Shej

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2023 4:02 pm  #1

I Have A New Owner

After losing my oldest cat to lymphoma in December, I've been hesitant about getting any more.  Sophie seems to be coming out of her grieving period, slowly, but she is acting a little less standoffish.  I looked at the county animal shelter, and decided on an older male cat named Freddy.  Freddy is declawed, which I find abhorrent, but seemed to be easygoing at the shelter.  He's definitely a big boy, I went to pick up the carrier to take him out to the car, quite heavy.
He's chilling in the bedroom by himself right now, he has food, water, and a litter box, and I'm giving him the time he needs to adjust before I let the other cats near him.  Well, Cindy usually sleeps in the bedroom with me, so she'll get a chance to meet Freddy first. 
I've never had a male cat before, this will be a first.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

2/27/2023 4:19 pm  #2

Re: I Have A New Owner

I hope it goes well, Joe, and that Freddy settles in quickly for both you and Sophie.

I myself have four feline overlords here at Chateau Dysfunction to keep this household under control.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

2/27/2023 5:59 pm  #3

The only thing I have had with male cats is marking their territory. The urine smell does NOT go away.  But my favorite cat was a neutered Maine Coon male. Good luck with your rehoused furball.

http://strengthofthehills.tripod.com/hanilanguageandculturepage/

The date I joined the original board: 12/04/2002

3/01/2023 8:32 am  #4

Happy new kitty and you.  Keep us posted.

"You must be mad," said the Cat, "or else you would not have come here."

3/01/2023 9:21 am  #5

He got sociable last night.

"Those who can give up essential liberties in order to purchase a little extra security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjamin Franklin
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." - Marcus Aurelius

3/01/2023 9:33 am  #6

nice looking cat

3/01/2023 3:49 pm  #7

He is very pretty.  Nice eyes too.

It's a strange world.  Let's keep it that way.

3/01/2023 4:09 pm  #8

He likes to snuggle, too.  Starved for affection, I'd say.

3/01/2023 4:12 pm  #9

Neutered toms don't territory mark. I'd never had a tom before up to 6 yrs back when I inherited one of the downstairs neighbor's cats. Now i have 2. From my experiences, tom's are a whole mot more mellow than queens. My greatest fear is urinary calculi issues: absolutely horrific in tom's. Both my boys are on urinary care kibble and added wet food because they need more moisture in their diets than queens  to help reduce urinary issues.

3/01/2023 6:58 pm  #10

Unless the tom went through puberty before he was neutered, then, he will continue his habits -- minus his parts.

Board footera

Contact the Guild