian Tchaikovsky (Tor UK; Orbit US) -- very good series
Eversion, Alastair Reynolds (Gollancz; Orbit US) -- interesting with a surprising end

The Daughter of Doctor Moreau, Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Del Rey; Jo Fletcher) -- on my list, Mexican Gothic was good (but not SF) 
Sweep of Stars, Maurice Broaddus (Tor) -- sounds interesting
Sea of Tranquility, Emily St. John Mandel (Knopf; Picador; HarperCollins Canada) -- I really need to read this one
Goliath, Tochi Onyebuchi (Tordotcom) 
The Kaiju Preservation Society, John Scalzi (Tor; Tor UK). -- I'm hot/cold on Scalzi, will probably skip it
Neom, Lavie Tidhar (Tachyon) -- I haven't read Central Station yet  

FANTASY NOVEL  

The Grief of Stones, Katherine Addison (Tor; Solaris UK) -- very good, although slow to develop, not as good as Goblin Emperor but worth a read
The World We Make, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit US; Orbit UK). -- Unusual, knowledge of NYC would help a LOT. Not my favorite of hers, but pretty good (I DNF this one the first time, but got into it the second read)
Nettle & Bone, T. Kingfisher (Tor; Titan UK) -- One of my favorite authors. I prefer her fantasy, but would recommend everything she's written
Babel, R.F. Kuang (Harper Voyager US; Harper Voyager UK) -- excellent, will likely win awards 

When Women Were Dragons, Kelly Barnhill (Doubleday; Hot Key)
Spear, Nicola Griffith (Tordotcom)
Nona the Ninth, Tamsyn Muir (Tordotcom) -- haven't read yet, enjoyed the first two despite them being very weird
The Golden Enclaves, Naomi Novik (Del Rey US; Del Rey UK) -- good but not great. Worth a read if you need something light
Fevered Star, Rebecca Roanhorse (Saga; Solaris UK) -- haven't read but do like her earlier books
Siren Queen, Nghi Vo (Tordotcom) -- doesn't sound that interesting

4/30/2023 1:08 pm  #4

Surtac wrote:

I note the top finalist lists for this years  Locus Awards are now out.

Link at 2023 Locus Awards Top Ten Finalists – Locus Online (locusmag.com) .

I look at that list and realise a couple of things immediately. Firstly, how few of those nominated books or works that I've read over the last year.  Secondly, how little interest or regard I have for the other works or authors I havent yet read.  Thirdly, and perhaps most disturbing of all, is how little I seem to care about the second point.

My current reading methodology has five books on the go at present, that I select from according to mood when I have some free time to read (this is a post COVID pandemic solution I needed to adopt) but only one of those books could be regarded as new SF/F and it's not an author that features in the Locus lists at all.

Why is this so, I ask myself?

I have made similar observations myself. I have a story I tell myself, but I’ll only know over time. The last year has been crazy stressful as we get ready to relocate this June. My bandwidth for anything other than the onerous clicking off of hundreds of tasks has been severely restricted. I’d like to think that down the line, my reading will come back. How much it will focus on the latest award nominees…..I don’t know. 
I’ve been reading Kay’s The Lions of Al-Rassam for weeks. And it’s excellent, so something is up.

One world -- or none

4/30/2023 1:08 pm  #5

Aja Jin wrote:

I've actually read quite a few of them, and have a few more on the TBR list. Since retiring (almost 8 years ago, wow), my reading has increased, and I've (re)started collecting small press books (and have violently culled my collection of paperbacks and magazines).  To branch out, I'd recommend reading reviews and 'recommended reading'  on the Locusmag.com website

SCIENCE FICTION NOVEL
 The Red Scholar’s Wake, Aliette de Bodard (Gollancz; JABberwocky) -- very interesting (there are several set in the Xuya universe). I liked The Tea Master and the Detective the best.
The Spare Man, Mary Robinette Kowal (Tor; Solaris UK) -- meh, I'm not a big fan of her books. Over rated IMO​
Eyes of the Void, Adrian Tchaikovsky (Tor UK; Orbit US) -- very good series
Eversion, Alastair Reynolds (Gollancz; Orbit US) -- interesting with a surprising end

The Daughter of Doctor Moreau, Silvia Moreno-Garcia (Del Rey; Jo Fletcher) -- on my list, Mexican Gothic was good (but not SF) 
Sweep of Stars, Maurice Broaddus (Tor) -- sounds interesting
Sea of Tranquility, Emily St. John Mandel (Knopf; Picador; HarperCollins Canada) -- I really need to read this one
Goliath, Tochi Onyebuchi (Tordotcom) 
The Kaiju Preservation Society, John Scalzi (Tor; Tor UK). -- I'm hot/cold on Scalzi, will probably skip it
Neom, Lavie Tidhar (Tachyon) -- I haven't read Central Station yet  

FANTASY NOVEL  

The Grief of Stones, Katherine Addison (Tor; Solaris UK) -- very good, although slow to develop, not as good as Goblin Emperor but worth a read
The World We Make, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit US; Orbit UK). -- Unusual, knowledge of NYC would help a LOT. Not my favorite of hers, but pretty good (I DNF this one the first time, but got into it the second read)
Nettle & Bone, T. Kingfisher (Tor; Titan UK) -- One of my favorite authors. I prefer her fantasy, but would recommend everything she's written
Babel, R.F. Kuang (Harper Voyager US; Harper Voyager UK) -- excellent, will likely win awards 

When Women Were Dragons, Kelly Barnhill (Doubleday; Hot Key)
Spear, Nicola Griffith (Tordotcom)
Nona the Ninth, Tamsyn Muir (Tordotcom) -- haven't read yet, enjoyed the first two despite them being very weird
The Golden Enclaves, Naomi Novik (Del Rey US; Del Rey UK) -- good but not great. Worth a read if you need something light
Fevered Star, Rebecca Roanhorse (Saga; Solaris UK) -- haven't read but do like her earlier books
Siren Queen, Nghi Vo (Tordotcom) -- doesn't sound that interesting

Thank you for the notes!

One world -- or none

5/01/2023 9:38 pm  #6

Griff-ji, you're probably right.  I definitely seem to be getting less tolerant as I get older.

Aja Jin, thanks muchly for the analysis.  Fwiw, I liked the Reynolds and will read the Tchaikovsky, I like his stuff a lot.  I read and enjoyed Tidhar's Central Station, so will read Neom as well.  I agree with you completely about Kowal and would also put Scalzi in the same bucket - not worth wasting my time on.

Nothing in the fantasy list piques my interest, except possibly the Nicola Griffith based on past repute but am tempted to try the Kingfisher on your recommendation.

5/02/2023 4:31 pm  #7

A great start for T Kingfisher is A Wizards Guide To Defensive Baking. A great read, rather YA, for a time you want a light, fun book.  Another in the same YA realm is Minor Mage (read the blurb).  For a more adult read, try Clockwork Boys and Wonder Engine duo.  

5/02/2023 6:09 pm  #8

Aja Jin wrote:

A great start for T Kingfisher is A Wizards Guide To Defensive Baking. A great read, rather YA, for a time you want a light, fun book.  Another in the same YA realm is Minor Mage (read the blurb).  For a more adult read, try Clockwork Boys and Wonder Engine duo.  

Noted and thank you.  I do need to add something lighter to my current mix.  That first one sounds perfect.

5/15/2023 8:17 am  #9

The results are in for the Nebula award (Locus awards are announced at the end of June)

Babel wins best novel. No surpise at all, it's a really good read, and brings a modern and needed view of colonialism.  I expect/hope it will sweep the awards this year.

https://locusmag.com/2023/05/2022-nebula-awards-winners/

5/15/2023 5:33 pm  #10

Ok.  I'd better read it then, as it now meets my collecting criteria.

But I have to ask myself, how did I miss the anouncement event?

< smacks own forehead in sudden realisation >
Of course!  It was overshadowed by the much more important Eurovision final.

Board footera

Contact the Guild